College Football In Season Thread

I want to see Alabama play a night game in Madison in late October. Please make this happen, Football Jesus.

:lol: Unfortunately, Alabama tends to play its major OOC opponents before conference play starts. That's kind of the whole point: Get a good test of your team in before you start playing the games that count. But you'd have to think we'd do pretty well in bad conditions, considering our style of play :dunno:

Yeah, and I'm not even sure what Bama gets out of that. I'm sure Wisky leaked that to take some heat off the YOU NEVER PLAY ANYBODY storyline. I know they're going after Notre Dame, and if the B1G-PAC12 arrangement holds up, they should get a top 4 PAC team every year.

I think they'll prob have to look towards the ACC or the Big 12 for a better out of conference partner. Wisky will demand a home and home, and the only sec team willing to do that is Alabama apparently (and they're busy).
Most of the 'name' SEC teams have shown a willingness to play in other major conference home stadiums in recent years, but I think that's probably becoming a thing of the past.

For Alabama at least, even if we weren't busy, I'm not sure we'd want to do a home-and-home with anyone anymore. We've got that one with Michigan State scheduled, and we just finished that one with Penn State last year, but those were motivated by Saban's history with Michigan State and Alabama's history with Penn State.

Neutral site games just make more financial sense for everyone involved.

Combine that with the fact that conference expansion is creating a push for more conference games, and then deals like the Big Ten/Pac-12 arrangement you mentioned gobbling up another slot on everyone's schedule, and I think big ticket one-off OOC games are going to continue to become less prevalent, even with the supposed emphasis on strength of schedule that the playoffs should bring.

Again, I can't really speak for other conferences, but if the SEC went to 9 conference games, I don't really see any of the big SEC schools thinking "Yeah, let's see if we can't wedge a USC or Ohio State in there somewhere too". It would just be crazy. LSU went that route last year, and what did it get them . . ?

We sent Jermaine Preyear to Alabama State a few years back as I recall. He did pretty well his first year I think, then, inexplicably, he disappeared from the roster :dunno:

It's going to drag into several, since those lawsuits aren't going to stop, and PSU is going to take a long time to recover, either from NCAA sanctions, or their budget being obliterated by lawsuits.

I think... it's time to quietly remove that statue. And to squash any attempt to rename Beaver Stadium. I feel stupid for defending him last year. I really thought he was a better man than that.

Seriously, if this ain't an egregious case of lack of institutional control, then I don't know what would the hell else would qualify. Coaches murdering the opposing team?

Miami's situation was certainly close to a "lack of institutional control". But this is much, much worse than what happened at the U.

I imagine there were few more pleased with this report than the trustees at the U. Their fiasco had slipped to the backburners and it certainly ain't coming back up again now. And even if that weren't a factor, I can't see the NCAA hitting 2 prominent schools with the death penalty at once.

Fishing for opinions!

If you take the death penalty off the table for Penn State, what's the proper course of sanctions? Stripping the program of all wins from '98 to '11? Forcing the school to disassociate with JoePa (byebye statue, institution names)?

If the NCAA doesnt use the death penalty, then there really isn't any other sanction that would be appropriate.

I don't know. I feel like anything the NCAA does -- including imposing the death penalty -- just trivializes the whole thing. I think they should let the real courts handle this one :dunno:

I don't know. I feel like anything the NCAA does -- including imposing the death penalty -- just trivializes the whole thing. I think they should let the real courts handle this one :dunno:

No. If you're an employer and one of your employees commits a crime, it's not trivializing the situation to fire him.

Yeah, but the NCAA and Penn State don't have an employer/employee relationship.

In other news, I see that whole Big Ten/Pac 12 challenge thing isn't happening anymore, which sucks. As a cfb fan, I was pretty excited first about the games themselves, but also about any sort of trend or precedent that the deal may have set . . .

Media days. Media Days! MEDIA DAYS!!!

In other news, a neat Sporting News primer for A&M and Missouri. I've never personally bought into #1, but #2 is truth and #3 makes this valid point:
Sporting News said:
Consider this: Texas A&M went from playing two big games a year, to playing every team in the SEC’s current six-year national title run this fall: Florida, LSU, Alabama and Auburn
They should be fine :dunno:

EDIT: #8's good too . . .

Top Bottom