Sim City (4) Succession Session!

No necessarily. :mischief:
Spoiler :

Peck's second Term!

Peck arrived back at City Hall, by no means expecting a rapturous reception- good thing really, because it wasn't going to be a “rapturous applause” kind of administration; due largely to the little budgetary hiccup...

That is, there was, theoretically, more in Peck's wallet than there was in the city coffers, though there was healthy surplus in the city budget which a few harsh measures made better. For the next five years the administration decided the budget would be number one priority. Beyond some tinkering at the edges, there would be no dramatic cash outlays.

Budget cuts conducted with such a brazen attitude and in so careless a manner naturally caused resentment, and it wasn't long before the cities public services were up in arms. Strikes, it transpired would be a regular feature of the administration.

Thorgalaeg's strategy of building a beach based community an the coast, despite initial doubts, was paying dividends (it would later grow to look awesome). It also looked fairly pleasant and, anyway any major rezoning was held back by budgetary constraints. A newly commission private school would mean in that area at least somebody was getting educated despite sustained industrial action.

The remaining budget was put aside for some infrastructure to get the city moving and, for a time,I think I forgot what game I was playing...

There was a fully functioning rail system already present, but it left half of the city out. This was fixed, but required a fair amount of bulldozing :c5razing:

As railroads become the name of the game and the last of the budget was spent on rails, or at least getting people from A to B nobody in the administration was really focused anything else. In what must surely have been a low point for the city, there was no money in the bank for even basic construction, and a rather ill-advised speech by the mayor had a predictable and understandable response.

“We are the administration who cares! Just look at our record on health, education, the environment and public safety! Whenever they're mentioned we always say; 'Who cares?' :dunno:”

Not helped by the approval from the mayor's office for construction of a snooty country club. He had time for country clubs and playing with railways, but none for you, or your children's well-being?

Worst of all, there was no money in the bank for a new mayor statue! So strained were relations between mayor and city that when the statue was finally commissioned (in Thorgalaeg's Bay looking out to sea) it was revealed to actually be of some random woman in a humiliating snub towards Mayor Peck. Confusion ensued and fingers were pointed, but ultimately nothing was done and, well, it was a nice enough statue.

A quick look at the new rail system made gave Mayor Peck a warm sense of achievement, as thousands of cars were taken off the road, and passenger traffic on the extended rail system soared. Welcome good news after a hard first year.

Year 26 started in much the same way- strikes and protests- Though February saw the passing of an unusual “building style” decree. When question as to why a government spokesman was heard to mumble something about “being seen to be doing something”

In April the administration got the shock of it's life;- mayoral approval went up! Ultimately it got to around 70 where it stayed for the duration of the term! The exact cause is unknown and it was decided not to look to deeply into in lest such good cheer vanish if looked at too closely

The rest of year 26 was spent tinkering, really.

The beginning of Year 27 saw an infusion of law and order into the city as a courthouse was approved and constructed, but the main story for the rest of the term was the administration's change of heart.

The last three years saw the administration find it's conscience- the budget was sorted and a comfortable amount of cash was now available for grand schemes and the like, but at what cost?

A beautification project to restore the hill devastated by MoreEpicThanYou's energetic industrial expansion was seen very much like fiddling while Rome burned as schools and hospitals remained on strike and life in Fort Consteration became dangerous and miserable

Figures collected on the scale of the problem truly shamed the administration. Schools and hospitals were hideously overcrowded, police coverage woefully inadequate and dangerous, out-of-control fires commonplace.

Suddenly the budget figures released by the administration, though impressive- were criticised as callous- brutally efficient- and rather than being lauded, Peck was jeered as some kind of Dickensian miser.

Placards went up around the mayoral mansion with one of Scrooge's infamous lines "If they would rather die, they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population." as well as the rather more standard “Bah! Humbug!”

Even news of stunningly successful development around the beach front rang out rather hollow in such an environment.

Action, it was decided, must be done and large amounts were spent rectifying the situation, proper funding for the police, a new large hospital, and three new schools to accommodate the exploding population. A line was drawn at fire fighting though and fires continued to be a problem right up to the last couple of weeks.

Finally it was remembered that a Minor League Stadium was available- hoping to end his term on a dignified high, the stadium was commissioned to stand proudly astride the hilltop- unfortunately, the engineers had other plans...

