Question about Steam

MrHan

Chieftain
I'm a nubby with steam, and I have some questions that I'm having trouble getting answered.

The last time I used steam (which is many years ago), it was buggy and took up a lot of my computer resources. It consistently put up pop-ups for ads and updates when I booted up my computer, which annoyed the hell out of me. I've heard this has changed in the last few years, and even if it hasn't, I'm willing to put up with this for the sake of Civ 5.

But what I am concerned with is the effects Steam may have on modding. I would like those of you familiar with Steam (regular users of steam) to clarify on the following:

1. Will I still be able to tweak .xml, .dat files and the likes of the game to my own liking?
2. Will Steam affect modding? To what extent? Will the effects be negative?
3. With regards to customizing my game (editing files, choosing to play without certain updates, etc.), how much will Steam limit my freedom?

Well, according to a number of the articles and press releases, Civ V is supposed to be the "most moddable civ yet", so I would say mod to your hearts content regardless of the medium used.

Also, don't assume V will be moddable in the same way IV was, you might not need to edit xml and dat files for example.

.. that makes me feel a bit better.

But i'd still like to edit the data files in vanilla to tweak the game to my liking without installing mods and such.

Does steam go bichnuts when you edit a game's data files? =ㅅ=

1. Will I still be able to tweak .xml, .dat files and the likes of the game to my own liking?
Yes. You could delete several game files or folders and steam won't notice or check. If you change texture files, the game will start up with weird textures and steam won't know. If you delete the essential game folders steam will simply say "this game is unavailable at this time", and will continue to until you tell steam to re-download the game.
2. Will Steam affect modding? To what extent? Will the effects be negative?
It won't.
3. With regards to customizing my game (editing files, choosing to play without certain updates, etc.), how much will Steam limit my freedom?
You can edit files with any freedom. but steam will by default update your games automatically. You can change this, but many steamworks games require updates to play (or at least to connect online). Online games that are worried about mods allowing people to cheat use third party applications to prevent cheating, not steam.

A few other things:
Steam automatically starts up when your computer starts. You can turn this off easily. Steam still gives popups, always about new game releases and game deals.
Game devs and steam users don't understand why any gamer wouldn't want to use steam. I work in the game industry and don't know a single person who uses steam and doesn't like it.
The biggest complaint is that valve owning steam is a conflict of interest because they also make games.
You can run steam games offline but you have to set it up first, which is easy and done through steam, but not entirely obvious.

The first problem is not a STEAM issue, it was likely a virus/spyware issue. Updates for STEAM now automaticly D/L when connected to the net, and will prompt you only when they are ready for install.

1. Yes. The file structure of a STEAM game is identical to retail.
2. I do not know. The only positive i know for sure with steam: When you corrupt or ruin a file, you can simply delete it and ask STEAM to check for missing files and get it back. It takes a few minutes, but can be easier than backing it up manually.
3. Not at all as long as you disable automatic updates. Even then, its as simple as backing up files like normal.

cool. Thanks for the answers, guys :D
I don't really see now why steam would cause such big problems that people are complaining about. i'm not gonna hesitate in getting civ 5 cuz of steam.

what does annoy me though is the special edition bullcrap, but i guess that's irrelevant here.

The way you are supposed to "change how Civ works" in civ 4 was via the "customassets" folder. Anything in there would be used instead of the civ4 "assets" folder, without deleting or changing the original files.

With the start of a non-horrible security model appearing in Win7, odds are even CustomAssets folder will be moved to your Program Settings (ie, user-space).

I have a question about Steam.

Suppose I bought civ5 using steam via digital distribution (i.e. not by a disc from the store). In the process of downloading the game, how does Steam handle unreliable internet connections? What I mean is, if my internet connection drops out half way through the download, is Steam capable of using the partially downloaded data and continuing the download from there?

Also, is there a minimum bandwidth under which Steam will stop the download? Suppose for example my connection drops to less than 1KB per second. Would Steam decide to halt the download in circumstances like that? Does it take a particular number of transmission errors before it cancels a download?

