Collaborative Civs by Xanatos Industries

David Xanatos

Evil(?) Mastermind
Greetings from Xanatos Industries! As you may be aware, despite our recent arrival in your community, our inquiries into the possibilities of collaborative projects have already yielded fruit, sparking multiple endeavors. Here, we will attempt to catalog their progress regularly, as well as announce new projects. Currently, one of our upcoming releases is already being covered by our partner in that collaboration. You can find it here.

A list of our current projects and their collaborators can be found below. Thank you, and we hope you continue to put your trust in us.

------------------------

Dr. Cortex's Mutant Empire

Leader

Dr. Neo Cortex
The infamous villain of Crash Bandicoot fame, finally completing the trio of video game mad scientist civs on the workshop! What better way to celebrate Crash's 20th anniversary?

UU: [In development]

UA: [In development]

City Names: Castle Cortex, Iceberg Lab, Cortex Vortex, Chronopolis, Potoroo City, Native Fortress

Spy Names: N. Brio, N. Gin, N. Tropy, Nina, Fake Crash, Tiny, Ripper Roo, Dingodile

DoM Speech:

[In development]

Leader Screen
(Too large to put in the post, find it here: https://i.imgur.com/pzOcKY0.png )

Collaborators: None, yet. Still looking for help with programming and some art.

----------------------------------
Finished Projects

Dr Wily's Robot Empire: Download here.

Collaborator(s): bouncymischa

Gravity Falls: Download here.

Collaborator(s): GPuzzle, DoktorApplejuce

Yay!
You might want to post placeholders.

So, a quick review of what I'll probably be coding, since this is a relatively easy Civilization thanks to the most complicated Lua being literally on the Con Artist idea I have (I will also be adding supports to Cultural Diversity, CIV Traits and Unique Cultural Influence).

UA: Tourist Trap: +2 Gold from Great Works. Open Borders transfer an extra +25% Tourism.

UB: Mystery Shack: Museum Replacement. No mantainance cost. Has an increased Theming Bonus (+3) and an extra Great Work Slot.

UU: Con Artist: Great Artist replacement. Upon being born, recieve a sum of gold equal to your current Culture production.

It should be relatively easy. The UA is a Dummy Policy (aka, making an unusuable policy and inserting it into the Civ), the UB is quite easy, in fact, but I need to add a few things to make it useable, and the UU should be the more interesting one but again, very easy.

Moderator Action: Moved to the main Creation & Customization forum as there is no download yet. Send me a PM once a release is available and I'll move it back.

Fair enough.

Also, GPuzzle, do you know how to give leader interactions unique dialog? Because not giving Stan unique lines would be a literal crime.

Also Also, any progress on that great person bubble background?

I can offer art if you need it. Especially if you can't find a good image for photo-manipulation, and need something created from scratch.

I'm on mobile right now, so I can't give you an example of my work, but once I get home, I'll give you a WIP for the leader art of my current mod so you can see if you want my help or not.

Well, I was just looking for a recreation of the sunburst background in this great person bubble for the great person replacement this civ has a UU.

Also, GPuzzle, do you know how to give leader interactions unique dialog? Because not giving Stan unique lines would be a literal crime.

That's something I can actually answer, if GPuzzle hasn't gotten back to you on yet. It's a simple XML file; this is the one I used on my most recent civ:

