RawSasquatch/Kramer's New Civilizations

I think the setup Scapegrace described is pretty good. Would need to ensure that those Mountain bonuses aren't OP, but I'd play that Civ.

Wow, you guys got a lot of stuff done while I was hibernating, huh? I suppose you didn't see the rough draft for Kurdistan that I put into the OP in place of Scotland, but it was incomplete, anyway. We can merge the two ideas and make them work. But first, let me address the icon. I love it, COF! I also quite like the color scheme, but a few things I'd like to say: 1, I might want to include both the more unique Eagle that you've made that icon around as well as the more recognizable Kurdish Sun, ala JFD's Armenia having 2 icons included. 2, I won't be able to test it out in-game for quite a while, but if you're concerned about contrast, perhaps making the icon a bright shade of yellow as opposed to a dark shade of green would help. Either way, it's an awesome icon you did!

Now, onto the actual balance: I do love that design, but I wholly intend to include the Peshmerga as a unique unit, so something's gotta give. Either we get rid of the Carduchoi, and lose both our early-game military relevance and our synchronicity with the UA's hill bonus, or we get rid of the Citadel and lose our enhanced bonus to Mountains. I cast my vote against the Carduchoi, because we could easily give some of its bonuses to the Peshmerga instead. Also, that city list is awesome! Though I'm on the fence as to whether we should call the capital by its correct Kurdish name, Hewlêr, or by its much more recognizable English name of Erbil. (I share your sentiments about Batman, rest assured.) And that DOM is great, but it's a bit short. It's a wonderful start, however! Very good work, Scapegrace!

Now, onto the subject of music. I found some playlists of Classical Kurdish Music, but I haven't had the time to sit down and listen to all the songs, though the first track in that video (0:00-3:56 - "Sar Aghaz") sounds quite lovely, and might work as a peace theme if none of the others work out better. But, to put everything together into a solid working design:

Kurdistan - Mustafa Barzani
Unique Ability: No Friends But The Mountains
Defensive Terrain Bonuses on Hill Tiles are doubled. Gain +1 :c5culture: Culture in the :c5capital: Capital for every three Mountain tiles within your borders.
Unique Unit: Peshmerga
Replaces Infantry. Moves at double speed through Hills, can cross Mountains with no attrition damage, and provides a small boost of :tourism: Tourism with all civs upon Liberating a city.
Unique Building: Hewlêr Citadel (Could use a better name on second thought, given that the Citadel is already an existing improvement. Hewlêr Tell?)
Replaces Walls. +5 :c5strength: City Strength, +50 Health. Allows Mountains in this city to be worked for +1 :c5production: Production and +1 :c5food: Food; bonuses doubled if the City is founded on a Hill. +1 :c5strength: Strength per Mountain in working range.

Responses? Critiques? Suggestions? All are welcome, as there's still plenty of time before I even get started on this, let alone finish the civ.

Would still play it in a heartbeat.

A thought occurs...

UU: Peshmerga (replaces Gatling Gun)
Costs less than the Gatling Gun it replaces, but has lower :c5rangedstrength: Ranged Combat Strength (ca. 24?). Double Movement on Hills and can move through (and shoot over) Mountains without suffering Attrition. Receives a 50% :c5rangedstrength: Combat Bonus when attacking if the Peshmerga is on a Hill and the other unit is not.
---
Best of both worlds, I fancy.

Also, this is why I think we should keep the capital as Hewler-Packard rather than Erbil: we can then call the Walls replacement the Urbilum/Erbil/Arbil/wtfever Fastness. We can keep a theme of using the Kurdish names for stuff (Batman notwithstanding, because nothing can withstand BATMAN), using the Assyrian and Turkic name for the UB. Hell, Babylon has the Walls of Babylon able to be built all over the place, why can't Kurdistan?