I ask because on my current internet connection I've many times had trouble even uploading a 10MB file to civfanatics. I have concerns that a download of probably more than 2GB will be problematic.

Finally, how good a service in general does Steam give to non-US customers? Will everyone outside the US basically get shafted in the first week while everyone tries to download the game from their servers? Does Steam have physical servers outside the US?

Suppose I bought civ5 using steam via digital distribution (i.e. not by a disc from the store). In the process of downloading the game, how does Steam handle unreliable internet connections? What I mean is, if my internet connection drops out half way through the download, is Steam capable of using the partially downloaded data and continuing the download from there?

Yes. You'd be well advised to tell it to "verify file integrity" at the end of the download though just in case a file got corrupted.

Also, is there a minimum bandwidth under which Steam will stop the download? Suppose for example my connection drops to less than 1KB per second. Would Steam decide to halt the download in circumstances like that? Does it take a particular number of transmission errors before it cancels a download?
Unknown.

I ask because on my current internet connection I've many times had trouble even uploading a 10MB file to civfanatics. I have concerns that a download of probably more than 2GB will be problematics.
ISPs are often much worse about upload than download.

It might be worth checking your ISPs policy to see if they count bandwidth used after midnight against any kind of cap you have. Some don't. Leaving my computer on overnight is how I usually do big downloads.

Also, remember that many modern games are now into the double figures of gigabytes.

Finally, how good a service in general does Steam give to non-US customers? Will everyone outside the US basically get shafted in the first week while everyone tries to download the game from their servers? Does Steam have physical servers outside the US?

Australia: Good prices.
UK: Acceptable prices.
Europe: Bad prices.

There are regional servers numbering in the hundreds. There used to be little messages attached to the update window saying "This content provided to you by Valve, Europe #287". Yes, servers get hammered around the time of big releases. To try and spread the load Steam often offers a pre-loading of an encrypted version of the game that gets unencrypted at release.

:lol: a double figures GB game at 1KB/s might take about 4 months. I like those odds!

Seriously though, is it likely that Civ5 will be 10GB+? That sounds bigger than some modern FPS games.

Thanks for the other answers.

One more one, in case you can answer it. (EDIT d'oh, it's a few more than one)

Would Steam refund you if you are unable to download a game? If I buy the game over the net and fail to be able to download it, is there any way I can be compensated?

Supposing I had trouble downloading the game. Can I put the steam client on a friend's computer, download the game using their computer and then install it on mine? Or does the game just install itself on the computer that downloads it?

Alternatively, if I know someone nearby who has civ5 already, is there a way I can copy the game from them and activate it on my computer using my own activation key?

Modern FPS games are looking to go over 20GB shortly. Modern RTSs have hit 12GB already.

Hmmmm! What you could do is download the game on a friends computer, use the "Create Backup" facility to burn installation files to a DVD or storage medium of your choice. You then take these to your own computer and can install on Steam from there. Because Steam doesn't have download or installation limits, only a limitation on how many Online versions of the game can be active at once, there shouldn't be any problems doing this. I think the worst that could happen is that 2K release a 500mb Day 1 patch and you don't manage to turn the auto-update off before Steam begins downloading it. Otherwise, signing into Steam and authenticating the installation uses a trivial amount of bandwidth and would let you quickly go into Offline mode.

However, this will involve signing into your Steam account on your friend's PC. Make sure not to save your credit card information there etc.

Edit: I don't know if the backups created are tied to a particular Steam account. They're certainly not tied to one computer. Anyone know?

The biggest complaint is that valve owning steam is a conflict of interest because they also make games.

Yet there has been no evidence to support this fear. Valve is willing to promote other big game releases just as hard as their own games on Steam. Most of the tools they use for their own games are made available FREE to other developers through Steamworks. That means free tools for achievements, online matchmaking, and cloud storage of save games.

Also, for indie developers, being on Steam is the best thing that could happen for them, since it shows millions of potential customers that their game exists. Also, publishing directly through Steam means they don't have to share profits with a Publisher.

I ask because on my current internet connection I've many times had trouble even uploading a 10MB file to civfanatics. I have concerns that a download of probably more than 2GB will be problematic.

