Nuclear warfare

legonerfdude

Chieftain
Is there any mods out there that buff nukes and make the consequences of full out nuclear war what the really are? Like making it more realistic.

On a second level they really need to do better with nuclear warfare in CiVI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuclear Bombs (and Missiles) are already way too strong in the base game. So strong infact that the most popular multiplayer mod just completely gets rid of the Bombs and only allows the Missiles. If you think they need to be "better" you are using them wrong. With XCom and Atomic Bombs any game can be won in the matter of 10 or 20 turns. They don't just kill units, they also produce fallout, cut cities down and using two Bombs in the same turn can just completely vanish a city with all defense buildings, six Stealth Bombers and a garrisoned unit in it. They're insanely powerful, especially against the AI because they generally don't move aircrafts or their armies because of a nuclear threat.

For a nuke to wipe out a city, it must reduce it's population first, if the population of the city is nearing zero, you're in trouble.

But this occasionally results into zombie cities. Basically its most awesome thing I've ever seen in Civ5. I can't remember how I triggered zombie cities but uh,

Probably a combination of a city getting hit by nuke while it's resisting your rule and you're razing it. So, a zombie city.. 30 pop, I conquer it. 15 pop. Nuked, 7 or 8 pop, and I'm razing or trying to annex it/puppet so it still has 15 turns of resistance down to 14.

Population of the city is shrinking fast, the solid ones that's still visible will be in the center with ghostly buildings surrounding it and fires raging everywhere. They're freaking transparent. It will continue to retain it's maximum size like the size 30 or 15's appearance on map but it's pop number will be at 8. Parts of the city becoming ghosts is transparent because people is technically alive because they're still resisting your rule with 14 turns left.

If you're razing, it will be eventually gone. I can't remember if it'll be gone after 8 turns or 14 turns. But, its very very awesome sight to me. Maybe if i remember i'll take a screenshot next time if there's an actually powerful AI, they're far and few because AI tend to not do well.

Seeing ghost cities is more than enough reason to have nukes. lol

It's difficult to simulate mutual assured destruction in a turn-based game. Whoever launches first is going to get first-strike ability. The only way to do it would be an automatic nuclear response where if you hit another nuclear-armed Civ with your nukes, their response can't be pre-empted by your attacks.

Building on SoonerJBD's post all nukes should have a special unit action akin to fighter unit's 'intercept'. It could simply be called 'Retaliation'. Allowing nukes to be used out of the player's turn as a direct response to an opponents attack with nukes.

Is there already a mod for this? It would be good for Civ6.

In civ 2 (and 3 I believe), if you used a lot of nukes the planet would change. Plains would become desert, grassland and forest would become swamp, etc. Does this happen in 5 also? I never played an all out nuke war, usually I am the one using the nukes, and the only reason is to save some turns for a DomV. If not, this would be an interesting feature to simulate something like a nuclear winter.

In civ 2 (and 3 I believe), if you used a lot of nukes the planet would change. Plains would become desert, grassland and forest would become swamp, etc. Does this happen in 5 also? I never played an all out nuke war, usually I am the one using the nukes, and the only reason is to save some turns for a DomV. If not, this would be an interesting feature to simulate something like a nuclear winter.

I think it was called global warming and was also caused by factories etc.

I miss some of those mechanics from earilier games.

That is so incredibly advanced for such an old game. I really need to give Civ II/III a try.

No, that mechanic is not in Civ V. That was such an interesting mechanic from Civ II (I skipped III and IV so I don't know what they had), I was disappointed when I got Civ V to find out that pollution as a mechanic was no longer in the Civilization series. The only thing that V has is the fallout from using a nuke, but II you could get pollution from factories, power plants, etc. The advantage of a solar plant in V is not having to use your precious uranium for that electricity, but the advantage of a solar plant in II was eliminating pollution from your power plants. Recycling centers in V just give you aluminum, but in II they actually reduced pollution.

Who IRL actually recycles thinking, "I want to recycle so that our nation will have extra aluminum to build more stealth bombers" anyway? :lol:

Most importantly, I think that pollution would have been a great mechanic in V because then there would be good reason to keep your workers around, even after having completed your railroad network. As it is, I feel it's kind of silly that optimal play is to disband your workers in the modern era. The threat of global warming and tile transformation would have been a bonus. (Maybe that mechanic was unfortunately "controversial" to certain players who were climate change skeptics?)

Nukes and facitories in Civ III made pollution, although nukes made a ton more of it. You could clean it up with workers. I believe nuclear plants could aso meltdown, leaving similar pollution to a nuke.

I just think they should make nuclear warfare more realistic in civ. 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would make it more realistic? The first player to build them can drop two pony nukes, after which others can build and stockpile them but no one uses them?

Actually, that's pretty much how my games go (except for the part about someone dropping the first two -- 99% of games, no nukes at all).

fyar, Civ3 only had pollution and then Civ4 only had global warming. I hated the pollution, so much work but liked the global warming. It made things.. interesting. U could lose your cities to the rising oceans.

I hated the pollution, so much work but liked the global warming. It made things.. interesting. U could lose your cities to the rising oceans.

that does sound rad! Really wish Civ had more ways to conduct covert war. Civ2 & 4 had a few ways like privateers. Would love more like that.

that does sound rad! Really wish Civ had more ways to conduct covert war. Civ2 & 4 had a few ways like privateers. Would love more like that.

Are you man enough to lose your capital which is your production center? Along with some wonders in it? To the rising oceans? :lol:

And there's nothing in Civ4 you can build to combat the rising oceans short of placing an embargo on nukes and crushing other AIs to limit the amount of factories that get built.

I've had plenty of my lands turning into desert but the infrastructure get built onto the tiles before the desertification stays in place. This meant funny things like operational farms in deserts. lol

In civ 5 it would mean that you can pillage cargo ships so that would be very OP.

I despise Nukes and would sometimes rage quit a game when I get nuked. I always vote for non-nuclear proliferation in the UN just to get them removed. I had one game where I was DoW'd and on the very first turn of the DoW they nuked three of my four cities - the rage was strong I can tell ya!!

I agree with Browd, not sure how realistic you can make nuclear warfare seeing as nukes have only ever been used once in war so what defines realism for you? Are you hoping for a post-apocalytic 'Fallout' style landscape with Ghouls and Supermutants?

I never ever got nuked by the AI even on deity. The opposite though is not true :)

It rarely happens but in this one game I got hit three times - believe me, I was as shocked as anybody as the AI rarely ever uses them. But it was so annoying as I had these nice tall cities and they were laid waste.

Top Bottom