The Dragon Age Mod Project

Any progress? Just returned

I've managed to get Civitar's elven units working for the Dalish, so that is a huge win in my books (still having some difficulty with the worker, however).
Spoiler :

I'm also redoing some of the art for the Dalish; making it better (hopefully you've noticed the updated Marethari icon in the main post). So, progress is still moving forwards, however it is going a bit slower than it normally would, as I'm also helping Civitar with some icons for his Warhammer mod.

Not able to get worldbuilder to open sadly...any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Depends on what exactly the issue is. Are you getting any error messages?

Resolved the worldbuilder issue, on my way to crafting Thedas!

Yay! Glad to hear it!

BTW; I'm thinking of adding a third unique unit/building for each civ; thoughts?
Possibilities:
-Ferelden - Caer (replaces castle, provides additional production towards the building of melee units)
- Orlais - Ballroom (replaces constabulary, provides culture)
- Kirkwall - Undercity (Replaces aqueducts, costs no upkeep)
- The Dalish - Craftsman (replaces workshop, provides Ironbark luxury resource)

Maybe an idea for V2s after the mod is completed. I don't think we should be going back to anything thats done now though.

Oh, not sure if you have it on the wonder list yet or not, but Black Emporium should be on there, should give a free market and additional gold...or provide added defense.

Oh, not sure if you have it on the wonder list yet or not, but Black Emporium should be on there, should give a free market and additional gold...or provide added defense.

Oh, that's brilliant!

I've managed to get Civitar's elven units working for the Dalish, so that is a huge win in my books (still having some difficulty with the worker, however).
Spoiler :

I'm also redoing some of the art for the Dalish; making it better (hopefully you've noticed the updated Marethari icon in the main post). So, progress is still moving forwards, however it is going a bit slower than it normally would, as I'm also helping Civitar with some icons for his Warhammer mod.

I like those, but your reskin of the one elf is waaaay too blue. I would darken it some, maybe add some more texture.

I like those, but your reskin of the one elf is waaaay too blue. I would darken it some, maybe add some more texture.

Actually, I only put in the bright blue to see what parts of the mesh were what on the model. I've since fixed that up.
Spoiler :

Just an update to all, Thedas has been created (the outline at least) with rough city placement.

Obviously, since I dont yet have all the DA civs, I've just used placers from the normal game, and it is not yet pristine, not as much as I'd like, but it's recognizably Thedas at least.

Will be working on terrain and details moving forward. Much more of a process than I had originally thought.

Sorry for little to no updates, but I've been a tad busy lately.

I've now learned how to greatly improve the unique diplomatic dialogue for a custom civ, and have already implemented some changes to the Kirkwall and the Dalish mods to reflect that.

I've also laid down a bit of the groundwork for Nevarra, Tevinter, and Rivain. Not sure which one to really sink my teeth into, as they all have their specific challenges to overcome.

Just tossing this out here since I think it looks pretty badass myself, behold: the Blood Mage icon for the Tevinter mod.

Wow, I have no idea about Dragon Age's setting at all, but I can certainly appreciate an amazing icon when I see one, this one does look really nice.

This looks really good. The inquisition, the templars, the red jennies... could somehow be new versions of "social policies", I think.

I agree that Darkspawn instead of barbarians makes perfect sense.

Re-posting here from the Unit Request thread regarding your Qunari units request:

That would be awesome; and I definitely plan on continuing to help Civitar with his Warhammer art.

For the Qunari units; yeah, basically every unit up until the Renaissance, minus the musketman and the cannon, I would want. Simply adding horns to the vampire swordsman model, and maybe making the hair white and greying up the skin would be all that's necessary.

However, if you do want to go above and beyond, then I suppose for the units of the ancient era, having them look like this guy (no armour waist up) would work:
Spoiler :

And then for Classical to Renaissance, using the more armoured ones would work great as well:
Spoiler :

I suppose as far as female units go, the Tamassrans; their priests/teachers are female, so It could deffinitely work for their religious units. Here are some references if you need them:
Spoiler :

And then for UU's, I was thinking the Arishok; a combat-capable great general replacement. (If need be, I could probably find a good .mesh file of his in-game model from Dragon Age 2, if it would help).
Spoiler :

and then the Dreadnought; a powerful ship;
Spoiler :

And then eventually, I want to get to a total-conversion mod that contains mages and templars. In which case, their mages would look like this:
Spoiler :

It is a LOT to ask, I know, but I think it would result in an amazing final product. As I said at the top, I do in fact plan on continuing to work with civitar, and whenever you need any 2D art; just let me know.

Hmmm, I'll see what I can do; I can definitely move forward on the base units.

There is some really good material from DeviantArt, lots of DA fanatics out there! I was able to download and import these Qunari meshes but they are all very high-poly units (much more detail than typical CiV units):

Spoiler :

I already made a .blend of the basic unit:
Spoiler :

From here, it's a simple rig to the equivalent CiV unit of your choice. I can use the same weapon as the CiV unit or import unique ones provided I can find mesh and textures for them. Once you start getting into mages and the like is when I will have to get creative with custom effects; since these are primarily humanoid I hopefully won't need to deal with custom animations too much, however. A good example is my Sorcerer unit, of which you are now aware has custom effects but yet still utilizes basic Scout animations.

I will be on the lookout for female and hero units that I can utilize, and of course I will ensure proper credit to the original artist(s) if used.

