They should add a Pirate civ

Does this sound like a good Idea

• Total voters
Ahoy there matie!

I surprised myself and voted 'Yes'.

After looking at the options for a second, and on the verge of instinctively clicking 'No', I stopped and thought about it. I mean, we have had Privateers as a naval unit since G&K, and Civ 4 Colonization did a good job of allowing Privateers to attack without needing a DoW (though much of the rest of Civ 4 Colonization was not-so-good). And we also now have BNW's trade-route system.

So, it seems quite interesting to think of a pirate civ that:

Has a UA allowing it to get double-gold for plundering trade-routes

Has a UU that replaces the privateer and replaces the coastal-raiding free-promo with a boarding promo, gives the unit a promo to heal 50% HP on beating a unit in combat, as well as giving the unit the special ability to plunder trade-routes without declaring war

Has a UU that replaces the musketman with a melee unit called a 'Swashbuckler', which starts with amphibious and embarkation with defense, as well as giving bonus combat strength to the other UU (from the paragraph above) when stacked with it in any water tile.

I mean, this sort of a civ would be plausible. And, because of BNW's focus on trade, I don't see why not, especially since we already have a far more complicated civ -- Venice -- than this sort of one would be. It would be a fun civ, and the city names could come from any CSes that aren't in the game, a la the Hunnic Empire's city-names coming from civs not in the game.

I surprised myself and voted 'Yes'.

After looking at the options for a second, and on the verge of instinctively clicking 'No', I stopped and thought about it. I mean, we have had Privateers as a naval unit since G&K, and Civ 4 Colonization did a good job of allowing Privateers to attack without needing a DoW (though much of the rest of Civ 4 Colonization was not-so-good). And we also now have BNW's trade-route system.

So, it seems quite interesting to think of a pirate civ that:

Has a UA allowing it to get double-gold for plundering trade-routes

Has a UU that replaces the privateer and replaces the coastal-raiding free-promo with a boarding promo, gives the unit a promo to heal 50% HP on beating a unit in combat, as well as giving the unit the special ability to plunder trade-routes without declaring war

Has a UU that replaces the musketman with a melee unit called a 'Swashbuckler', which starts with amphibious and embarkation with defense, as well as giving bonus combat strength to the other UU (from the paragraph above) when stacked with it in any water tile.

I mean, this sort of a civ would be plausible. And, because of BNW's focus on trade, I don't see why not, especially since we already have a far more complicated civ -- Venice -- than this sort of one would be. It would be a fun civ, and the city names could come from any CSes that aren't in the game, a la the Hunnic Empire's city-names coming from civs not in the game.

Although I don't want this in the game, I could live with it if it was based on a real Civ. I am not sure what historical Civ would fit the bill though, those that engaged in the most piracy (afaicr) are already in the game.

Certainly I would say there is no hope of getting any fantasy Civs in, and personally I hope there never will be, but perhaps an official or unofficial MOD would do it.

I agree. Kinda hoping the poster was being sarcastic as their suggestions could be replaced with UA : "I WIN " Button appears after meeting all Civs.

Don't worry, it was sarcasm. ^_^ Intentional over the topness with how much I disagree with a "Pirate Civ". It's just, a good amount of pirates were doing pirating for their nation. They would technically "renounce" their allegiances, then go sack someone other kingdom's ships and claim "It twas not moi! Je ne parle pas un mot de francais!"

Top Bottom