End of Empires - N3S III

Any ETA on new stats NK?

As I really need to return to a semi-normal sleep schedule (staying up until 3 is not conducive to functionality), they will not come tonight; I am going to bed quite soon. Stats tomorrow.

I've made some edits to an old story. Since Masada and myself probably can gain large amounts of story bonii fairly easily, perhaps we should be limited to four story bonii or something?

OOC: I agree that we should limit #s of stories. Otherwise, there will be lots of low quality stories and it would be harder for North King to include all the stories in a story hall of fame.

Works with me. The only real culture the area could be considered to have is that of Ferman, which, as near as I can tell, is pretty undefined (no offense to Justo, I just don't see much there that stands out). I'll repost his template below:

Spoiler :
Ferman
Starting Location:
Society: The Ferman people generally form around single leaders. Often offering complete loyalty to this person. This person is generally chosen Hereditary and the ruler is given the title of Emperor.
Lineage: Hereditary
Values: Power, Loyalty, Friendship
Religion(s): Multiple Gods generally of nature (The Sea, trees, stars etc). The main Gods are the Gods of the Stars and the moon.
Language(s): [Add a description of your people’s language, including, if applicable, their writing system]
Mythos: The Ferman people are believed to have come from the stars. The brightest star Zet is believed to have been the creator of all life and Ferman people. The Ferman people originated in the nearby woods and gradually moved to their current position near the coast as they grew more reliant on fishing for sustainance.
Economic Base: Heavy reliance on fishing and hunting for food, Limited farming and animal husbandry at this time, weak shipbuilding ability, weak mining extraction, weak timber extraction
Nation Names: Furmon, Hurag, Milett, Peren
Person Names: Uron, Raek, Poild, Fedsan
Place Names: Kern Ocean, Hilbera Forest

Beyond that, his nation went through a period of herding, and is now heavily reliant on farming, as well as the world's main source of wine.

Also, since the next turn appears to be long, by consensus, there will be a lot of collapsing and rising nations, so a new people won't be difficult to explain.

No offense taken I have kept my nation vague and simple so that it can slowly develop into something different over time. I also see my people to be relatively barbaric/uncivilized compared to some of the countries in this nes. :)

I also vote for 1 more long update like many others want so we can get into the Iron Age quickly.

Also Great Updates so far keep it up. :goodjob:

I dont think we should limit the amount of stories, its up to NK to decide what he wants to put in the update, if the quality fall its up to his discretion to see if he wants to use it. As for bonii its up to NK to use his discretion to decide, nobody can compell him one way or another.

Besides it appears copious amounts of stories help only insofar as the Satarai invading you :rolleyes:

I vote for a slightly shorter update this time, but 50 years seems abit short to me.

I didn't propose limiting the stories, but the bonus that could be given.

I vote for copious amounts of appropriate bonuses per story, without limit. It's a big, juicy[1], carrot to actually make people invest stories into this NES, and it's working just fine.

[1] Yeah, carrots don't tend to be juicy.

The Game of Grang
Although it's origins would be lost to history, Grang actually began with two noblemen trying to pass the time on campaign. It began as a game of moving dots around a game board to try and encircle each other's, but soon got more complicated, with the introduction of the Chariot unit (which could move two squares), then the Archer unit (which could count for encirclements from a square away).

Grang became popular amongst the nobleman's circle of friends, and slowly spread outward from the lack of competition. It's rules at this stage were simple if tactically complicated- there were three unit types- Infantry, Archer, and Cavalry. An Infantry could move one square in any direction (including diagonal), as could an Archer, and a Cavalry could move two. The board would have five Infantry, two Archers, and two Cavalry. Normally you had to encircle a piece to remove it from the board (the objective was to remove the enemy army), but an Archer counted even if it was a square away.

This changed with the Grang Reform Movement, which was lucky enough to have royal patronage. Starting with the speculation of an heir to the throne that there were usually roughly equal infantry and archers in an army, it turned into a movement to make Grang realistic.

The new rules were complicated, but impressive for realism. Morale was factored in, and the leadership of commanders. A dice was introduced for random factors, and strength ratings were given to units. There was a major emphasis upon outflankment to reduce strength and morale to destroy the enemy within the game rules.

The old Grang survived in the north and south, as merchants spread it to Jania and Serat. It would undergo aesthetic mutations but the rules would remain the same. It's fate would be to survive for centuries to come...

Meanwhile, the game of Grang evolved into more of a scenario-based eneterprise. It's rules were simplified, and the host (an experienced soldier, usually of high rank) would determine the outcomes based on a one-minute private chat with each player. As a pasttime for officers, it continued to thrive for the time being...

It is to be expected that the Game of Grang will of course help The Empire of Sesh to conquer the world... ;)

Sesh, will I get a response to my diplomacy? (not long after update)

Also, there should be no limit to bonus given from stories. Just because they may right a lot now, doesn't mean they will have endless inspiration. Let their stories drive forth more from those who want to compete!

To: Palmyra

We want to express our hostile attitude against your nation by sending you an insult regarding the ugly shape of your ship hulls. However, if you are to send us a gift after your dreadful actions against our mighty king Geopopultopu IV, we would perhaps look somehow different on your unstable nation. The gift to show your friendly attitude against us would be five horses and a princess my heir can marry. Summarized, we proposed a marriage between your king's daughter and a small display of friendship towards us in the form of this gift. If such thing is happening, we will forget your actions against us in the past.

Repeating this. Sioux`?

Army research teams? Oh good lord, I feel so stupid! I'll stop pretending to be on-era and start building research teams for weaponry.

many of the relevant technologies you need for that are meadivel in nature, we're barely out of the classical era, The Gladius was only really an excellant sword due to the nature in which the romans fought, and against the gauls especially. (it is classical however).

Longbows of course require specific types of wood, ask NK, and again require a large investment in training (which might not combine well with a roman style effort). Composite bows are from what I've noticed usefull for steppe people, and not many other peoples. (aka mounted horsemen). and are much more complex to make.

It all depends on how you think you'll fight, and if you have the materials for them. In this age, I beleive it was mostly circumstances that created the weapon and not any thought to inventing a new or better weapon.

But it is nice to know how you think you will want to operate :p

The Romans are at the end of the classical period while we are at the dawn of the Iron Age.1000 year difference?

Top Bottom