Re-posting here from the Unit Request thread regarding your Qunari units request:

Hmmm, I'll see what I can do; I can definitely move forward on the base units.

There is some really good material from DeviantArt, lots of DA fanatics out there! I was able to download and import these Qunari meshes but they are all very high-poly units (much more detail than typical CiV units):

Spoiler :

I already made a .blend of the basic unit:
Spoiler :

From here, it's a simple rig to the equivalent CiV unit of your choice. I can use the same weapon as the CiV unit or import unique ones provided I can find mesh and textures for them. Once you start getting into mages and the like is when I will have to get creative with custom effects; since these are primarily humanoid I hopefully won't need to deal with custom animations too much, however. A good example is my Sorcerer unit, of which you are now aware has custom effects but yet still utilizes basic Scout animations.

I will be on the lookout for female and hero units that I can utilize, and of course I will ensure proper credit to the original artist(s) if used.

That looks amazing; thank you so much for this.

I'll see if I can find a good female Qunari model as well, though it'll be tough since the player character in Inquisition is the only female qunari that has yet to show up in any of the games.

Just wanting to rattle off a few ideas I've had in regards to the eventual total conversion Dragon Age mod.

The idea is to cut off everything in the tech tree after the Renaissance, and then add a bunch more units, buildings, and techs to stretch the remaining tree out over the 10 ages so far of Thedas. That originally included completely removing archeology and antiquity sites, but I had an idea; Why not rename the antiquity sites to Elven Ruins or Lost Thaigs, and have some sort of archeologist replacement be able to dig them up? Instead of yielding artifacts, they could give something akin to what the in-game ancient ruins do, but better stuff, with custom texts each time one is excavated.

Some examples I've thought of:

A thorough search of the Elven ruins yielded the discovery of a set of runes that seemingly describe a technique for magically strengthening heavy armour. We can use this technique on our own soldiers. +10% combat strength for all of our melee units

Our researchers studying the abandoned thaig have discovered a scroll that describes the formula for a smokeless fuel. The ingredients are fairly common, and we can use this fuel for our forges. +2 happiness in every city with a forge

Though the ruins had, for the most part, been long since picked clean by scavengers, our researchers did manage to come across a hidden storeroom containing medical journals. One journal in particular outlined a potent medication designed for halla. Our researchers assure us that the same medication could be used on horses. +1 movement speed for all mounted units

On the third day of exploring the thaig, our researchers were ambushed by darkspawn and had to flee. The only thing they were able to bring with them was a scroll containing the recipe for an ancient dwarven lichen ale. The surviving researchers assure us that the ale is safe for human consumption. Taverns* can now be built in all cities, without resource requirements.

The only thing is, I have no idea how to implement this; obviously, it's lua, but I know so little about lua. Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea, regardless?

* - see next post about taverns.

Since new units and buildings will be required, here are a few ideas:

Buildings:

-Tavern (Provides gold and happiness, requires wheat or wine in the city. The Ferelden Brothel will be a replacement of this, and will not have resource requirements)
-Inn (Provides happiness. Must be built in the capital, or cities with a connection to the capital)
-Blacksmith (requires iron, copper, gold, or silver. Increases production of all land units. requirement for forge)
-Canals (Must be built in coastal city. Increases production and gold.)
-Well (Carries over food from turn. Requirement for aqueduct)
-Circle of Magic (Increases production of mage units. Requires lyrium)
-Wharf (Increases sea trade route range and gold. Requirement for docks)
-Trade Depot (Increases gold. Requires market)
-Palisade (Increases city defense. Requirement for walls)
-Star Fort (Increases city defense. Requires castle.)
-Alchemist's Lab (Increases science. Requires library. Requirement for university)
-Drill Square (Provides military units with experience. Requires barracks. Requirement for Armoury)
-Siege Works (Increases production of siege weapons)
-Archery Range (Increases production of Archery units)
-Tailor's Shop (Requires wool, cotton, or cattle; provides happiness and increases production of required resources and dye)

Units

Naval
-Cog (Range, upgrades to holk)
-Barque (Range, upgrade from Galeass, upgrades to Frigate (frigate will be strongest ranged naval unit))
-Galley (Melee, upgrade from trireme, upgrades to Carrack)
-Carrack (Melee, upgrades to caravel (Caravel will upgrade to Privateer, privateer will be strongest melee naval unit)
-Holk (Range, upgrades to galeass)

Land

-Longbowman (Upgrades from composite bowman, upgrades to crossbowman)
-Horse Archer (Upgrades from chariot archer, requires horses)
-Militia Cavalry (Upgrades to horseman, requires horses)
-Axeman (Upgrades to broadaxeman, stronger than warrior and spearmen, weaker than swordsman.)
-Broadaxeman (Stronger than swordsman, weaker than longswordsman)
-Balista (Upgrades to catapult)
-Seige Tower (Melee siege unit)

Templar units (same stats as base-game units, but with 50% combat against mage units - all require lyrium)
-Templar Swordsman
-Templar Longswordsman
-Templar Archer (longbowman)
-Templar Crossbowman
-Templar Horseman
-Templar Knight

Mage units (all require lyrium)
-Mage Apprentice (Upgrades to mage)
-Mage (Upgrades to Grand Enchanter)
-Grand Enchanter
-Arcane Healer (Weaker combat stats than grand enchanter, but partially heals self and nearby allies at the end of each turn)

Top Bottom