Sim City (4) Succession Session!

@Madviking, Nials: no XP? but you've had nearly 10 years!

@Quintillus: There's a link to NAM at the end of this post, it has an installer that should guide you through the process. I imagine if you wanted carry on without it you could install it when it was your turn to manage, then uninstall it for the rest of the time. Also, "Peckville" might be a little too indulgent for a city name :D

@everyone: I've gone with a provisional name of "Fort Consternation" but anyone can change this in-game if they so choose.

Good to see we've got the makings of a committee- everyone's free to join at anytime- and don't worry too much about inexperience, SC4's very forgiving in that respect (and if anything does go horribly wrong, the person after can fix it!) Feel free, too, to pitch in with suggestions, observations and whatnot.

As it stands it looks like:

Peck of Arabia (Myself)
Civcube
Quintillus
MoreEpicThanYou

and that's 20 years of glorious rule right there.

In the interests of compatability everyone should install The Network Addon Mod, which can be found here. I went with default settings for everything.

Everyone ready for this?

I'm interested, but I'm not sure about the state of my mods and my old computer can't handle big cities without tons of lag. I guess I'll sit on the sidelines now, get the game installed and running on my new laptop, and maybe jump in later.

Installed it on w7 64 and works like a charm. I am using the launcher Maniacal mentioned and apparently it is using 3 of my 8 cores! Also it has an autosave feauture just in case it CTD.

BTW, i just realize i have not a clue about simcity .I will have to re-learn it.

I'll have to look up that launcher because I notice my SimCity 4 crashing to the desktop on a multicore.

get this going ... I was see this ...

Are we using the latest version of the NAM? I see it's still being updated. Also, does there happen to be a download location that doesn't care if I register or not?

I think I'll play this on my laptop, so I can suffer through the unmodded transit systems in my current cities on my main computer. Maybe I'll be convinced to go with the NAM by default after trying it here. Still not sure why it's considered totally necessary yet. Transport seems to be working fairly well in my city of 70,000 without it. :dunno:

Please is there some page where you can download last version of NAM from and you dont have to register? I have tried a couple yet but they dont send me the confirmation mail so i cant sign up. It is irritating. :mad:

Also, does there happen to be a download location that doesn't care if I register or not?
All of the major sites require registration, for some bloody reason.

I had no problems getting the e-mails when I made accounts last year, check your spam mail.

The one I linked to to download NAM didn't ask me register, though maybe I got lucky. I'm using NAM Version 30, I believe, with no hotfixes or anything.

Also, an update is on the way!

Finally after some sweat blood and tears i finally managed to download NAM 31 from simtropolis. I dont understand these sites which keeps freeware content how if it was gold. If bandwidth is the problem it is that difficult to paste a torrent? Or it is the donations "to keep this site free" what they are really looking for?

Chapter 1: "Founding Father? ...Technically, I guess"

Welcome to the area soon to be know as Fort Consternation.

A smattering of water makes for a little variation, and the hilly terrain provides a bit of a challenge and will hopefully break-up a rigid grid system and allow for some rather aesthetic city design.

A smattering of trees were placed while in God mode. The game was still running as I was figuring out how best to take screenshots, so this was how I spent the first 7 months of my administration :blush:

So with the view admired it was time to incorporate the city. A small ceremony was held, speeches were made and a plaque markng the new settlement of Fort Consternation unveiled. With some embarrassment it was noted there was nowhere to affix the plaque, yet, but regardless there was much rejoicing.

Fort Consternation
Mayor: Peck of Arabia
Population: 0
Mayor Rating: 0
Funds $200,000

Administrative Agenda: Build the beginnings of a city in as financially responsible a manner as possible

First order of business was the power debate.

Wind, gas, oil and coal were all put on the table as potential options. Gas was right out, far too pricey for the meagre output it offered.

Oil didn't last much longer- if your going to go dirty fuel you may as well go all the way.

Wind was a serious contender- a small town would only need a couple and more could be added as the city grew.

In the end however, Coal won out- the allure of cheap power, made even cheaper by budget cuts, coupled with the ability to put it out the way of residents won out. Besides, it was figured, if industry was going to pollute anyway all that extra expense would be wasted.

