What boardgames did you just play?

Played Hey, That's My Fish! with my roommates last night. Really fun game with a surprising amount of thinking and strategy that can be employed. Quite short too, I think it would actually be an ideal family game as well.

I've just bought 7 Wonders, but I'm waiting to have my first game. :)

Read the rules beforehand, makes it a lot easier ^^.
Our first game was utter chaos, because I didn't have time before to do that.
Now, after I've played a couple of games (8, or so), I begin to really get a grasp of possible strategies. It's really nice :).

I played Jaipur the other day. Its really fun a fast. Surprisingly tense at times to when the other player grabs the resource you really wanted from the market. Plus Camels!

Also my copy of Arctic Scavengers finally arrived a few days ago and I've played a couple of games. So far only 2 play and would like to see how it handles with more than that. Its seems pretty neat so I looking forward to seeing what different approaches I can start to adopt when playing it.

Cavemen: The Quest For Fire - Filler card game that's somewhat Agricola-ish (Agricklish?). You have an open hand of cards comprising your dwelling, cavemen in your tribe, and technologies. On your turn you can hunt dinosaurs and giant mammals (with the risk of losing a card), foraging for food, or getting a new caveperson/technology (that requires a certain amount of food, money, and/or science points). First person to claim the Fire card wins. I can see this being a stepping stone to a Uwe Rosenberg game or Race For the Galaxy.

Kingsburg - Fairly standard worker placement game where you place dice you roll instead of workers. Get your resources, build your buildings, get your victory points, yadayadayada, don't let the monsters take your stuff. I guess the random mechanic does make the choices more dynamic, although I felt frustrated that so much of the game was dependent on the dice. I suspect that Village is a better version of this game.

Had anyone played Zombicide or Pandemic? Been thinking of getting one of those for our group gamenights.

My wife and I have been really enjoying Forbidden Island, a good cooperative game in which you race against the clock. We've also been playing Smash Up and its expansions, which is a great "light" deckbuilding game in which you combine 2 different factions with different play styles and try to make it work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I've played a few more games of Netrunner. I've been playing as the corporation and have only won one game out of 4. First 2 games as Jinteki, lost, 3rd game and Hans Bioroid, 1 win one loss.

I don't think so far any of my ICE has had a subroutine trigger and affect the runner! I feel I must be doing something wrong.... I usually have 2/3 ice in a agenda server and try to have money to REZ it if I need to but the runner usually just sails past. Their playing as the Sharpers.

I just bought brand new copies of Reiner Knizia's Samurai and Ystari Games' Sylla for only £10 each from one of those upmarket discount stores. I'm really quite impressed with that.

I've played a few more games of Netrunner. I've been playing as the corporation and have only won one game out of 4. First 2 games as Jinteki, lost, 3rd game and Hans Bioroid, 1 win one loss.

I don't think so far any of my ICE has had a subroutine trigger and affect the runner! I feel I must be doing something wrong.... I usually have 2/3 ice in a agenda server and try to have money to REZ it if I need to but the runner usually just sails past. Their playing as the Sharpers.

There's some discussion in a Reddit thread about this: http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/29f3lc/are_we_doing_something_wrong_with_android/

Which Corp and Runner pairs have you been playing with? The suggested Jinteki/Shaper match in the rulebook is pretty poor, because the Jinteki ice in the Core Set is poor and lacks stopping power, and Shaper have a very strong economy option in Magnum Opus.

The Runner is stronger than the Corp in the Core Set. That's partly a slight balance thing, but also because the preconstructed Corp decks are probably worse than the Runner ones. For example, Core NBN has lots of ways to apply tags but only Closed Accounts (and Psychographics) to punish them. On the other hand, Core Weyland has excellent tag punishment in the form of Scorched Earth, but very few ways to apply tags (I think Hunter might be the only way in that deck). There is a clear solution to both of those shortcomings with a little bit of deck building, but that doesn't help with the preconstructed decks.

Another issue is that Corp is, in my opinion, harder to learn to play well than Runner. The Runner has an obvious route to victory while the Corp can feel a little passive. An important concept to learn is that of scoring windows for the Corp, which is those times when the Runner doesn't have enough resources to access. Crudely put, they will pop up when the Runner has just spend a lot of credits on installing programs (etc) or making a run. The Corp player can force this by tricking the Runner into expensive runs, for example by creating a new two ice remote server and playing a card into it. If that card isn't actually an agenda, then maybe you've just tricked the runner into spending credits for no great gain and now they're too poor to get in the next time.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to play with HB as the learning Corp. It's probably the most solid deck in the Core Set and multiple bioroid ice like Ichi 1.0 and Heimdall 1.0 on the same server will be costly for the Runner to get through.