So here it is in all it's glory, Fort Consternation. If not safer, healthier or better educated than when Mayor Peck took office (quite the reverse, in fact) it's still larger, richer now with a comprehensive, fully functioning, rail system.

Contrary to the mixed reception from the Peck Administration's first term, it was widely agreed that, though it had it's faults, the Second Peck Administration, once it had developed a softer streak, was mostly well liked by the time it left office.

:D

Fort Consternation

Mayor: Quintillus
Population: 53,005 (+ 24,315 :eek:)
Funds: $117,513 (+ $117,216- you're welcome :p)
Mayor rating: 70!

Attachments

• City - Fort Consternation (2).rar
    4.2 MB · Views: 74
They could be a subtropical species of pine madviking.

EDIT: Also, nice work peck!

Wow, that's quite a bit more money than I was expecting to have in the treasury. I'm still not sure how the approval rating went up, though, with all the fires and overcrowding. Some of those Sims must really like the trains!

What a lot of cash! Imagine how many beaches could be built with all that money... :drool:

I love the Petra-style stadium too. :lol: The only problem is that in case of accident, cars could fall over the spectators.

Mayor Quintillus was elected to a second term on a campaign with two goals in mind - end the austerity measures imposed by Peck of Arabia, and with them the strikes, and to continue the growth that Peck had overseen (with much credit due to Thorgalaeg).

Spoiler Load story and images :
He hadn't even walked into the door of the Mayor's House when the local Transportation Dude stopped him in his tracks, going on about airports or some such nonsense.

Well, okay. We'll see what we can do. But can I at least take a spin around the city first?

Apparently not...

Once the Mayor finally did get a chance to tour the city, he was more or less pleased with what he saw. Fort Consternation was a lot different than 20 years ago. The old low-wealth residential areas had gentrified, and were now almost exclusively wealthy. Industry had migrated... more than once. MoreEpicThanYou Memorial Hill had gone through trials and tribulations, and despite Peck of Arabia's efforts, still didn't look as good as the other hills. About the only things that were the same were the original power plant and the farms. Mayor Quintillus was quite happy, and a bit surprised, that the farms had survived four successors' terms.

The effects of Peck of Arabia's terms were visible. The bank vaults were once more healthy, after a prolonged slump.

Education and life expectancy had suffered, however. The residents of Fort Consternation were richer, less educated, and not living as long as they had been five years ago.

Peck's railroad program had been stunningly successful. More people now took the train to work than drove cars.

The Mayor was especially surprised that people seemed to be willing to walk farther to catch the train than in other cities he was familiar with. He was also puzzled that some train stations had a capacity of 2000, and others of 24,000, with no apparent reason for the difference. In some cases the higher capacity was indeed needed - including at some stations with the lower capacity. The only other confusing part with rail was that freight traffic was nearly nonexistant, despite ample stations by industry.

The first task of the Mayor was familiar - adding water mains. The new industrial sector was half without water, which likely explained its undeveloped areas. Simultaneously, the Mayor raised taxes on dirty industry to 12%, while cutting taxes on manufacturing and the non-existant high-tech sector to 8%. This would also raise an additional 450 simoleons per month in revenue.

The Mayor also noticed that their was excess landfill capacity. As landfill was expensive, he de-zoned about 10% of the landfill. He reckoned the savings would justify the cost to re-zone it later. However, this didn't seem to help. Within two months, pickup and delivery costs had increased by over 1000 simoleons/month :(. Fortunately those costs didn't stay that high.

Despite the higher taxes, there was a boom of dirty industry with the new water provided, and that necessitated a new Water Pump. The Mayor was tempted to build a high-capacity one, but couldn't justify the cost for 200,000 cubic feet of capacity when the city's usage was less than half that. So a new pump was built instead. The Mayor was pleased that MoreEpicThanYou Memorial Water was still providing adequate cleansing capacity.

Fire funding was also increased - it was time to end the firefighters' strikes.

So with the basics underway, it was time for expansion. Mayor Quintillus had a place in mind for this.

See that nice area with the snooty country club? I guess it's kinda in the country now. But that isn't going to be the case forever. A country club really ought to be in the country! This is going to be where the city is!

So, some bulldozing was commenced.

