Win 7 and XP (64 bit) civ 2 MGE and TOT issues (Fix inside!!)

First of all, thx for making this fix, mr. MM

To help some Civ2 ToT fans out there running win7 home premium 64bit:

-First patch to v1.1
-then get a nocd crack/patch done (not sure if ok to post link here, so just find one on your own)
-use the fix provided by the threadmaker

Run your civ2 ToT and have fun!

(for the interested only)
I had many problems getting this game to run. It started with crashing when i built a city. So i found this thread quite fast, but ran the fix first. It failed. Tried to patch the process after that.
So.. after some trails with compatibility it started to give me error on Civ2.ICD.
Figured i might not have the right version of the game, so i got the v1.1 version from this site. Implemented it, deleted my civ2.exe and failed to finish the process. Used the backup from the fix earlier and tried anyway. Got numerous civ2.ICD errors in different stages of the game after that.
Learned from another site that the ICD errors might be countered by a nocd workaround.
Got the nocd thing, tried implement, failed because of version??

Gave up for a long time there, uninstalled everything.
So today i remembered another old game i used to run on a vista machine earlier, where it was mandatory to implement the patches/cracks/fixes in a specific order or it would not work.

so i patched, nocd'd and fixed it in that order! Now i am a happy builder again :egypt: :woohoo:

Dear all,

I'm a Civ2 fanatic, play on hardest level with a strategic system that often wins the game; I would be happy to share this in return for IT help. I'm an IT novice.

My trouble is that I have upgraded to a Windows7 64Bit computer from a WindowsXP 32Bit computer. I have Civ2 in .exe file format on my old machine. Have tried to transfer the .exe onto the new machine and have tried to use the "patch" on this thread. But I am doing something wrong, it doesn't work. Thinking the problem might be with the .exe transfer between machines, In desperation I tried the torrent, which also doesn't work. Am baffled at what the problem is. I might simply be using the patch wrongly, or some other trivial mistake.

What I really need is a very clear step-by-step walk through of how to get this working, with detail down to which file to run and in what order.

You're going to have to be more specific than "it doesn't work" in order to get meaningful help. We need to know exactly what happened.

One thing that happens with me : sometimes the first time I start it after a power cycle, it will hang. I kill it in task manager,
then restart it, and it works.

Thanks, I really appreciate you replying to my query.

First I go to my file named Civ2XP64Patcher and open it. A window pops up with a field requesting I enter the Civilization 2 executable file with full path.

I enter what I think is the file path, and get the following message:

A patching location could not be found.

The most likely reason is that the version of Civ2.exe that you have is 16 bits. This patching utility is
not meant to make 16 bits version of Civ2 works on 64 bits OS. This patching utility fixes a bug in the
32 bits version that makes it crash on 64 bits OS.

If you think this is your situation, please, press Cancel.

Another possibility. If you didn't purchase a retail version of Civilization 2, but purchased it on the
web, the content of Civ2.exe file might be encrypted/compressed. Since I can't (or won't) try to
break every encryption/compression algorythm those site can use (for legal reasons, amongs
others), I've developed the following solution.

This utility can patch the Civ2.exe right in memory after it is launched. The problem is that this
needs to be done everytime you run the game.

To make this easier, this utility can create a shortcut on your desktop that will call itself, launch
civ2.exe and then patch the process right in memory.

Restrictions are the same as with any shortcut, the location of this utility and the civ2.exe can't
change.

If you want to create a shortcut on your desktop that will launch civ2 and attempt to patch it right in
memory, press Create Shortcut, otherwise, press Cancel.

I then chose the option of making the shortcut. When I click it, I get the message:

The program... cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

So I'm stumped. This .exe had been running fine on my old 32-bit Windows XP computer without any patch.

If your version is pre-MGE, it cannot be patched to work on a 64 bit system because it's 16 bits. This apprears to be the message the patch is giving you. So you can either upgrade to MGE in which case the patch will work, or you will need to learn how to create a virtual 32 bit XP machine on your new system. I think this is discussed this earlier in the thread.

@Serutin

1. How can I upgrade to MGE? Is there an online solution for that? Given I have an original copy of the game and can't now play I have tried a torrent which purported to be offering Civ2 MGE but rather than doing that it simply fed me some other kind of unwanted software.

2. I have 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. Are you certain that I can run virtual 32 bit Windows XP on it? Some forums have seemed to have suggested no.

@Titi

As mentioned I'm an IT dunce - so how/where may I check the right file path?

2. I have 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. Are you certain that I can run virtual 32 bit Windows XP on it?
Technically, yes, you can. However, the virtual machine can be downloaded from Microsoft only for Professional or better versions of Win 7.

so how/where may I check the right file path?
The easiest way would then be to:
- click on the "Start" button
- in the box (last line under the list of programs, where a magnifying glass shows) type "civ2.exe" (without the "")
- get the full path of the civ2.exe file (if you didn't change the default settings, it should start with "C:\MPS" if I remember correctly).

Good luck!

I get this when trying to load a scenario in MGE. A lot of the scenario stuff and MGE is really buggy in general to begin with, on Win 8.1 x64. Any ideas? None of the compatibility settings will work. :undecide:

Attachments

• absolute_bs3.jpg
    absolute_bs3.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 341
I'm not getting anywhere. Prolly my fault.

Who fancies joining me in asking the heirs of Microprose to host a Civ2 original version download site for 64 bit Win 7 & 8 ?

There must be over 2000 of us die-hards out here.

Just got a new Win 7 system and tried loading Civ2:MGE but it crashed. Then I found CFC and this forum and MastermindX's patch and everything things seems to be working.

Thanks MasterMindX

Hello.

I've been on this Forum quite a bit ever since I stumbled upon it.

I bought my first edition of CIV II waaay back in 1996 (haven't we all ;) ) and played on a WIN95 Platform (DELL Pentium 133 ! ) eventually upgraded to WIN98.
It was an original "British English" version I bought in England. Flawless.

Then I bought an HP Pentium 4, WinXP, and treated myself to a new edition sold in Italy called "Civ II - Conflicts in Civilization" which actually appears to be the very same 1996 edition plus a CD of extra scenarios.
Wonderful.

Then I bought an HP AMD64 x2 which ran Windows Vista32, upgraded to Windows7 32bit asap !!!
It still ran like a charm...

Last week I bought an HP i5quadcore running Win8.1-64 and guess what ? Even the 64bit printer drivers won't run!
So I have to buy a new printer because my old HP Laserjet 1010 is "obsolete" :mad:

Why am I telling you the story of my life ?
Because I need to find a way to run my old CIV II on this ... thing ... :( :badcomp:
(and no, I don't know how to create a virtual machine... the most I can do is pay the neighbor's pimply son :scan: to create a Win7-32bit partition on the PC and set it up in dual-boot mode...)

Any hope ? :please:

Greetings All:

I am a hardened Civilization 2 player who will always try to preserve this classic game.

I have noticed that despite patching the game so as to be compatible with 64 bit Windows, editing Cities.gif results in a:

"Stack trace not yet available in Win32" error.

I'm guessing this has something to do with modern GFX programs like Paint rendering the files in a different format after saving edits?

Any advice welcome and appreciated. Not being able to edit Civ2 significantly hampers the gameplay.

Top Bottom