Finally, I'll get to padding out the first paragraph if you want me to. However, I've been conditioned by TP WHO HAS NEVER BEATEN ME WITH STICKS OR INAPPROPRIATELY TOUCHED ME to try and get these things to last about a minute, 1:15 tops. I timed it and it came out just right. Of course, it's very much your party, so~ =]

Eh, I want to keep the Peshmerga as a Modern Infantry replacement. Though I suppose we could perhaps incorporate (a slightly nerfed version of) the attacking bonus from hills as part of the UA. Whether it applies to all units attacking from Hills to Flat terrain, or just ranged units, it would be a good compromise. And sure, I guess we can keep the capital Hewler and the UB the Erbil Tell/Erbil Citadel. In the meantime, I believe I will attempt to get started at a leader scene. I'll check back in once I've made some progress on it.

Eh, I want to keep the Peshmerga as a Modern Infantry replacement. Though I suppose we could perhaps incorporate (a slightly nerfed version of) the attacking bonus from hills as part of the UA. Whether it applies to all units attacking from Hills to Flat terrain, or just ranged units, it would be a good compromise. And sure, I guess we can keep the capital Hewler and the UB the Erbil Tell/Erbil Citadel. In the meantime, I believe I will attempt to get started at a leader scene. I'll check back in once I've made some progress on it.

Erbil citadel sounds better; Tell isn't the right word...

I love them! I'll probably end up testing both color schemes in-game when the time comes, but I already think this looks better than the green does.

This thread is starting to die a bit, so I've gotta inject some hype to revive it. Guess which civ has all its non-3D art finished?

This thread is starting to die a bit, so I've gotta inject some hype to revive it. Guess which civ has all its non-3D art finished?
Is it everyone's favourite Confederate States' president?

That map is amazing.

You betcha! Thank Janboruta for his awesome work!
Utterly amazing!
The more I see of Janboruta's art (and of course also the art of others of similar talent), just makes my own leaderscene (for my upcoming Corsica civ) look like a bad attempt to cut/paste random body parts together in paint :eek:

Anyways, the art is superb. Looking forward to it being released.

That being said, are you going to stick with the UI for this civ?

I definitely intend to stick with the Antebellum Manor, though I might play with the yields a bit. (Nothing by default, +1 Culture and +2 Gold on Cotton and Silk, +1 Culture and +1 Production next to cities, +1 Production during war.) Hopefully I can convince our benevolent Bolivian overlord, Leugi, to squeeze a model somewhere into his to-do list.

Also, a friendly reminder that the list of things needed for each civ's completion is in my second post on the first page. The only thing California needs before final playtesting is pedia entries and dialogue, and CSA could use some pedia entries + dialogue too. Anyone who wants to help with any of that is a godsend.

Davis looks amazing. I am really excited to play with the Confederates. Even if you decide not to use my suggestions. :)

What sort of dialogue do you want for California and the CSA? Just opening, declaration of war, and defeat?

More or less, yep. I've got dialogue for William B. Ide, so only John Muir and Jefferson Davis need dialogue. And 2 special requests, if possible: Muir had a very lovely way with words, and based off of one of his famous quotes, I'll make one of his defeat lines "The mountains are calling, and I must go." And if at least one of Davis's defeat lines could be a denying "War of Northern aggression!" type line, just to go along with his extremely hostile, trouble-making in-game personality, that would be perfect. Other than those 2, be as creative as you can, and thank you very much in advance.

I tried to use real quotes as the basis for all lines if possible.

Muir
Greeting: "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains. Do you deserve such a greeting from California?"
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. In your walk you have reached California. What do you intend to do with your finding?"
War: "God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools like you. That falls to me."
"This time it is real. All must die, and where could a mountaineer find a more glorious death! I hope you find a good mountain."
Defeat: "The mountains are calling, and I must go."
"The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark."

Davis
Greeting: "All we ask is to be let alone. Would you be so kind as to do that from now on?"
"Welcome to the Confederacy. We would be honored if you pay respect to our people."
War: "I worked night and day for twelve years to prevent the war, but I could not. You were mad and blind, would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war has come."
"The time for compromise has now passed, and the South is determined to maintain her position, and make all who oppose her smell Southern powder and feel Southern steel."
Defeat: "If the Confederacy has fallen, there should be written on its tombstone: Died of a Theory."
"This is a war of Northern Aggression! The South has valiantly defended its values and lands. We will never die."

Top Bottom