Err... was going to be commenced until the 18,000 simoleon pricetag for bulldozing the country club was seen. This was none too pleasing. Not wanting to be seen as wasting money bulldozing the country club, the Mayor increased taxes on the wealthy to 10.4%, thereby recouping the 18,000 simoleons within the administration's tenure. Residential demand was high enough he figured it wouldn't affect population too much.

Voila! No more snooty country club! The House of Worship escaped as it was reckoned that it could be worked in to the new development, rather than bulldozed for §3500.

And then the Mayor spent several weeks in the local blueprint office. When he was finished, he had a plan for a whole neighborhood - to be called Central Park.

It was hoped that this would be a center for city-dwellers, just as the beachfront area had been for beach lovers. The House of Worship fit in nicely, too - a nice bonus, since the development had ended up being quite expensive. Some of the industry that had been removed from the west was re-zoned in the original industrial area as designed by Peck of Arabia, to increase toll booth revenues once more.

A couple months later, a Disease Research Center was offered.

The Mayor thought this would be a good idea, but decided to wait until later in his term to build it, after the coffers had more thoroughly recovered from the new area of town. A new statue was also offered, which flattered the Mayor, but at a cost of 22,000 Simoleons it was not exactly cheap.

Most of the rest of the first year was spent in consternation, trying to figure out why no one would build in the area, aside from the first few tenements. Just as the Mayor was about to throw in the towel on the development, that fall some commercial buildings came. And by spring of the second year, some more housing was coming. It seems the 10,000 people in the first few tenements simply caused a glut of workers; reinvigorating the old industrial zone appeared to be helping. A new school and clinic serving the area surely weren't hurting, either.

In May of 2032, the Mayor was petitioned to build a Solar Plant by environmentally conscious Sims.

At a cost of 30,000, it would be a huge drain on the city's coffers, and there was still (barely) enough power, so the Mayor decided to put it on hold. But he was pleased by all the opportunities coming up.

Soon thereafter, the Mayor zoned a new industrial port along the western seashore, following some complaints of commute time from Central Park dwellers. Before long, industry was popping up.

The Mayor hoped that with new tax rates - 7.0% for high-tech and 14.0% for dirty - that much of the industry would not be heavily polluting.

And it worked. High-tech, non-polluting industry flocked to the new area. In turn, residential development soared. By the end of the year, Fort Consternation had 80,000 people.

And they wanted a zoo!

Sadly, the mayor was using all the cash to create jobs - 3000-person tenements demanded a lot of those. But he'd try to get one before the gorilla grip forced him to.

Not only job, but also traffic, was beginning to slow growth. Even the new avenues couldn't meet the demands. Buildings were being abandoned due to the situation. The Mayor was adding more bus stops, but that wasn't proving to be enough. And subways were expensive!

Midway through his third year, the Mayor built a high school for the new area, as well as the city's first college, near the high-tech industrial area.

It was hoped this might eventually alleviate the traffic from all the poorly educated Sims in the high-density zone going to work in the dirty industry.

In fall of the third year, a major league stadium was offered, but the cost was §78,000. That was not happening!

To start off the fourth year, the Mayor enacted a number of ordinances. A smoke alarm ordinance was made to help avoid a repeat of the fires of Peck's last term. Education was invested in with a pro-reading program, and junior sports were brought to town to give the youth something to do (other than play Sim City) after school. And a CPR training class was implemented. The Mayor even got a contract to have a CPR song air on the radio!

Link to video.

Finally, a Clean Air Act was implemented. The Mayor did not consider himself a friend of dirty industry!

By mid-summer, it appeared nearly all zones were built up. So, the mayor rearranged some railroads, and built some new residential and high-tech zones.

August 2033 saw the first fire of the mayor's current term.

It was quickly quelled, with little lasting damage. Whew! Glad those firefighters weren't on strike!

Housing and commercial demand was still robust in the fall, so the mayor decided to build an exclusive, upper-elevation community.

Complete with a lighthouse and their own power supply! Not to be too ritzy, they were still on the city's main water system. But it was hoped that rich Sims would flock to the isolated community. And the views... oh, the views!

Spoiler Load continuation of story and images :
The Mayor's last year began with the construction of Beach Crusade Memorial High, in Thorgalaeg's neighborhood.

We had to be sure there was No Sim Left Behind!

The Sims obviously agreed; a few weeks later a petition for a private school was made. The Mayor agreed, and St. Francis High was opened near Central Park.

