Final Frontier

yep, best BTS mod. but it need to be improved in few things ;) I will wait for patch :)

I only played the demo for now, since I don't have BtS yet, but really liked it.
I have the feeling that the scenarios are going quite far this time!
I have played 3 - 2 I liked - Final frontier and Crossroads, and 1 I didn't like - The FFH one. I am probably going to play the 2 I liked again before I play any of the others. I might even go to multiplayer and see if I can find a FF game there. Not sure if it is MP though.

Yes, I too like this Mod very much.
I truly shows new heights on 'modability' (is that a word? ;) ) for Civ4.

But as MusX pointed out there are still a few kinks in there, e.g. the AI doesn't use any stealth ships, and is totally hapless when my Stealth ships wreck havoc on their supply lines, attack construction ships etc.

It also is quite passive when getting attacked; I recently knocked on a neighboring AI's door with my fleet and almost withdrew when I saw their amount of Anti-Ship missiles in the system. But then I thought, ah what the heck, let's try. Well, I took the system without them firing a single one of those missiles... And I don't think there's many strategies that could explain that as a good thing.

The other quite annoying thing are the constant sneak attacks of Barbarian ships somewhere on your supply routes. As tame as the opponents are on this (see above), the constant flood of Pirates forces you to secure and patrol each sector of your empire.
I would suggest adding a better visibility range to Scouts or Patrol ships, it would help to make it less tedious.

But again, the Mod is a GREAT start, and I can only begin to imagine what some Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, etc. fans could mod into it... :cheers:

Yes, I too like this Mod very much.
I truly shows new heights on 'modability' (is that a word? ;) ) for Civ4.

But as MusX pointed out there are still a few kinks in there, e.g. the AI doesn't use any stealth ships, and is totally hapless when my Stealth ships wreck havoc on their supply lines, attack construction ships etc.

It also is quite passive when getting attacked; I recently knocked on a neighboring AI's door with my fleet and almost withdrew when I saw their amount of Anti-Ship missiles in the system. But then I thought, ah what the heck, let's try. Well, I took the system without them firing a single one of those missiles... And I don't think there's many strategies that could explain that as a good thing.

The other quite annoying thing are the constant sneak attacks of Barbarian ships somewhere on your supply routes. As tame as the opponents are on this (see above), the constant flood of Pirates forces you to secure and patrol each sector of your empire.
I would suggest adding a better visibility range to Scouts or Patrol ships, it would help to make it less tedious.

But again, the Mod is a GREAT start, and I can only begin to imagine what some Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, etc. fans could mod into it... :cheers:
In my current game I have had 2 scout ships attacked and destroyed by stealth ships - not sure if they are pirate or AI Civ tho because it doesn't tell you nationality.

I have played 3 - 2 I liked - Final frontier and Crossroads, and 1 I didn't like - The FFH one. I am probably going to play the 2 I liked again before I play any of the others. I might even go to multiplayer and see if I can find a FF game there. Not sure if it is MP though.
I might try the Old Gods one though - it looks good.

Still poking around in this mod - looks interesting, but there are some things that a manual would help with greatly.

A few questions:

1. What determines the cost involved with building duplicate buildings on additional planets? I noticed there appears to be an additional cost for building the same building more than once in a system, is there a way to find out what that cost is?

2. Is there a way to determine the potential productivity of a system before settling in it?

1. What determines the cost involved with building duplicate buildings on additional planets? I noticed there appears to be an additional cost for building the same building more than once in a system, is there a way to find out what that cost is?
Most Buildings cost increase parallels the number of Buildings already there. For example, if a Library costs 40 production, the second you build will be 80, the third will be 120, and so on. Some Buildings' cost ramps up more quickly though (Factories, Training Compounds and Manufacturing Plants). Theirs would rise twice as fast, e.g. 40, 120, 200.

2. Is there a way to determine the potential productivity of a system before settling in it?
Not right now, but it's something I'm adding for the next patch.

By the way, if anyone has any feedback on what to improve/fix please post in the thread in my signature so I can keep track of it all. :)

Jon

Still poking around in this mod - looks interesting, but there are some things that a manual would help with greatly.

A few questions:

Both very good questions, I haven't even noticed the first one.

Jon Shafer posted somewhere on the productivity of a system, and that the sun's color should be telling, but that this part hadn't been documented yet.
I totally agree with you, right now it's a bit tedious to check each planet in a system and then try to compare it to another system.

The way I play it, which might be totally wrong..., is to take any available system, the closer the better. There's far less systems in FF than cities in 'normal' play, so you run out pretty fast in my experience...

Both very good questions, I haven't even noticed the first one.

Jon Shafer posted somewhere on the productivity of a system, and that the sun's color should be telling, but that this part hadn't been documented yet.
I totally agree with, right now it's a bit tedious to check each planet in a system and then try to compare it to another system.

The way I play it, which might be totally wrong..., is to take any available system, the closer the better. There's far less systems in FF than cities in 'normal' play, so you run out pretty fast in my experience...

See this post for a list of the various planet types.

I think they should publish Final Frontier as a full game and have scenarios included within it - also different types of maps - like a Galactic arm with a cluster of stars off it, etc. I have played the Galactic II game and I was bored - this does not bore me.

I found a walkthrough that might be helpful. This was actually given to me by one of the interested parties in a Final Frontiers pbem that I am about to set up.

Right now we have 4 people to be made into 2 V 2. My only big interest is some sort of teams, so if more people wanted to join we could do a 3 V 3 or a 2 V 2 V 2, etc.

It is nice - and I hadn't yet figured out that planets were different. :)

Edited to add below text:

I'm really excited about the pbem I hope to start and would really like to have 3 or 4 two player teams rather than the 2 that are ready to go now. I'm going to start the game on 10 August, so there is plenty of time to join. Thank you for considering my pbem!

I will consider the PBEM - other ones I played when Civ 4 first came out ended up bogging down due to people not taking turns properly.
On my current and first FF game - I just started the galactic UN wonder and was immediately attacked by 2 civs - however My side = myself, my Ally that I had a defense pact with and my Vassal against the 2. My Vassal is hopeless - 1 system, However my ally and myself are the number 1 and 2 most powerful and largest Civs in this game. Saved it at the beginning of the war - will play it out when more awake.

After having beaten the Charlemagne scenario (which was ok-ish) I decided to try this one. I can honestly say that I'm blown away! :eek:

Thank you Jon Shafer! The graphics of the systems and stellar objects is just amazing. I just find it very pleasing to play a game of Civilization that is nothing like I've played before. It blows Alpha Centauri out of the water in terms of believable technologies. :goodjob:

As an aside, did anyone else notice the little homage to Battlestar Galactica? In the Military Academies technology, the quote is attributed to a 'Admiral Aadesh Doma'. Nice.

Very nice mod! The graphics are great -- not just the leaders, but also the thingies that make warp lanes, the planets orbiting stars, the ships. Well done!

One question. I have oodles of resources around me, but none is anywhere close to any of my systems, even my most influential ones. Is there any way to grab resources other than expanding your influence over them? Can you build some sort of starbase on them?

Top Bottom