First Production

I find scouts are more important on multiplayer, in high level sp it's somewhat futile, but depending on map size you can go two still. I find three scouts may only be necessary for multiplayer usually, or lower level single player

I find 2 scouts plus the initial warrior to be more than enough, but I guess on a large map 3 would make sense.

On larger maps, at least two of three are usually going to get archer upgrades. That often means early CS friendships or allies, as you can take out a barb camp for them early. It can also be situational. If I have a map where there is a ton of space between me and my nearest neighbor, I might build a third Scout. If I'm Spain, I'm usually building a third scout to find wonders as fast as possible and preferably first for the gold bonuses. If you have a great start where your third Scout is only going to take three turns because of good dirt, it might be worth it.

[BR] Master;14224051 said:
Hi guys!

When you start a game, what is your first choice of production?

A settler?
A worker?
A scout?
A warrior?
Or a monument? :mischief:

Standard:

Capital: scout --> scout --> monument --> settler --> settler --> archer --> granary or library --> NC --> caravan/trade vessel
1st expo: granary --> library --> archer --> settler (settle after NC finishes)
2nd expo: granary --> (buy library) --> caravan/trade vessel

If starting very close to an aggressive Shaka, Montezuma, etc:

Capital: scout --> scout --> monument --> settler --> archer --> archer --> spearman --> NC
1st expo: library --> archer

Make a scout first. If you're going to worker steal, 3 or even 4 (wide game) is a good idea on a Pangea.

With no worker steal I wouldn't make more than 2 on a Pangea.

I think I remember Manpanzee saying his new Tradition BO is just Scout / Scout / Scout / Scout and then Settlers. I'd love to see you do that in one of your videos once, I actually think it has a ton of potential on (huge, even standard) Pangea.

Am I just crazy or does the AI never use scouts to steal workers or pillage tiles? I don't think I've ever seen a scout do that.

I don't think it's a tactic the AI knows to use, it's honestly kind of cheap of human players. Of course we do it anyway but it's still cheap.

I don't think it's a tactic the AI knows to use, it's honestly kind of cheap of human players. Of course we do it anyway but it's still cheap.

hahaha it is!!
But I still do it!
Especaly since the CS have no mean whatsoever to deny you peace... So technicaly, even if you have acces to to worker but he could easily take it back on his turn cause he could shoot with the city, an archer and finish you with a warrior for exemple because you are on a marsh tile (whatever reason), CS will simply offer you peace on a silver platter.

That a bit of a cheat... but well...

The AI doesn't declare war until it is ready to wage war. For AI-demented definitions of "ready".

Hence your impunity.

I almost always build a scout first (often 2 scouts). As others have noted, early scouting is important both to planning your strategy and to acquiring resources (ruins and CS gold/faith). The only exceptions I can think of are on an island dominated map, where a scout won't be able to accomplish much until optics, or as Ethiopia, since the Stele is a major improvement on the already important monument.

I forgot one of the most important things in my Scout compendium!

Meeting all the AIs asap is extremely important because it will give you reduced tech costs across the board, probably the single biggest advantage of meeting the AI early.

Meeting all the AIs asap is extremely important because it will give you reduced tech costs across the board, probably the single biggest advantage of meeting the AI early.

Selling resources for early gold is also a really good reason to meet as many AIs as possible early.

Many people forget that it is completely legit to sell your luxuries for less than 7GPT early game, even if it is your only copy at the moment. You won't be needing the smiles until you settle (usually turn 35 or something if Trad, a little later if Lib), so getting the early gold boost is huge. Also strategics of course. Usually half or more of my early game GPT I get just from selling Horses and Iron.

Why reduced? Because of trade routes?

Nothing to do with trade routes (although they can also be a source of beakers).

There is a small tech-cost discount for each civ (major civ, not CSs) that you have met that has already researched the tech you are currently researching. Small reward for good exploring.

Top Bottom