Canada - The True North, Strong and Free (v2)

I did a bit of poking around in the XML files and noticed you had commented out the actual coding to take out the Jet Fighter. I'm not sure if this is intentional for bug squashing or what have you, but I thought I'd let you know, Mabelair.

Specifically, it's in the Civ_Canada.xml on line 143. The end tag for the comment is at the </row> tag instead of after the comment you made on line 137 where it should be. Hope that helps out!

I haven't had a chance to play through the mod yet but the overall feel of the country seems great. However, I'm wondering what made you decide on MacDonald's trait. Added income is always awesome but I just don't see it as being a very fitting trait. I'm not really sure what I could suggest as an alternative though. Maybe something about added production from lumber mills and forests in general?

I was also working on adding Canada as a civilization and had some thoughts on units. They were part based off of Wyz_sub's Canada Mod for Civ 4. Here's what my ideas were:

Units:

Voyager: Replaces Scout. Ignores terrain movement penalties. Has the amphibious promotions
Rationale: I'm thinking that these guys as portaging around and as such they can get through the thick of forest, roll over hills with ease and pass over rivers without trouble as they have their trusty canoes. I was thinking of also giving Voyagers an added movement point but I think that's taking it too far.

Mounty: Replaces cavalry (I think that's right unit. I mean the mounted units with rifles). They receive a defensive bonus while within friendly borders. They provide a happiness bonus to a city while garrisoned.
Rationale: Mounties, to me at least, seem to be just fancy police. They go on parades and the such so that's where the happiness comes from. The defense bonus is just because Mounties are in place to keep the peace. Maybe that could be replaced with something like when garrisoned in annexed cities they cut the unhappiness by... 25%? 50%? That might work.

Avro Arrow: You've already covered this so there's not much to do for this one. I'm not too sure what you've done for this unit as far as bonuses go though.

Peacekeeper: I love the idea of having this kind of unit for Canada. However I'm not sure about it being based off of the paratrooper. I understand the unit is meant to be a quickly deployable and defensive unit. I'm not sure if this would make the unit too over powered but what if Peacekeepers had the ability to do the same kind of "rebase" or whatever it's called for missiles and air units but not into cities themselves but one hex distance from a city. It could also be that this ability can only be used for friendly cities and not Canadian cities... Maybe? Again, not sure if it'd be way over powered this way.

That's all I'll post for now. Let me know what you think and if it's positive maybe I'll post some more.

Actually, Mounties are an incredibly versatile force. They do indeed act as federal police, but they also have a very large scope of duties, which has actually been criticized as giving the RCMP too much to do and has been blamed for the many scandals that have befallen them. Seriously, just one after another. Anyways, here is an excerpt summing up their duties from Wikipedia:

...The RCMP is responsible for an unusually large breadth of duties. Under their federal mandate, the RCMP provides policing throughout Canada, including Ontario and Quebec. Federal operations include: enforcing federal laws including commercial crime, counterfeiting, drug trafficking, border integrity, organized crime and other related matters; providing counter-terrorism and domestic security; providing protection services for the Monarch, Governor General, Prime Minister, their families and residences, and other ministers of the Crown, visiting dignitaries, and diplomatic missions; and participating in various international policing efforts...the RCMP maintains units that provide investigational support to their own detachments, as well as smaller municipal police forces, including the investigation of major crimes such as homicides, forensic identification services, police dog services, emergency response teams, explosives disposal, undercover operations, and others. Under its National Police Services branch the RCMP provides support to all police forces in Canada through the operation of support services such as the Canadian Police Information Centre, the Criminal Intelligence Service Canada, Forensic Science and Identification Services, the Canada Firearms Centre and the Canadian Police College...

I like more Nations, and already added the German Translation to the Queen of Iceni Mod.
So here is the translation for the canadians.
This is just the NewText.xml so u must place it urself in the appropiate place.
I left the English Version also in the file.
Maybe u could add it permanently to ur Mod ;)

And now enjoy the Canadians german Civ V Fanatics :D

Btw: Would be nice if u could change the Leaderhead so it fits to the style of the game.

Attachments

• CanadaMultiLanguage.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 200
*snip*Specifically, it's in the Civ_Canada.xml on line 143. The end tag for the comment is at the </row> tag instead of after the comment you made on line 137 where it should be. Hope that helps out!