In the spring, another fire broke out in the same area as the one the year before. It was put out, but the Mayor subsequently build a small fire station in the area - this was becoming rather ridiculous.

Utilities were becoming a problem again, and this time, the Mayor bit the bullet and bought a Large Water Pump.

No more water problems here!

However, the mayor realized that this new pump was expensive. As a result, all water towers and all but two of the old water pumps were de-commissioned in favor of this new, more efficient design. The water supplies were then so clean that the treatment plant was likely unnecessary... but the mayor decided to leave the fate of MoreEpicThanYou Water to its namesake.

Also on the docket was the overcrowding at Fort Consternation Medical Center. It simply didn't have enough physical space for its patients, no matter what funding was.

A new Medical Center was established near Central Park to accomodate for this, and by the end of the year both would be operating efficiently.

Finally, the power plants were operating at over 95% capacity, even with maximal funding. At this rate, the next mayor would enter office only to have complaints of brownouts in February. So, a new power plant was called for. Three options were seriously considered. Coal, obviously, was cheap. Solar had been asked for, but was really expensive. So, as a compromise, an oil plant was built.

Quintillus Memorial Power would provide electricity for many years, all while being in the slightly-less-polluting spirit that the mayor was promoting. This also allowed the coal plants to go back to normal power production levels.

November saw a petition for a new house of worship. So the Mayor opened a new church by the farms he had helped build his previous term.

As the Mayor left office, Fort Consternation had changed yet again. The population's rapid increase had only accelerated, and high-tech industry was now contributing in a meaningful way. The city was rapidly becoming known in Sim Nation.

But there were still challenges. The transit system, working so well before, was now overloaded, particularly on the avenues. The next mayor would have to decide how to tackle this if the city were to keep growing.

Jobs seemed to be in insufficient supply, particularly commercial ones, but land available for development was becoming precious. And education levels had actually dropped in the past five years. This was attributed in no small part to most of the 40,000 new residents being uneducated - education was highly divided amongst neighborhood lines.

The Mayor was happy though. First a legacy of farming, now a legacy of making Fort Consternation a large, high-tech city. Now he just had to hope it didn't all get bulldozed!

Fort Consternation

Population: 94,971 (+41,966) :eek:
Funds: §79,978 (-§37,535) (probably a good thing I didn't build the major league stadium!)
Mayor Approval: 9/12

Nice job! It really has the feel of a bustling metropolis now, hasn't it? I'm surprised that there's still loads of land available for further expansion after 35 years of pretty much none stop city growth.

Did those graphs at the beginning tell a story as well! I didn't check those ones during my tenure "At the start of my term I promised to lead Fort Consternation towards another century- I'm afraid things got a little mixed up in the press, as I actually meant the nineteenth..."

Well, seems a lot has happened since my last term. I'll see if I can improve education and other stuff, as well as name everything I build after me.

Is there a way to randomly generate a new region as the standard regions that come with the game aren't great?

I've been able to download regions from Simtropolis however the maps seem to require this to be installed:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=731 (I'm probably blind but all I can see is a direct x download link)
Also I can't login into Simtropolis even after using the forgotten password link.

Sorry about interrupting the thread but I'm hoping this will be a quick question.

Is there a way to randomly generate a new region as the standard regions that come with the game aren't great?

I've been able to download regions from Simtropolis however the maps seem to require this to be installed:
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=731 (I'm probably blind but all I can see is a direct x download link)
Also I can't login into Simtropolis even after using the forgotten password link.

Sorry about interrupting the thread but I'm hoping this will be a quick question.

I recommend using the SC4Mapper tool from Simtropolis, that worked well for me when I made my new region. The BSC Lot Exchange requires a separate login for the SC4Devotion website.

EDIT: Actually, I didn't quite understand your post. The Landscape Generator does exactly what you want it to do!

Nice job! It really has the feel of a bustling metropolis now, hasn't it? I'm surprised that there's still loads of land available for further expansion after 35 years of pretty much none stop city growth.

Did those graphs at the beginning tell a story as well! I didn't check those ones during my tenure "At the start of my term I promised to lead Fort Consternation towards another century- I'm afraid things got a little mixed up in the press, as I actually meant the nineteenth..."