Residential was placed a fair distance from major air pollutants, and the commercial sector was drafted to fill in the gaps in the power grid.

6 months in came one of the most controversial decisions of the administration, toll roads. In order to help fund further construction and aid an ailing budget, a toll booth was set up on the sole stretch of road linking residents to their jobs, industry with their employees.

“Roads don't pay for themselves” argued proponents of the toll booth “and continued expansion requires a greater income”

“What do our taxes pay for?” answered it's critics. “Citizens' livelihoods are being held to ransom by a grasping, tyrannical bureaucracy!”

In the end the measure was forced through with the compromise that health and education were to be provided by the end of the mayoral term, earlier than the administration wanted.

The toll booth furore meant a delay in the construction of the Mayor's house, but it was eventually offered on the 31/03/01, and constructed two weeks later

To which the administration responded with an unofficial statement of approval...

After being shouted at by the utilities adviser:

More funding was granting to the power plant, and to recover the cost, a hamlet was established on the outskirts (OK, not the most efficient thing I could have done, but I wanted a different growth pattern to grid after grid after grid which what most of my cities look like.)

Continued below

Part 2!

A budgetary review a few months later saw the administration vindicated as money from tolls was double the tax income provided by the commercial sector and no ill effects, besides disgruntled commuters, were felt (To my knowledge, toll booths are worth it early on and don't cause and traffic problems until there's substantial traffic flow)

True to the agreement, a medical clinic was provided, and school promised later in the pipeline and, talking of pipelines, basic water infrastructure was provided as a bonus.

There was a request put in for a House of Worship a month later.
“What will it cost?”
“Nothing”
“You're my kind of petitioners. Approved!”

For the next year nothing much happened, aside from the day to day management of running a small town, but all the while there was a problem mounting...

I usually forget about garbage and wonder why a) land value and health is so low and b) how much budget is doing so well- so I commissioned a landfill on 25/03/03, something I felt to be a bit on the early side. Within a week it already half full!

With adequate garbage collection came the better offs and an 01/06/03 a delegation, including the mayor welcomed Fort Consternation's first middle wealth family, and was astounded at how much greener their grass was- among other things

on the 13/03/04 the best petitioners in the world wanted no public funds for a graveyard. Great!

All was quiet until the rest of the year when, realising their term was up and no education provided, hastily constructed an Elementary School was established on 09/10/04. A bit late for the start of term, but considering there was no start of term for the last 4 years, this was clearly an improvement.

Two months later the allotted 5 years were up and the Peck administration left with its head held high, albeit to a mixed reception as keys to the Mayor's house were passed to their successor.

Fort Consternation
Mayor: CivCube
Population: 2851 (+2851)
Mayor Rating: 58 (+58)
Funds $180,556 (- $19,444)

Well that was fun. Agenda-wise, I built a city (though I doubt I could have really failed that) though perhaps not with as much financial caution as I would have hoped. Ordinarily I would not have put water or garbage infrastructure in yet, and maybe held off on schools or health. Still, with no police or fire-fighters it's closer to a 'libertarian paradise' than anywhere I know.

Here's the .zip, oh, it's a .rar, is that OK?- hope this works:

Attachments

• City - Fort Consternation.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
Excellent start. :goodjob: Was there a specific region you were playing in, or shall I extract it in the main Regions folder?

If you download and extract the file to Documents/Sim City 4/Regions/Downloads you should be able to then import it in game to a region of your choice, as long as it has a large city site, using the import city button.

To send it on to the next person- copy the file, zip the copy and post it up here.

Subscribed, but I won't be able to play until I'm back home and have access to my Sim City 4 CDs.

Nice start. You're much more fiscally cautious when starting than I am. I usually find myself down to $20K within a couple years of nonstop building. I see you even gained some money the last couple years.

I do now have the NAM, version 30 as well, so I'll be ready after CivCube's mayorship.

Subbed, but I don't have time to participate. Maybe later.
Good start though, I'm interested to see where this goes.

Top Bottom