Best new Civ to play as?

Phoenix_Reaper

Chieftain
After a long hiatus I've come back to an even better game.

Venic is my personal favorite now. Trade seems to keep people off of me while I sit back and build 30+ pop cities and going into Freedom .... mmmm.

I'm quite into the inca and korea, but I'm partial to those civs, and they aren't new to BNW. In BNW, Morocco and Assyria are probably my new favorites.

Poland. Poland kicks ass. I've gotten so many social policies it's unreal (4 full branches worth, plus 8 tenets, on emperor) and I'm not even in information age yet.

I've had the most fun with Poland and Polynesia.

Poland burns through policies really quickly - since the free policies are, well, free policies, they don't slow down your culture game at all, so pushing quickly to Rationalism means you've got an easy run to out-tech everyone. I had a culture victory by turn 300 - getting hotels literally just pushed my culture game up by like 10 turns, since I already had snatched up a lot of cultural buildings (and aesthetics).

Polynesia looks a little wonky but can be surprisingly brutal - establishing even one spice island early in (and there will usually be at least one settleable island on anything but Pangaea) gives you a good source of early gold, and once you get to Kris swordsmen, find someone you don't expect to conquer any time soon, trade for a few iron, and conquer your neighbors. Those promotions carry forward and they can be amazing (units that act like Great Generals, units that heal like Immortals - it's all possible). They're a surprisingly fun blend of peaceful trader and frightening conqueror and I had a ton of fun playing them.

Brazil, build chitchen itza and use your great artist's ability and you have a never ending carnival

as for straight up "best" not "favorite" I have to go with Poland too. The UA is really, really strong and flexible. Whatever you want to do, you do better with Poland. Played my first immortal game with them and it went much easier than my emperor games with other civs.

@Thuellai I think you mean Indonesia :)

as for straight up "best" not "favorite" I have to go with Poland too. The UA is really, really strong and flexible. Whatever you want to do, you do better with Poland. Played my first immortal game with them and it went much easier than my emperor games with other civs.

@Thuellai I think you mean Indonesia :)

So I do.

My mistake. Polynesia is fun, but they're not new.

Still, Indonesia IS pretty cool, even if they seem a little random at first (and they do need you to grab some decent islands early in, which can be tough with certain starts)

Spain - Oh 500 gold? build second city as soon as in the first 10 turns? yes please.

So I do.

My mistake. Polynesia is fun, but they're not new.

Still, Indonesia IS pretty cool, even if they seem a little random at first (and they do need you to grab some decent islands early in, which can be tough with certain starts)

I started using Small Continents maps for Indonesia, but during that time I found out I really love Small Continents in general and it's now my default map

I find most of my starts have enough land to foster a just as competitive land military as continents maps, but enough water to encourage conquering the high seas.

Looking forward to trying a civ like the Ottomans on it where I can make use of a large navy, but also put those Sipahis and Janissarys to good use!

Honestly though, I don't know how some people can point to Indonesia as weak because they are map specific, yet England almost gets no hate at all. It's not like there is a standard map - we have all these options for a reason

Spain - Oh 500 gold? build second city as soon as in the first 10 turns? yes please.

This reminds me. I random Spain the other day and i found El Dorado...first. Lets just say the game was over before it started:)

So far i only randomed Poland (thrice!), Zulu, Brazil, Venice (twice).

Poland has to be up there as one of the most flexible civs though i always cant resist dipping into Aesthetics and going culture.

Venice is radically different and that makes it fun for me though by the time i decide to plunge my first MoV, i was behind in tech by a long mile.

I started using Small Continents maps for Indonesia, but during that time I found out I really love Small Continents in general and it's now my default map

I find most of my starts have enough land to foster a just as competitive land military as continents maps, but enough water to encourage conquering the high seas.

Looking forward to trying a civ like the Ottomans on it where I can make use of a large navy, but also put those Sipahis and Janissarys to good use!

Agreed, Small Continents is a favorite of mine. It allows a lot of different civs to shine and encourages more involved domination strategies than just 'rush physics, trebuchets'. It also expands the naval game which I found to be an unexpected strength - the seas are big enough, and ships fast enough, that battles can get pretty crazy even with 1UPT.