Spoiler :
Code:
<GameData>
	<Diplomacy_Responses>
		<Row LeaderType="LEADER_HAWKE">
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_FIRST_GREETING</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_FIRSTGREETING%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_DEFEATED</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_DEFEATED%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_GREETING_POLITE_HELLO</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_POLITE_HELLO%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_GREETING_NEUTRAL_HELLO</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_NEUTRAL_HELLO%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_GREETING_HOSTILE_HELLO</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_HOSTILE_HELLO%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_HOSTILE_AGGRESSIVE_MILITARY_WARNING</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_HOSTILE_AGGRESSIVE_MILITARY_WARNING%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_EXPANSION_SERIOUS_WARNING</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_EXPANSION_SERIOUS_WARNING%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_REQUEST</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_RESPONSE_REQUEST%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_LUXURY_TRADE</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_RESPONSE_LUXURY_TRADE%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_OPEN_BORDERS_EXCHANGE</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_OPEN_BORDERS_EXCHANGE%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_ATTACKED_BETRAYED</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_ATTACKED_BETRAYED</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_ATTACKED_EXCITED</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_ATTACKED_EXCITED</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_ATTACKED_HOSTILE</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_ATTACKED_HOSTILE</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_DECLAREWAR</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_DECLAREWAR%</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_TRADE_NEEDMORE_ANGRY</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_TRADE_NEEDMORE_ANGRY</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_TRADE_NEEDMORE_NEUTRAL</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_TRADE_NEEDMORE_NEUTRAL</Response>
		</Row>
			<ResponseType>RESPONSE_TRADE_NEEDMORE_HAPPY</ResponseType>
			<Response>TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_TRADE_NEEDMORE_HAPPY</Response>
		</Row>
	</Diplomacy_Responses>
	<Language_en_US>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_FIRSTGREETING_1">
			<Text>Greetings, I'm Hawke, the Champion of Kirkwall.  All the stories you've heard about me?  Completely true.  Well, the good ones at least.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_FIRSTGREETING_2">
			<Text>Welcome to Kirkwall!  Oh, the smell?  If I had to guess, I'd say it's just my uncle Gamlen.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_FIRSTGREETING_3">
			<Text>Welcome to Kirkwall!  Yes, I'm the one they call the 'Champion of Kirkwall'.  How did I get the name, you ask?  Well, talk to my friend Varric, he tells the story a lot better than I do.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_DEFEATED_1">
			<Text>Damn it.  I never thought this day would come.  I guess this won't just be another one of Varric's stories.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_GREETING_POLITE_HELLO_1">
			<Text>Oh good, you're here!  I was just about head over to the Hanged Man with Aveline and Merrill.  Why don't you join us?</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_GREETING_NEUTRAL_HELLO_1">
			<Text>Welcome back to Kirkwall.  Have you been to the Hanged Man yet?  No?  Probably for the best.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_GREETING_HOSTILE_HELLO_1">
			<Text>Oh, it's you.  Look, there's some paint drying on one of the buildings in Hightown, and I'd honestly rather spend my time watching that.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_HOSTILE_AGGRESSIVE_MILITARY_WARNING_1">
			<Text>Look, I don't want to fight.  Well, actually, I do, but I figured I'd be nice and give you a warning first.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_EXPANSION_SERIOUS_WARNING_1">
			<Text>Yes, I'm aware that Kirkwall is a great city, but it is our city.  Let's keep it that way.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_REQUEST">
			<Text>It's not my proudest moment; but I need to ask for some help.  Any chance you could lend a hand?</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_LUXURY_TRADE">
			<Text>Look, the nobles up in Hightown want some of your luxuries.  They've repeatly insisted that I propose this trade agreement, and for the sake of my sanity, I hope you agree.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_OPEN_BORDERS_EXCHANGE">
			<Text>How would you like to exchange open borders?  Think about it; free access to Kirkwall's creepy statues and smelly taverns!  Who could say no?</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_ATTACKED_BETRAYED">
			<Text>Of course; no day would ever be complete without being stabbed in the back at least once, would it?</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_ATTACKED_EXCITED">
			<Text>Oh, excellent! Target practice!.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_ATTACKED_HOSTILE">
			<Text>I wouldn't have done that if I were you.  Fighting me tends to be bad for your health.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_DECLAREWAR_1">
			<Text>Look, It's nothing personal...  Well, alright, maybe it is a little bit personal.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_TRADE_NEEDMORE_ANGRY">
			<Text>If that's a joke, it's not a very good one.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_TRADE_NEEDMORE_HAPPY">
			<Text>I know we're friends and all, but if I don't ask for more, I know Aveline will get get angry at me for giving you preferential treatment.  And I really don't want that; she gets scary when she's angry.</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_LEADER_HAWKE_TRADE_NEEDMORE_NEUTRAL">
			<Text>You should come down to the Hanged Man sometime.  Those tactics might actually might get Isabela to lose a couple rounds of Wicked Grace.</Text>
		</Row>
	</Language_en_US>
</GameData>

Just substitute where it says "HAWKE" with whatever you have defined as your own civ's leader. The rest should be fairly apparent what to do. There are other responses you can define, but Darksythe actually explains it pretty well here.