Thanks! Yeah, I had commented it out because it was causing the whole mod to break. I haven't had a chance to revisit it yet (between work and Med school, the weekdays are hard to find time in!), but I had planned on poking around a bit more deeply. It's definitely on my list of fixes.

I haven't had a chance to play through the mod yet but the overall feel of the country seems great. However, I'm wondering what made you decide on MacDonald's trait. Added income is always awesome but I just don't see it as being a very fitting trait. I'm not really sure what I could suggest as an alternative though. Maybe something about added production from lumber mills and forests in general?

I had a bit of a struggle to come up with the trait, and instead of deciding on something for MacDonald specifically (which could have been faster railroad building times, decreased maintenance on railroads/roads), I thought about Canada and its history more broadly. Evidently, Canada has always been a resource-based country, from furs, timber, all the way up to modern day uranium, gold, diamonds, potash, etc. Also, given our bountiful resources, we have always had a very positive balance of trade (less so recently, due to economic slowdown, of course), so I thought tieing in the added income to resources would be the best way to go about it. I had to settle for the strategic resources because I hadn't figured out how to increase gold value on all resources.

I was also working on adding Canada as a civilization and had some thoughts on units. They were part based off of Wyz_sub's Canada Mod for Civ 4. Here's what my ideas were:

Units:

*unit descriptions snipped*

That's all I'll post for now. Let me know what you think and if it's positive maybe I'll post some more.

Those are some great suggestions. I shied away from the mounties, because they tend to be overused as national symbols (even though they're so distinctive!), and wanted to dig a little bit deeper. I had originally used a Coureurs des Bois as a special unit, giving it special abilities slightly like your own, but I felt they just weren't special enough, so I scrapped the idea.

As for the Arrow, its bonus is essentially that you get a slightly weaker, but significantly cheaper Jet Fighter at the same time other civs are getting regular fighters. I felt that bumping up the jet fighter to the Flight tech was very powerful, so I increased its production cost slightly compared a regular fighter, and reduced its strength a little bit, to try and balance it out. Otherwise, it behaves just like any other jet fighter.

Finally, the peacekeeper was originally envisioned as a replacement for infantry, but an earlier poster suggested the paratrooper and I felt that the rapid deployment felt more natural using the paratrooper as a base.

Anyway, I really appreciate the comments and the opportunity to talk through the design choices that I make. Thanks so much for your thoughtful and well-organized thoughts!

I like more Nations, and already added the German Translation to the Queen of Iceni Mod.
So here is the translation for the canadians.
This is just the NewText.xml so u must place it urself in the appropiate place.
I left the English Version also in the file.
Maybe u could add it permanently to ur Mod ;)

And now enjoy the Canadians german Civ V Fanatics :D

Btw: Would be nice if u could change the Leaderhead so it fits to the style of the game.

Dude, that's totally awesome. I'll definitely include the German language text in the next version, if that's okay, with attribution, of course! Thanks so much. I planned on writing the French language text as well (appropriately!), so at least we'd have EN, DE and FR covered. ;-)

As for the leaderhead, I'd love to be able to do an art-deco rendition of that and all the graphics, but unfortunately, I have about as much artistic talent as a rock, so unless someone steps up to volunteer, you're stuck with what I can give you. ;-)

The leader should be the triumvirate of RUSH and Bob and Doug McKenzie's dog Hoser should be the special unit.

Cultural Stereotypes and Flying dogs ftw.

Dude, that's totally awesome. I'll definitely include the German language text in the next version, if that's okay, with attribution, of course! Thanks so much. I planned on writing the French language text as well (appropriately!), so at least we'd have EN, DE and FR covered. ;-)

As for the leaderhead, I'd love to be able to do an art-deco rendition of that and all the graphics, but unfortunately, I have about as much artistic talent as a rock, so unless someone steps up to volunteer, you're stuck with what I can give you. ;-)

Would be happy to see the translation in the mod, best way to get non forum users to play them ;)

And at least im not the only one who sucks in creating graphics :p

Hi again. I had some further thoughts on your replies.

I had a bit of a struggle to come up with the trait, and instead of deciding on something for MacDonald specifically ... *snipped*

I had a light go off in my head when you mentioned the abundance of Canada's natural resources. What if the UT was that strategic resources are increased by say, 25% or 50%? I still think it would be a good idea to have some kind of bonus from lumber mills and forests though (maybe because I'm from BC).

