Sci Fi show uses Civilization for one of its stories?

Socratatus

Emperor
I was watching an episode of Stargate Atlantis today out of boredom. I`m not really a fan as I find the stories are a very predictable formula...

But then I watched one episode called `The Game`. It was about 2 guys of the regular team who find an Atlantis computer and start playing a game that`s very much like Civilization. They have to mine resources and trade etc. They play it for quite a while setting up their options and how the people look and one even had his face plastered in the game as the `benevolent` ruler.

Then, after a while they find out that the Civs are REAL and have to go to the planet and deal with all the hassle of trying to make peace with two Civs that totally hate eachother because of them and want war!

I thought it was a pretty funny watching the two main guys argue about trading Citrus fruits and cheating! Cool episode. :goodjob:

wow, no responses! I guess not even Civ players have seen this episode or watch Stargate Atlantis for that matter!:dubious: :confused::mischief:

I remember the episode. It was funny, and you pretty much captured it in your OP.

Well that`s a plus! :)

It`s not often you see a tv series use a game for one of its ideas, seemed it should get a mention. :)

I couldn't comment since I haven't watched any part of Stargate, but I do love the premise. Sounds like it could have been a Star Trek episode too. Or The Twilight Zone. :D

I couldn't comment since I haven't watched any part of Stargate, but I do love the premise. Sounds like it could have been a Star Trek episode too. Or The Twilight Zone. :D

It could have been a StarTrek episode easily.

I guess that`s why I don`t watch Stargate or any of that stuff much because much of it is Startrek but with a different theme, and most of the ideas have been done in that. Also Startrek feels more plausible than Stargate. This is what I mean about a predictable formula- I can tell you how every Stargate episode will end with a very few exceptions. I`m working my way through series 3 and there`s not much to shout about.

I think Stargate was one of these movies which was good, but didn't need to have a sequel or spinoff TV series(es). Another example of this is Highlander. Unfortunately, if a movie is successful, Hollywood often tries to turn it into a continuing franchise whether there is more story to tell or not.

I think Stargate was one of these movies which was good, but didn't need to have a sequel or spinoff TV series(es). Another example of this is Highlander. Unfortunately, if a movie is successful, Hollywood often tries to turn it into a continuing franchise whether there is more story to tell or not.

It went on for 10 seasons and was extremely popular. They made the right choice in making it a continuing franchise.

It went on for 10 seasons and was extremely popular. They made the right choice in making it a continuing franchise.

Just because it was popular doesn`t necessarily mean it was good. I know I stopped watching Stargate a long time ago as it was so predictable and boring.

Atlantis a good show with some great episodes, I always enjoyed it.

And yes, this episode was very good!

Top Bottom