Agreed, Small Continents is a favorite of mine. It allows a lot of different civs to shine and encourages more involved domination strategies than just 'rush physics, trebuchets'. It also expands the naval game which I found to be an unexpected strength - the seas are big enough, and ships fast enough, that battles can get pretty crazy even with 1UPT.

Well, the navy battles are certainly crazier than vanilla but they are still not nearly challenging enough compared to land maps. I wish they were because that would shoot replay value through the roof for me personally

Morocco is still my favorite so far. Nice balance of gpt, culture, kick ass Berber calvary in the desert owns.

Venice is just stupidly OP and I didn't even break a sweat on my Immortal victory. Once that gold rolls in and you can buy CS allied influence then diplomatic victory is plain easy and I only puppeted 4 CS. I will try it again someday on deity and try a non diplomatic victory and something wierd like heavy piety and only 1-2 cities.

New France is pretty damn fun too. Didn't quite make my 3 city cultural victory but if I go back to one of my saves in the middle then pretty sure I can do it or switch over to diplomatic victory. Chateaus are pretty slick, get gold + culture + defense bonus and they look cool :)

I enjoyed Brazil also. Almost an endless chain of golden ages.

Poland is pretty awesome. However I got mixed up in an endless war with too many civs and it really hurt my trade routes and gold so I need to go back to an early save and not take out Isabella which triggered the whole problem.

Going to try Portugal soon.

Poland, Brazil, and Venice. Thing to note about Brazil though, is that they have a Jungle start bias. Though this later gives them a lot of power later on (you ever hear of a jungle tile that produces 2 :c5food:, 3 :c5gold:, 3 :c5science: and 3 :c5culture:?) I've found that it can also make for a very frustrating early game because of the slow movement and low :c5production:.

The weakest of the new civs, I've found, is actually Assyria. Their abilities sound great, and in G&K they'd probably be top tier, but they are focused on warfare, and every early game aggressive civ is basically impotent right now because of the severe, severe, economic, diplomatic and scientific penalties for conquest in BNW, on top of your unhappiness penalty.

The variety of the answers in this thread is a message in itself, and I think a good statement as to the quality of the expansion. In other words, the answer of the community is "all of them", and I think it's true.

Personally, my first win was with the Shoshone, and it was a blast.

The variety of the answers in this thread is a message in itself, and I think a good statement as to the quality of the expansion. In other words, the answer of the community is "all of them", and I think it's true.

So true. One great strength of Civ5 is their variety of civs and how strong they all are. I know we complain about a few civs here and there but overall they accomplished a remarkable amount of balance given the laundry list of variables that could have pushed things out of the way

For properly new civ Poland is the strongest, Venice the most fun, but I've also been really surprised by how much stronger Polynesia has got; not only for the late game tourism, but also for the policy production mid game now culture has been scaled down (but not for moai) and wide is not so terrible for culture any more.

Right now, I played 3 full games as some of the new civs (Portugal, Brazil and Poland), and aroung 50-100 turns with the others. I've got to say, Poland's crazy. Loco crazy. Such a nice civilization! Solidarity is very flexible. The Ducal Stable is better than it sounds. What I like the most, though, might be the Winged Hussars. Duuuuude that's a crazy unit! Poland made me revalue the importance of Mounted units in general. Because I had Ducal Stables, I wanted to build Horsemen, and they started with Shock/Drill I with a Barrack. Then, you've got those enemy killers... very good. +1 movement, +3 strenght, shock I and heavy charge turns the poor lancer into a fast and powerful killing machine. After playing Poland, I'm all mounty now :)

Right now, I played 3 full games as some of the new civs (Portugal, Brazil and Poland), and aroung 50-100 turns with the others. I've got to say, Poland's crazy. Loco crazy. Such a nice civilization! Solidarity is very flexible. The Ducal Stable is better than it sounds. What I like the most, though, might be the Winged Hussars. Duuuuude that's a crazy unit! Poland made me revalue the importance of Mounted units in general. Because I had Ducal Stables, I wanted to build Horsemen, and they started with Shock/Drill I with a Barrack. Then, you've got those enemy killers... very good. +1 movement, +3 strenght, shock I and heavy charge turns the poor lancer into a fast and powerful killing machine. After playing Poland, I'm all mounty now :)

virado crazy, eh rapaz? :)

You are tempting me for my next game... I wasn't planning to try it before other civs, but hmmm...

Top Bottom