I had originally used a Coureurs des Bois as a special unit ... *snipped*

Oh man! The Coureurs des Bois would be an awesome unit! If it were to be pretty similar to what I described for the Voyageurs but also have them gain double gold from ruins. Or instead of gold from ruins they act as really weak Great Merchants to city-states; only giving at max 50 or 100 gold. The ability could also only be used once, or once per 5 or 10 turns and doesn't consume the unit when used in either case.

Or all that could be scrapped and they could maybe build roads like the Roman Legion does (I think that's the right unit).

Oh! Or.. they could be consumed inside of city-states to create a trade route to the capital. I'm not sure if there would be any benefit of this ability though.

**EDIT**

I had another idea for the Coureurs des Bois. What if they didn't make roads like Legion units but made another, less beneficial kind of road? They could be called trails or paths and they could be less effective than roads giving less of a bonus to movement and/or they could be temporary roads only lasting say around 10 to 15 turns on Epic or Marathon speeds. Again, I'm not sure how useful this ability would be. But outside of just being used for this mod (if it even does get used) I think adding this kind of trail building would be a pretty cool addition to the game. It could be that all scouts could make these trails that take a couple of turns to complete and don't make it so trade routes can be established between cities.

**EDIT**

As for the Arrow ... *snipped*

Yes, the Arrow. Since the plane was meant to be a primarily interceptor, what if it received a small bonus to interception? like 15% or 25%. Though, with the plane being already lower in the tech tree maybe it's good just as it is.

Now I'd like to talk about some unique buildings. Again, like with the units I mentioned before, they are based off of Wyz_sub's mod. I wouldn't say all of these would need to be a improvement to existing buildings in some way, maybe just as flavour:

Coffee and Doughnut Shop: I'm not sure if it would replace anything. It could be a new building on its own. Adds 1 happiness and 2 culture. Adds the Double Double promotion for Mounties.
Rationale: I think you can see what I'm trying to reference here ;). The bonuses seem reasonable to me. Tim Horton's definitely seems to have a bit of cultural significance to Canadians and who doesn't like having a nice cup of coffee and a cruller? This is also why I would have liked Mounties in with the mod. With the Double Double promotion mounties would receive a bonus to either attack or defense while in Canadian borders. I'm don't have quite a good idea for what this kind of bonus could be.

CBC Tower: replaces radio tower (I think that's its name). Costs less production, adds less culture.
Rationale: While CBC is known to pretty much every Canadian I think it doesn't have that much of an impact on Canadians. The tower will be a relatively cheap and quick way to add culture to each city.

I think that's all I have for now. I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts on these ideas. See y'all later!

Noob question, where do I find this mod? I would love to use it, I just don't know how to download it. Seems like everyone else does, so I know I'm just a noob. Any help?

For the people that need the install directory; it should be something similar to the following:

Win 7
C:/Users/<User Name>/My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/

Win XP
C:/Documents and Settings/<User Name>/My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/

And it shouldn't matter if you bought the Steam version of the game or a box copy, these should be your installation paths. I hope that helps!

I'm also pretty sure this mod shows up in the mod browser in the game.

I've come across some issues while playing a game as the Canadian Empire and I thought I'd share them. I'll mention that I was also playing this mod along with a crap ton of other ones so these problems might be conflicts with other mods but I somehow doubt it.

St. Johns
This city name in-game has the tags that are included in the xml file so it ends up looking something like "CITY_NAME_TXT_ST_JOHNS".

I would also recommend adding more Canadian cities to the list. When I was creating my mod I came across this (http://bit.ly/8dnmkj) to help fill out my list of cities. I would just give you the file I created for the cities but I have since deleted all my files.

Avro Arrow
The icon for unit can't be found when starting up the game for the first time. I didn't really see what icon was missing until I could build the unit. The specific icon is what shows up in the city build panel. Instead of showing the unit icon there is a partial, blank round bordered icon.

Aside from that it also seems I can't re-base my Arrows to any other city within its range or even carriers.

Peacekeepers
These guys also have the same problem for their icon as the Arrow.

That's all I've come across so far. Hopefully my input here can help you polish this mod up real good.

