England the new best Civ?

A minor point is that its mainly early melee which stinks if I read it right, and well they were bad in vanilla and are definitely more powerful against cities. With siege being so necessary against walled cities coastal cities with less room for siege can be annoying. Melee ships can play a decent support role there and become much stronger later.

As far as the new ranged units (land), is anyone else still sort of confused as to what to do with them? They are weaker than melee, but basically have to move into melee range to hit enemies which leaves them open to attacks that a melee unit could better handle. Why not use a melee? Of course you if you can surround with the range that is fine, but that is an ideal situation. The only big use I can find for them is helping in taking cities as they can help wear it down without being attacked. Just bring 1 or 2 infantry along and let your arty and guns wear the city down. Unfortunately the guns are so weak (compared to infantry) that they get killed pretty easily.

I don't know how much this would change the game, but I think gatling guns and machine guns should keep the 2 range. If this happened and the british range upgrade still transferred we might have problems, but that is easily correctable. Thought on this, or am I just using these units in the wrong way?

Edit: I guess I should note the weakness mainly applies to the gatling gun. The gatling works ok with riflemen, but once the great war infantry are out, it started to get outperformed. The machine gun is more balanced with the infantry in my opinion.

Great War Infantry comes an era later than Gatling Guns, of course Gatlings get outperformed at that point in time.

How hard is it now to take a city in a very foresty/hilly area early game? I'd imagine with the increased need to siege it would be incredibly hard.

Cities in rough terrain are really hard to take. It took me over ten turns to take a size 6, wall less Polynesian city withonly a maori and composite bowman in support. He went tradition though.

4 African Forest Elephants 3 catapults and reinforcments were barely enoguh. Lost multiple units and multiple survivors were badly damaged.

Top Bottom