Best Flanking Manuver Ever

Wrymouth3

Emperor
Discuss

It was probably conducted during the best war ever. So what's the best war in history?

I nominate WWII, since it has the highest score

Napoleon's Ulm campaign?

I liked Desert Storm, which was flanking on a grand scale.

I suppose technically you could call Midway a flanking maneuver. The Japanese were attacking in 1 direction and were counterattacked from a different one.

Does Hannibal's double envelopment at Cannae count?

Does Hannibal's double envelopment at Cannae count?

Yes, it's a famous one. Another massive one was Genghis Khan's attack on Khwarezm (who ruled Persia at the time). You can have flank attacks at tactical level or strategic.

If we are going by historical importance, maybe Epaminondas at Leuctra, given his idea caused the first massive defeat of Spartan homioi, and ultimately paved the way for changes leading to Alexander.

Dont know if that was the best flanking maneuver ever overall, but undoubtedly it was the best gay flanking maneuver ever.

Would the Blitzkrieg count?

The French Army and British Expeditionary Force were flanked. The French Army surrendered not because it was beaten in battle, but because it was cut off from support. I don't know that it would count in Poland, because there the Germans just went through the Poles, rather than around them.

The Ulm Campaign in 1805 has been mentioned, but it is my favorite. Marshall Ney set up the Austrian retreat into Ulm by winning the Battle of Elchingen on October 14th, 1805.

Another is Stonewall Jackson's Harper's Ferry Campaign. He took 12,700 union prisoners and loads of small arms and wagons. His own casualties were 209 if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom