Annexing slows acquisition of great people points??

Indrasnet

Chieftain
I've spent about hour and a half searching the net for clarification on this.

Playing latest version of civ v1.0.1.332 - new to the game - the game gives me message about annexing a city that:

"...it will increase your unhappiness and slow your acquisition of social policies and great people. You will not be able to reverse this."

I understand the extra happiness hit you take for annexing a city

I understand the social policy hit is the 15% extra culture points needed for the next social policy that comes with every extra city you conquer - (is that right - is that what its referring to???)

BUT I don't understand where the "slowing the acquisition of great people" comes from - what game mechanic is this message referring to - how does city acquisition affect the accumulation of great people points???

Much appreciate any help - thanks.

Yes, this is... weird.

To the best of my knowledge this information is false, incorrect, bugged. There is no slowing down of great people acquisition through the annexation of cities. Just another massive, blatant in-your-face bug.

If anyone can indeed verify GP acquisition gets slowed, I too would be interested to hear.

By the way, this has nothing to do with the patch - there has always been this supposed 'slowdown' all the way from v 1.0.

Ah okay - I'm surprised I wasn't able to find anything conclusive about this anywhere else

So just to check i have this right, the total effects of annexing are -

- increased unhappiness
- slows acquisition of social policies because of the 15% social policy cost with each new city you control

Please confirm.

Thanks Strategist83 and ColinTH for your help.

Confirmed :)

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, the only thing that advances GP costs is "building" a GP. Each one costs more than the last, empire wide.

I thought that GP production was slowed by having more cities, just like culture acquisition? I swear it was like this in an earlier build of the game, at the least

Taking cities (not specifically annexing them) also increases points needed toward golden age.

Actually, I would be happy if large empires took a modest hit to culture, golden ages and great people (rather than the single huge culture hit that they used to get).

Taking cities (not specifically annexing them) also increases points needed toward golden age.

I forgot about the golden age counter! I guess that's because I usually see one happiness induced golden age per game, as I play at high difficulty levels and don't see much spare happiness.

Good catch.

I think it means if a puppeted city gets a great person (usually great merchant) it doesn't increase the cost towards the next great person for your controlled cities, but if you annex it obviously does.
Never tested though

Wow, I found this ancient thread again through a Google search. The original question raised by the OP is still relevant: BNW is out now, and the tooltip STILL mentions slowing down great people when annexing. Does the fact this is still in the game mean great people actually do get slowed somehow, or is it a bug that simply keeps being overlooked with every patch and expansion?

I don't remember seeing this in G&K though. Gonna have to turn my tips back on and find it. Or can't someone look at the coding and see? I have no idea how to do that.

Top Bottom