Don't be worried. If the download is paused or stopped, it just continues where it left off later. Sometimes if you stop a download and restart Steam, it looks like it says it's back to 1% Complete, but really that means 1% of the remainder.

For example:

You download 5GB of a 10GB game through Steam, then your house's power dies for 5 minutes. You restart your PC, start Steam, and pick Resume Download. It says 1% Complete, and you think it's starting all over, but really it means 1% of the left over 5GB.

Steam regularly downloads at 800kb/s to 1200kb/s for me, it's only slower on the release day of a major game. Steam has many servers outside of the US and adds more as it grows (For a list of Steam Content Servers: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/). I live in Canada, and every one of my friends that plays games on the PC uses Steam without problems. Buying games from Steam is cheaper than stores for Canadians because it charges us in USD and the dollar is 1:1 while retail stores try to charge $10 more for a Steam game. Also, Steam doesn't charge Canadians tax yet (I wonder how long before the government catches on).

I have never used steam, so, one maybe silly question.

can you pay by Paypal/Alertpay?

Yes, Steam accepts PayPal, Mastercard, Visa, and I think American Express.

Still unsure about the refund issue. Am I right in guessing that when you purchase a game through Steam you sign away any right to get a refund should you not be able to download the game?

Also, the answer to this question might be obvious but can you view the full EULA for a game before you purchase it through Steam? If I per-ordered Civ5 tomorrow but later found something in the EULA I didn't agree to (assuming I couldn't yet see the EULA for civ5), could I be refunded, especially before the game gets released?

HamTard said:
You download 5GB of a 10GB game through Steam, then your house's power dies for 5 minutes. You restart your PC, start Steam, and pick Resume Download. It says 1% Complete, and you think it's starting all over, but really it means 1% of the left over 5GB.
One would think Steam would look into that. That's probably happened to me before and I probably got annoyed by it (but lived with it). Surely it wouldn't be difficult to make it show the overall progress instead and it would make people less likely to get upset at Steam.

Still unsure about the refund issue. Am I right in guessing that when you purchase a game through Steam you sign away any right to get a refund should you not be able to download the game?

Also, the answer to this question might be obvious but can you view the full EULA for a game before you purchase it through Steam?

You can refund pre-orders before a game is released. After release, you probably can't refund. Why wouldn't you be able to download the game? If you're worried about firewalls or something, install Steam now, and download a game demo and see if it works. The only time I've ever had an issue downloading a game is on launch day, but that's probably because of the huge stress of everyone trying to download it at the same time.

I don't know, I don't think I've ever read a EULA in my life.

I don't think you can buy a game you can't download, unless you move from a region where Steam is allowed to distribute that game to one where it is not.

I think the refund policy is they don't do them unless its a pre-order you've cancelled before release.

About the full EULA, I don't remember. I suspect I've only seen it before installation, not purchase. Are they obligated to publish EULAs on publishers website for the game or anything? In the manual?

Seriously though, is it likely that Civ5 will be 10GB+? That sounds bigger than some modern FPS games.

It seems unlikely that it would be bigger than 10GB. You're right, that is larger than the majority of extremely graphics heavy games. Battlefield bad company 2, for example, is 5.8GB on disk (and was compressed when it was downloaded so the download itself was even smaller).

I would expect Civ5 to be 4GB or less.

I wouldn't worry too much about modding. Remember, one of the most modded games in history (Half Life 2) is on Steam.

I don't think you can buy a game you can't download, unless you move from a region where Steam is allowed to distribute that game to one where it is not.

I think the refund policy is they don't do them unless its a pre-order you've cancelled before release.

About the full EULA, I don't remember. I suspect I've only seen it before installation, not purchase. Are they obligated to publish EULAs on publishers website for the game or anything? In the manual?

I'm pretty sure the game is region locked based on the location of purchase, not current location. People who live in Australia get Americans to gift them games on Steam because it's cheaper and they get the uncensored American version that way (AUS doesn't have a rating for games beyond 16 year olds so games that would be rated M in the US are sometimes banned or censored for AUS).

Top Bottom