**EDIT**

I've also thought of another idea for the Peacekeeper. What if, instead of having the Paratrooper ability they had their own based off of the Gift a Unit option for City-States. What I mean by that is, the unit has an ability that once selected allowed you to choose a friendly or Canadian city to send the unit to. The unit would disappear for a certain amount of turns then reappear at the selected city. This sounds like it could be a lot of work with coding but would give the unit a much more unique feel.

Thinking about it though, it does seem pretty damn overpowered. I would think there would need to be a limitation on how this ability could be used. Maybe a turn limit on how often the ability could be used. Or maybe just a condition on the unit themselves. Weak offense? Can't attack? Who knows!

**EDIT**

I've come across some issues while playing a game as the Canadian Empire and I thought I'd share them. I'll mention that I was also playing this mod along with a crap ton of other ones so these problems might be conflicts with other mods but I somehow doubt it.

St. Johns
This city name in-game has the tags that are included in the xml file so it ends up looking something like "CITY_NAME_TXT_ST_JOHNS".

The reason is that the file NewText.xml in /XML/NewText is missing the 'S' at the end of TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ST_JOHNS ... it shows as TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_ST_JOHN

Just add the 'S' and that should fix it.

Thanks both of you for your diligent bug hunting, and for helping people find their install paths. I'll have to add more cities to the mix. Fool that I was thinking 15 of them would be enough. ;-)

The icon issue still continues to confuddle me. Of course, I won't be able to get around to these fixes until after Tuesday the 19th, but I will give it a good go after that, for sure.

I was just remarking to my husband yesterday that it seems like all of a sudden, time vanished for the next few weeks. I guess that's what I get for trying to get a Master's degree while working full time. LOL!

Hey, no worries about being busy. I know what it can feel like. I'm glad you're still wanting to work on your mod. I just hope it can become a must have mod and it seems already off to a good start. I'll continue to post thoughts and suggestions to see if something sticks.:D

Good work on the mod so far, it is obvious that a lot of effort went into its design.

I feel the trade surplus trait is too weak compared to the other stock civilizations, as 2 gold per strategic resource tile is barely noticible. Also, both of the unique units appear so late in the game that they have minimal impact.

An idea to buff trade surplus would be to have each left over strategic resource generate gold, to give benefits to having a real surplus of resources.

For example,

each unused horse resource gives 1 gold
each unused iron resource gives 1 gold
each unused coal resource gives 2 gold
each unused oil resource gives 2 gold
each unused aluminum resource gives 3 gold
each unused uranium resource gives 3 gold

I don't know if this can be done with the current modding tools.

This way you'll have an incentive to create a large empire that covers as many strategic resources as possible, and to settle the fringe areas of the map that always have an abundance of unclaimed resources.

Good work - but I agree with others that the Arrow shouldn't be the unique unit. It was never actually put into service.

Courier des Bois is a fine idea - maybe some sort of scout/explorer/musketman that travels rapidly along rivers and can build trading posts?

As for the other unique, perhaps a building. Hockey Rink is the obvious one though, but I'll ask a history friend.

For the unique civ bonus, Canada doesn't currently have a trade surplus. It really depends on the business cycle, but its not something thats necessarily Canadian, and even if it were it wouldn't be unique to Canada. You could give Canada a diplomatic bonus, a bonus when fighting a war with allies, or perhaps increased city growth in any city connect by road/rail to the capital (to recreate the massive expansion west once the Canadian National Railway was completed).

Also...I think you mean "CN Tower", not "CBC Tower". But thats a unique building, if anything it should be a wonder, giving broadcast towers to every city or something.

Is this still actively being worked on? If not I might consider working on a new Canada mod, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if this one is still active.

It's a great mod, but could use some improvements. Here are a few suggestions:

- The colors need to be tweaked so that it doesn't conflict with Japan
- Needs more cities
- Needs a unique unit/building/trait which has an impact earlier in the game. Currently both UU come late in the game.

Suggested building:

Trading Fort (to represent the trading posts and forts of the Hudson's Bay Company)
- Available with Trapping (maybe too early?)
- Percentage bonus to gold (10%?); +1 culture (to represent the territorial acquisition/control trading posts had) and a gold bonus (+5g) with Furs

Thanks both of you for your diligent bug hunting, and for helping people find their install paths. I'll have to add more cities to the mix. Fool that I was thinking 15 of them would be enough. ;-)

I'm not sure if they are all like this, but I know Germany (the in-game one) has 52 cities in it........

Top Bottom