Alternatively, experiment with a little bit of deckbuilding to fix up the weaknesses in the Corp decks. If it's any consolation, in the current meta of every expansion pack released, the Corp is probably slightly ahead of the Runner, so it's not a problem which is inherent to the game system.

I played a game of Samurai and two of Sylla "today". They're quite quick and really rather good fun. We enjoyed Sylla so much in fact that we had a second game very soon after finishing the first!

@civcube

Thanks for the link. I think I'd like to try a game as all the corps just to see their cards in action and then try a pre built deck from the internet. I don't feel like I have a good enough grip of the game to build one myself from scratch!

Coup - I could play this for hours. It's so much fun to just lie about which two cards you have. "Oh, you guys both used Ambassador. What a coincidence. I also use Ambassador." And sometimes they can't call you out on it because they're afraid of losing a card. *evil laughter* I have the expansion coming my way in the next few weeks that will add a few more role cards.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game - *shrug* It's an okay little miniatures game. You use up action points to move your guys around, activate certain powers, yada yada. It is interesting that the points are set up in a certain number of chips. Once you use the 5-point chip to give yourself 5 action points, you can't use it again until you've used the other chips. The game goes quick enough that that's unlikely to happen. Apparently there's a co-op mode that's slightly stronger than the competitive mode we played. I wouldn't mind playing again.

Nations - Played this one for over three hours. We got halfway through before we realized it was 1 am and needed to sleep. It's a brutal game if you make early mistakes against experienced players. If enough military and war cards pop up, you can be up the creek without a paddle for most of the game, which isn't fun. If everyone knows what they're doing, though, it can be a tense match to balance your civ's unique power against other needs. As Persia, I was amassing my resources for the later game while Greece sped ahead in victory points--I think he had over 20 by the time we wrapped up. I managed to boost my military but it was too late. China and, er, Green (I forgot the other one) were stomped by Greece's endless war declarations, and I wasn't immune either.

Played a couple in my absence (notably Great Fire of London, Ticket to Ride: USA), but last night I played a long game of Eclipse. It's basically that cone game from Parks & Rec in space. Or a boardgame version of Master of Orion.

Actually, the recent Civilization boardgame is a great thing to compare it to. It had technological upgrades, mostly for your warships but also a few economic upgrades, it had science, production, and money sliders and plenty of things you could do on every turn. Definitely an overload kind of game, but if I can enjoy Galatica then I could probably learn enough to like this one.

Cosmic Encounter is like pizza. It doesn't matter what combination of races you'll get, you're still going to have a good time. We had five players jump in, which seems like a good number. Any less and it gets more predictable. I picked the "Mostly Harmless" human race, which adds a flat 4 to any side I ally or attack with. Of course, the others' races were far crazier. The winner's Tick Tock had a timer that counted down every time the defensive side won.

7 Wonders - What do you know, my first time playing this AND my first time playing an Antoine Bauza game. Light and breezy with just enough Euro to make you think in the second and third rounds.

I liked my first time playing 7 Wonders, even if I did accidentally sabotage myself in the second stage of building the Great Pyramid.

Battles of Westeros - Fantasy Flight slipped some Descent into Richard Borg's Commands and Colors system. In addition to the order cards, you also have leaders that function pretty much exactly like the Descent heroes, with a special power that can be used once per game. There are also specially colored tokens that can be used to move units of the same color should you not want to use an order card. I can understand the complaints about FF screwing up the design, but really, we know FF at this point. Of course they'll make Borg's thing their own by throwing in as many unnecessary mechanics as possible.

But observe as this thread unlocks the SU&SD achievement! Because I finally played The Resistance! Specifically, the Avalon version. And what. Do. You. Know. After watching itself get pushed aside for worker placements for a year, once it hit our table today, we immediately played twice more. It didn't take long for everyone's eyes to light up as they realized what kind of game they were playing.

[subbing so I can look at this thread later]

I had my first game of Priests of Ra at the weekend. We got the rules wrong initially, of course, but the game proceeded pretty satisfactorily.

Top Bottom