Easiest/hardest map type

Hardest map to play?

• Total voters

Sessy

Prince
What do you think is the easiest map type to play, and what would be the hardest map to play?
It depends on the civ quite a lot (polynesia, indonesia, england come to mind), but in the general sense, for all civs, under the same standard settings, what would you think is easier/harder?

Definitely depends on the VC:
For a peaceful game Continents or Small Continents.
For a militaristic game Pangaea or Fractal (if it turns out to be a 1 continent map)

Why are Continents Plus and Pangaea Plus on the poll? The only difference is that most of the CSs are placed on islands off of the continental area.

Still, for the purpose of it I'd vote Pangaea since on Continents, S. Continents and Fractal dealing with a runaway AI is harder.

Hardest:
Archipelago, unless you are Polynesia you probably have to detour to Optics fairly early which will delay getting to Education.
Easiest:
Pangaea, as a heavy Spain player I want to discover at least 2 NW first and I don't want to research Optics for that. Also you meet everyone quickly thus hastening your research on techs they know.

It really depends on who you are and what is your goal.

If you are experienced deity player and aim for fast finish times the easiest is Pangea type map.

However if you are beginner to game and your goal is just win, the easiest is archipelago/small continents (if no opponents on your continent) where you can easy turtle to 400T science victory ;)

EDIT: Just realised the question is about the hardest not easiest map type - in this case it will be conversely. :)

Don't get the Archipelago votes. The AI is rubbish at sea warfare and will never attack you, so the more water there is on a map, the easier it.

So I initially thought Pangaea + (which is harder than Pangaea because you don't get CS bonuses until the midgame), but actually Earth is the hardest, because the map is very poorly made, with areas that are pretty much unplayable (eg South America).

I've only played Continents and Earth and I can Continents seems more balanced. You can still land in a decently-sized Continent if you're a more land-based Civ while at the same time, there's still enough water for everyone. I mostly play against Random Leaders and I want the map to be suitable to most Civs.

Earth map, like the above reply has an almost unusable S.America. It's fun though if you manage to get both Suez and Panama.

I still don't have the heart to play Pangea, heard it can be quite violent from the very beginning of the game.

Don't get the Archipelago votes. The AI is rubbish at sea warfare and will never attack you, so the more water there is on a map, the easier it.

So I initially thought Pangaea + (which is harder than Pangaea because you don't get CS bonuses until the midgame)...

I agree with the above. I voted pangaea plus because I don't think I've ever played an Earth map. Pangaea are just hard because you are almost always forward settling on someone and I never feel safe. The Plus part does make it harder too.

Actually, it depends on your civ.

But in overall, Archipelago is harder for most of factions.

I say archipelago is the easiest, I find naval warfare super easy, the AI is terrible at it.

Hardest I was stuck between pangaea and continents. Voted continents since you can get a runaway AI(Korea) and have a tough time stopping him being on different continents especially if he's capital isn't coastal. Whereas Pangaea there are plenty of opportunities to keep the AI fighting each other however more chances of getting attacked as well.

Archipelago is quite easy most of the time, because you will rarely be attacked, there's not much land coveting and you can just pretty much turtle up and win any way you want

hardest would be whatever map that's generated a bit iffy to unbalance everything, I'm going to assume Earth maps would be a bit of a doozy, but I've yet to play one

Is there an Inland Sea ma type in BNW? That map type is absolutely brutal in G&K.

Yes there is, but I haven't played it in BNW. How is it brutal in G&K, or is it just because the AI is much more aggressive in GK?

Tiny Islands is the hardest, but it is also the hardest for them. I like Pangaea's easiness the most, because you have multiple options for rushing and you can blow off the naval techs.

Tiny Islands is the hardest, but it is also the hardest for them. I like Pangaea's easiness the most, because you have multiple options for rushing and you can blow off the naval techs.

That's funny - I think that's what makes Pangea more difficult. The naval techs are all on the way to science milestones (astronomy yields both a leap in naval tech and science in one go). I find Pangea requires more finesse because you have to decide when to dip into the lower half of the tree to keep from getting walloped. On high difficulty settings, I find I can survive a water map much more easily than a land one. Naval units play much more flexibly than land zergs and it's to the human's advantage whenever flexibility is required. For out and out ease of play, I'd say that fractal takes the cake. Your map will be a long snaky Pangea. You bottle up two ends of your little four-or-five city empire, and remain untouchable as you diplo or space out to the victory screen.

Leading question in OP contradicts title of poll, but I voted with poll title. I don’t understand all the votes for Pangaea as hardest. (1) Players value Pangaea for consistent experience and fewest turns to victory. (2) Pangaea Plus is obviously harder than regular Pangaea.

I think this poll demonstrates that poll results are rubbish!

Is there consensus that, assuming you get to pick your civ, that archipelago is easiest? Myself, I am looking for some deity-lite setup options!

I didn't want to post 2 polls or let people rank it, but I do like to see people's general opinion of map types and the affect that it has on the game style and victory conditions. Plus you can see who voted for what, and from what I see some of the more peaceful players generally think pangaea is harder(maybe because of warmongers being closer). Of course the plus maps are generally harder because you don't tend to get city state gold early.

Personally I think continents plus is the hardest, very few city states to steal from work with and hard to stop a runaway on the other continent if you don't clear yours.

Easiest:
Pangaea. You can always find a good CB rush target, and can find and finish off your opponents with great speed. Your religion can spread easily.

Hardest:
Pangaea. You can find yourself trapped between two warmongers and beaten into much pain. You can find yourself without a coast for coastal trade routes. You can find yourself swamped by opposing religions.

Personally I think continents plus is the hardest, very few city states to steal from work with and hard to stop a runaway on the other continent if you don't clear yours.

That is how I voted, for the very reasons you give. Also, it was what I was playing on Immortal. So Sessy, what map type do you think is easiest?

Top Bottom