How to disable culture flip?

I don't understand this thread. Is the OP saying that culture flipping is more broken in CiV than cIV? Because I've played more civ4 than civ5, and man, I flipped a whole hell of a lot more cities in civ4. In fact, city flipping is basically nonexistent in civ5. The only time I even notice it is when I have to switch ideologies or face losing one of MY cities. It's basically nonexistent in civ5, I've never had a city flip to me, not once, in 1500 hours of play. Maybe that's because I started on King. In civ4, however, cities flipped every friggin game.

Ehm, King or Emperor, dont remember, the point being victory stepstones shouldnt be given unless actively pursued, even with a zillion lightyears score lead(which it wasnt). Pretty sure the flip happened because they adopted a different ideology, this shouldnt be a sufficient requirement. Especially considering Tourism is like a side late-game mechanic. Its even worse than those UN victories. And especially considering how many stupid Prophets it takes to get a religious foothold there and then a.. museum gets the whole city??, gimme a break here. :D

The museum alone was not the cause of the flip. It was the icing on the cake.

And if the AI takes a different ideology yours, and your ideology is dominant, the other AI can go into severe unhappiness.

We can agree to disagree. I work towards getting mega-culture and tourism and hope that cities flip to me. I try to make the AI get as much unhappiness as I can.

And in the years since BNW came out, I've only had maybe (at most) a half-dozen cities flip to me in all those games.

What do you mean about the stupid prophets needing a foothold in the UN? Do you mean about passing your religion as a world religion? If so, I've never needed a bunch of great prophets to spread my religion. My religiion spreads because of my trade routes, the religious tenents I have chosen, etc.

And since I usually build the Forbidden Palace and allie myself to as many city states as possible, I usually have enough voting power to push all my proposals through the UN.

I don't understand this thread. Is the OP saying that culture flipping is more broken in CiV than cIV? Because I've played more civ4 than civ5, and man, I flipped a whole hell of a lot more cities in civ4. In fact, city flipping is basically nonexistent in civ5. The only time I even notice it is when I have to switch ideologies or face losing one of MY cities. It's basically nonexistent in civ5, I've never had a city flip to me, not once, in 1500 hours of play. Maybe that's because I started on King. In civ4, however, cities flipped every friggin game.
city flipping in civ4 is a non-issue regardless of whether or not its more or less difficult, and im pretty sure its more difficult, it its pretty much impossible to flip bigger older cities due to the way culture is accumulated and the fact that the AI can counteract pressure. Because culture flipping can be disabled in options in Civ4.

What do you mean about the stupid prophets needing a foothold in the UN? Do you mean about passing your religion as a world religion? If so, I've never needed a bunch of great prophets to spread my religion. My religiion spreads because of my trade routes, the religious tenents I have chosen, etc.
maybe its situational but in my games the AI is hellbent on getting their own prophets and replacing my religion with their own and i think state religion cant be replaced without units and without civs getting angry. At least i never saw that happen.

^^Yeah--the AI likes to spam Great Prophets and missionaries. It is very annoying.

That's why I keep inquisitors in my cities (or use a couple of them to move back and forth to different cities if a great prophet is coming my way.

So long as you have an inquisitor parked in your city, a missionary or great prophet can't convert it.

Just as an FYI: when you move up to immortal (and especially deity), this almost never happens. The AI receives high happiness bonuses and it becomes very rare that they are so unhappy that a city flips. They also grab the early culture wonders, so getting mid-game influence on them is pretty hard to do.

I've had cities flipped on deity, requires almost always world ideology, and being in multiple wars so no other civs will trade lux. In addition to huge tourism. All it takes is a few turns of -20 happiness. You can milk it also by gifting him your razing cities to drive it up further before you DoW. War is so much easier when your opponent fights at -20 happiness, their units just melt.

that's every way with late game monty in my experience

but yeah, in all of my immortal games so far i've never seen this happen, so moving up in difficulty should remove the problem for you as the bonuses the AI gets/the boosted early game makes it very hard to produce that much cultural pressure or drive them that far into unhappiness

I didn't even now this could happen in civ 5, I knew tiles couldn't flip (unless you use a GG) so assumed cities couldn't. I assume it mainly happens when ideologies are introduced?

Top Bottom