Ha! You certainly did a good job with the railroads. Who cares if they're mid-nineteenth century steam engines! And yes, it is beginning to feel like a metropolis. I was a bit tempted to turn the low-density residential areas into high-rises, to to really make it feel like a big city. But I didn't want to spend all the money, and if traffic was bad already it would've been five times worse with that. So, there's still a large amount of low density houses.

Well, seems a lot has happened since my last term. I'll see if I can improve education and other stuff, as well as name everything I build after me.

I think the education will mostly come with time - just have to get all the newcomers through the system and it should go up. Jobs in the right areas and traffic, though, ought to give more of a challenge. Eventually I'd expect it to improve now that there's a college.

I think you'll benefit in healthcare from the new hospital, too. I was only able to maintain the status quo, but I think a couple years of overcrowding is the reason why.

I have no idea :dunno:.

Yes! After a hard campaign, the citizens of Fort Consternation have decided that their favorite mayor, MoreEpicThanYou "The Egomaniac", is the best choice for the job! The city has grown since I was mayor, but my policy of "Name everything after me" is sure to propel the city to new heights!

The first year of my mayorship was quiet, as I was saving up for my latest project: Southside! A bastion of middle-class families and their office jobs. I started with a grid of commerical zones, which were in high demand.

It was around then that the teachers demanded I increase funding, which I complied with as long as they use a quarter of that funding on new copies of "Swagging Up A City: The First Mayorship of MoreEpicThanYou". It is now required reading across the city.

Once again, I used the chaos created by forcing thousands of youngsters to read that book as a distraction to increase the landfill size.

As part of Phase Two of Southside, MoreEpicThanYou Memorial High School, MoreEpicThanYou Memorial Large Elementary School, and MoreEpicThanYou Memorial Hospital are built, to help draw in families.

What? These are LOW-CLASS familes! And I zoned it for medium-density! What are they all doing here? I added MoreEpicThanYou Memorial Police Station and MoreEpicThanYou Memorial Fire Department, to no avail.

Meanwhile, Quint's pet project's school is begging for more money. I obliged.

There's a lot in this picture: the expansion of Southside, the decent budget, and that we passed 100k citizens. Amazing!

I've decided to return to my roots. And by "roots", I mean putting industrial zones on hills! Hi-tech industry makes it a bit more bearable than before, though. (I increased this industrial area's size later, but forgot to take pictures.)

Dayum. Now THAT'S some unemployment. Wait, are those middle-class houses to the south..?

The MoreEpicThanYou Memorial Power Plant is built right next to Quint's power plant, forever obscuring it from view. :p

My plan was a success! Because I built so many high-tech jobs, the poorer people with less educations weren't qualified. They moved out to towns with more dirty industry,
and well-educated, middle-class families moved in! I have created...

...the (MoreEpicThanYou Memorial) SUBURBAN JUNGLE!!!

Link to video.

And so ends my term. I've created a powerful middle-class area, that hopefully you guys won't destroy! I wonder who's running against me...

God dammit. THE REPUBLOCRATS WILL RETURN!

Fort Consternation

Population: 94,971 106,035 (+11,064) (Not as good as last time, but still decent.)
Funds: §94,145 (+§14,167) (What? an INCREASE in funds?)
Mayor Approval: 9/12

Attachments

• City - Fort Consternation.rar
    5.2 MB · Views: 46
I rather regret now not splurging on the Hollywood sign for that now high-tech hill... looks like it's too late to save it now...

Nice grid layout and fiscal restraint, though. And fire coverage in a new neighborhood, that's a novel idea!

I just discovered a little trick to flatten terrain. It is much better and cheaper than using the flatten tool and consist in covering all the irregular terrain with streets. That way it becomes flat automatically. I would say it is even too easy. Should us use this super-power and become super-mayors, obtaining more flat terrain to build things (since space is getting more and more scarce) or would it be better to respect mother nature and move to a new scenery when all usable terrain is built? (which will occur pretty soon)

The street plop tool is incredibly useful, especially when making waterfronts with plugins.

Don't the roads still go up and down the hills? Or do they flatten if you just build ribbon after ribbon of pavement right next to each other?

Each mayor's in control during their term. Though I do hope we don't end up with just grids everywhere. And germanicus12 has already shown his hill-friendly attributes previously.

If you build a single road, yes. But if you completely cover the terrain with a grid of roads (N-S and E-W) the covered surface flattens.

Top Bottom