Well, I was just looking for a recreation of the sunburst background in this great person bubble for the great person replacement this civ has a UU.

That is something I can do, if GPuzzle isn't already working on. Is there an specific image you want to use for the foreground?

And as promised in my above post, here's an edit with my current WIP as a bit of an example of what I can do.
Spoiler :

And here are some icons I've done as well as a bit more of an example of my photo-manipulation abilities.
Spoiler :

Yeah, I wanted this guy in the foreground:

Spoiler :

So that his thumbs up is sticking out of the bubble a ways. Obviously cropped so he fits into the circle without any of the cut-off parts showing. Could use a little color correction too; the bluish tint is because the only good image of the guy is when he's on a TV set.

Also, I know Unique leader interaction can be done, I was more just seeing if he could do it since he's doing the coding for the rest. I'm not terribly interested in getting into the programming side of things.

Wow, this is really awesome! How far along are you?

Only just started putting this stuff together today. Had the idea...last night, I think? Either that or this morning as well. Well, for the Gravity Falls Civ, anyway.

IIRC it's a reference to Gargoyles. Sorry, I was out and my phone was out of battery.

The Great Person Bubble background will be done relatively soon (probably within a few days). The code is already started, though, and I do know how to give him unique dialog, it's actually pretty easy. At this point I think the only truly "original" thing I'll be doing is the code for the Con Artist, and maybe not even that, because I code Lua in a pastiche-esque way which is pretty much "use code from existing Civilizations as a base". But it works.

Yeah, I wanted this guy in the foreground:

Spoiler :

So that his thumbs up is sticking out of the bubble a ways. Obviously cropped so he fits into the circle without any of the cut-off parts showing. Could use a little color correction too; the bluish tint is because the only good image of the guy is when he's on a TV set.

How's this?

GPuzzle, I feel that the Con artist.... Could be stronger. Maybe double your culture output?

@David Xanatos - uh, I'll need a simple Civ Icon as well as an Alpha Icon for that Civ.

Also, I did a minor change to the Mystery Shack, now it has +2 Gold from Trade Routes for both parties when the Great Work is filled.

Good Man! I'm assuming by a 'simple' Civ icon, you mean one to appear next to the cities and such. The Wheel wouldn't translate very well at that size, I'll admit. I've already got an idea for that, should be done relatively quick. I've also started working on some of the additional details needed for the civ:

Additional Info for Gravity Falls Civ:

Spy Names: Soos, Wendy, Dipper, Mabel

City Names: Gravity Falls, Glass Shard Beach, Trembley's Cove, Stanopolis

Con Artist Names: Douglas Herrick, P.T. Barnum, Joseph B. Swan, Willie Hammerstein, Charles Ponzi,

All the above are still in the progress of being added to, so expect this post to be edited a good few times. Also, if either you or Doktor can figure a way to make it work, this would be a perfect map image for the game setup screen:

Spoiler :

The Alpha Icon is the one near cities. It's empty space, quite literally, that the game fills with the colors you specify (which is why that when you have two Swedens, for example, one might be blue and yellow and the other is with Venice's colors). The Civ I con is that one near the Civ when you go choose it.

Quite good! However, I think he could still stand a bit more color correction; he still looks kinda blue. If you can't manage that, though, it's still good enough to use.

How's this look?

Also, for the civ Icon, would just the pyramid from this work?

I gotta be honest: that looks worse. I don't entirely blame you for it, it's a very slight tint that I'm looking to overcome here. His shirt should be the same yellow as in the original image, but slightly more vibrant. Notice how all the colors in the original seem somewhat muted, almost cold? It almost looks like he's been trapped in a blizzard for too long. I'm gonna take a shot at it myself, if only partially to give you an idea of what I mean. We'll see.

Anyhow, here's the Alpha symbol:

In case it's not clear, the color of this should be the color of the text as well, the green seen in the normal symbol being used as the color for the bar. Same goes for unit icons, orange outline and icon, green circle, you get the idea.

I do have a question: would it be possible to give the con artist a unique unit icon? Or would it being a Great Person replacement complicate that. Also, I mentioned having the great works they produce be unique as well, within reason. Add a few new pictures to the pool exclusive to them or something. Is that at all feasible?

Top Bottom