Adjusted UA's for BNW- No New UU's

caiman: You could certainly do this, but it is actually the reverse (from a flavor perspective) of Manifest Destiny, which in effect was a huge land grab.

There's also the Monroe Doctrine to consider...

Finally, from a gameplay perspective, I am not sure if that actually solves the 'early game issue' which is at the core of America's concerns.

The problem isn't so much an 'early game issue' as a 'tangible effect' issue. You can't deny cheaper tiles and extra sight is useful, especially in the early game, but you can't base a strategy at all over those bonuses. The basest problem is not that America's UA is an 'early game issue', so much that it is a short-lived 'early game focused' UA. Again, it feels like two tacked on effects of two better UA's merged into one completely aimless UA. Let them buy tiles, whether through a steep price of gold or through Tourism, or some other flavorful bonus. Give them a main bonus that feels like an actual 'main bonus'.

The proposed changes listed have moved from simple (as the original intent of the thread stated) to extremely complex overhauls of civs.

So in the spirit of simplistic changes:

America - Manifest Destiny - All land unit receive +1 sight, 50% discount on tile costs, receives double the tourism bonus from placed diplomats.
(Just gains a bonus from the new mechanics, like England's G&K bonus spy)

Germany - Furor Teutonicus - Upon defeating a Barbarian unit inside an encampment earn 25 Gold, +10 science to the current project, and they join your side. Pay 25% less for land unit maintenance.
(I really just don't care for the randomness of the German perk... so this makes it 100% and adds a small science bonus too)

America - All land units receive +1 Sight, 50% discount on tile costs, scouts ignore closed borders and receive melee promotions, they may be upgraded to Minutemen when the appropriate tech is researched. Settlers may move onto any square occupied by an American scout.

I think someone said this before, but America should be able to have 4 tile radius cities. I believe it fits with the Manifest Destiny concept perfectly well, and make America a nice foil to the Shoshone in terms of expansion. Shoshone get that extra land early, America later. To prevent it from being OP, the 4th tiles should be considerably more expensive (not even buyable?), both in gold and culture cost.

TL;DR form:
America - All land units receive +1 Sight, 50% discount on tile costs, Cities can expand up to 4 tiles

Perhaps this topic is where I saw discussion. Not sure, but I know somewhere I saw people discussing bad traits and how they could be improved.

I made a mod that replaces America's Manifest Destiny with something good instead.
Looking at the discussion here, especially on America and how to change its trait, I think this might be relevant.

Sea to Shining Sea is the new trait, and it gives 2 culture per city until Steam Power, then 2 Tourism after. I may change this in future versions to be Railroad instead of Steam Power, or maybe another technology. I used Steam Power because France's old trait did and it made enough sense.

Basically, the idea behind the trait is that America is a land of immigrants from many cultures, but it has still created a culture all its own, one that dominates most of the real world. A trait that reflects this makes sense for Civ. So for most of the game, America will be forming its culture (culture bonus), then it will be sharing (forcing) its culture with the rest of the world (tourism bonus).

I like America having a 4 tile workable tile radius but perhaps the UA could be expanded even further to allow buying of tiles from other civs with a Great Merchant? The money would go to the civ with its land bought. Might be OP but the civ with the land bought would get 2000 gold or so so may be able to buy an army to take it back - or bribe the World Congress to embargo America.

RE: Germany, I like the idea of the UA giving +production for every XP building but I still think there should be some element to barb play with them aswell.

Top Bottom