Canadian Football League 2005 Season Thread

The 93rd Grey Cup will be played at the BC Place Stadium in Vancouver, British Columbia, but the road to it has already begun! Tonight, Dave Dickenson played a masterful game, steering his BC Lions to a 27-20 victory over the dastardly Toronto Argonauts, while last night the Eskimos destroyed a hapless Ottawa Renegades squad 41-16. Hamilton lost in Montreal 31-21, while Saskatchewan is beating Winnipeg as I post, with the score 39-15. I will post some of my season predictions later, but for now, let's just sit back and enjoy some quality football! :king:

Pasi Nurminen said:
while last night the Eskimos destroyed a hapless Ottawa Renegades squad 41-16.
Hapless is an overly positive description... we haven't had a good season in close to 25 years and we haven't won in Edmonton since 1983. 1983! :cry:

BC had a fantastic opener in Toronto (wish we played like that in last years
Grey Cup). It was a good start but Dickenson can't play like that all season or he's going to get injured. Toronto sure got to him with some big hits and far too many sacks. Our offensive line had better start stepping it up and get him some protection or it will be another shortened season for him. Simmons (sp?) was a fantastic aquisition in the off season and provides another lethal target for Dickenson. I just hope he gets better with each game.

Predictions: In the east it will come down to two teams, Montreal and Toronto (I think Montreal will represent the east in the Grey Cup), while the west looks a lot closer with Saskatchewan, Edmonton, and BC vying for top spot (Go Lions!!!).

After the debacle that was the NHL this year, I'm going to be watching as many games as I can this year.

Even if our offensive unit can't or won't (could this be the start of a Dickenson vs Printers lockerroom split?) prevent Dickenson from getting injured, we still have Casey Printers to fall back on. Had the offensive line provided some blocking for him, the score would have been much higher than it was for BC, and I have a hunch this may be our weakness, which will cause us to fall apart in the playoffs.

When talking about the BC offence, how could we overlook the complete meltdown by O'Manny. The two field goals he missed were virtually gimmies (at least at the pro level they are). I hope he comes back with a solid outing next week.

With either Dickenson or Printers, our offence should stay on track all season.

I used to be a big CFL fan going to almost every game to see the Alouettes kick the butts of every team in the league. Guys like Tracy Ham, Michael Soles, Pierre Vercheval, Ben Cahoon and especially Mike Pringle put my ass in the seat for years.

But now that the Als have become the Atlanta Braves of the CFL (always finishing first, rarely winning) I've become tired of watching them choke year after year.

I now see more football-soccer games.
GO IMPACT!

Things could be worse. You could be a Renegades fan. :lol: I predict it will be a long season for the Blus Bombers this year and Edmonton could very well win it all.

Brewster said:
Things could be worse. You could be a Renegades fan. :lol:
The only thing worse than being a Renegades fan today is being a Renegades fan today and having been a Rough Riders fan before. :cry:

I want my Sens back...

Tough game for the Renegades against Montreal today. I wonder how long PaoPao is going to keep his job. Season opener for the Stamps tonight. We'll see how they handle the Argos.

Damn I miss hockey :cry:

Finally, 1000 posts!

Hopefully the Stampeders will actually do good this year :D

WOW!! What a comback for Ottawa. Down 23 points at the start of the 4th quarter and they win in OT!! Great way to enjoy Canada Day. :goodjob:

Toronto 22-Calgary 16. :(

Brewster said:
WOW!! What a comback for Ottawa. Down 23 points at the start of the 4th quarter and they win in OT!! Great way to enjoy Canada Day. :goodjob:

You know it's almost a shame this won't carry on throughout the year and give them a winning record...I'll admit that I don't know much about the Renegades, and that which I do know is solely from the mass media (ie TSN), but this is just an aberration in what should be an almost winless season for them. It would be heartwarming to see teams like that go to the playoffs, and the free-spending Eskimos go down to the bottom.

*unrelated note* I love Wally Buono, because he plays a smart game of football, in that he knows how to push his players buttons to get them motivated.

I rememeber last year when the Renegades won their first 3 games, then went and lost about 13 straight :lol:

Pasi Nurminen said:
It would be heartwarming to see teams like that go to the playoffs, and the free-spending Eskimos go down to the bottom.
Heartwarming it would be, but happening it won't. The Als just fell asleep at the switch, that's all. And for all his reputation, Joe Paopao has to be one of the least-deserving coach in the CFL. There was a 3rd and 2 where he was actually going to kick a field goal being 10 down with 2 minutes to go until the crowd forced him to go for it.... jeezus

Saskatchewan just edged out the Tigercats in another close game. Is it just me or does the west look very strong this year while the eastern teams are all going through a rebuilding phase?

Calgary wins a rather uninspiring game tonight (at least I think they did). Not much in the way of offence for either team but a relatively enjoyable game.

Big game tomorrow night for BC. We'll see if Dickenson can continue to dominate the defensively challenged Renegades again. Go Lions!!!

Are we ever being blessed with some great football games this year. The entire weekend has been exciting with two of the three games comming down to the last play to decide things. Montreal pulled out all the stops and came back against a tough Edmonton side to win by 2 and Toronto pulled themselves out of a rather lackluster first half by clipping the Roughriders 28-27. The only game that wasn't close (at least on the scoreboard) was the Lions and Renegades. BC floundered in the first quarter allowing 3 sacks in the first 10 minutes of the game (had me cursing and pulling out my hair) but came back with a strong second half to improve to 2-0 (only undefeated team left). I hope next week is as exciting as this week was.

Top Bottom