1 Unit per Tile Rule

Do you like the possibility of a 1 unit per tile rule in Civ5?

• Total voters

Matt0088

Deity
I've been pretty vocal against a 1 unit per tile rule, but what are your thoughts on the subject? It seems we have good amount of people on either side, and love or hate it, it's a interesting feature for Civ5 to possibly include.:)

interesting, but that would make it hell to form an army.

I don't see how rushing to judgment is a good idea.

I don't think that there will be one. The units were probably spread out on the screenshots so you could get a better look at them. I'd be content with a unit limit on each tile, but I'd want it to be in the range of 3-5 units rather than 1.

It depends on how many units a city can host.

I don't see how rushing to judgment is a good idea.

It's pretty simple: just ask yourself how would you do this if you were to make the game.
Personally I do not like the idea of one unit per tile. I think it would be better to have a limit based on terrain type: 1 for desert, ice, marsh and mountains, two for hills and forests, three for plains, grassland, floodplains and cities regardless of terrain.

Personally, I don't care what happens. If no SODs are allowed it just involves more strategy to defeat your opponents.

A judgement is absolutely not possible at the moment as we do not know what the unit system is like in civ5. You all assume it is similar to Civ4 and I must agree that a one-unit would make no sense at all in this system. However there can be a "armies&garrisons"-system, a mixed-unit system or perhaps one-unit per tile means some sort of zone-of-control. I don't know. Let's :coffee:

I trust Sid Meier and Firaxis to create a system that runs smooth and works fine, whichever way they go. Both ways have their pros and cons, and I trust Firaxis to work around the bad and emphasize the good of whichever they choose.

I would like to see units lose health if too many are stacked together, esp. on unhealthy or barren terrain (i.e. desert, jungle tundra). Also, sort of related, I think at least some units should be able to go over mountains, but risk major loss of health and possibly life. But back to the main topic, I definitely don't think there should be an actual cap on unit stacks, just penalties.

If you combine limitless units per tile with ranged bombardment, then you can create such large stacks of ranged attackers that you can completely annihilate enemies from a distance during your own turn. Limitless units per tile automatically makes massing ranged bombardment units the way to go. So you will need some limit of units per tile or some other limitation to ranged bombardment.

I'd personally go for a system where the number of units per tile is increased with certain technologies and I'd pick technologies that improve the logistical capabilities of a civilisation to have such an effect.

A nice result of a limit of units per tile is that it will move the focus of wars away from cities. As you need more terrain to position all of your units, you cannot just position them all in one tile: the city centre. So you'll automatically get some form of front lines which shift from turn to turn.

By the way, is the one unit per tile confirmed somewhere?

I'll have to see it in action before I pass judgment. SoD syndrome has been a problem for a long time, Civ4's intended solution of collateral damage just compounded the problem as you needed to get a big enough stack to prevent the collateral from hitting every unit.

I assume aggressive military action will be more difficult in this game due to this. Makes sense that conquest was changed to capital only if this is the case.

Wow, poll is pretty balanced so far. 1/5th don't care and the remaining is split in two.

Personally, I doubt unit stacking is going to be completely out. It just wouldn't make any sense from a game-play perspective to do things like that. Stacks might be more limited, but I really can't see them being out for good. If they are, either attacking or defending a city is going to be ridiculously hard (depending on whether or not units can stack in a city).

The problem with one unit per tile rule is that it makes siege units vulnerable, as bringing them next to the city would leave them open for a counterattack. It can be avoided by giving them range greater than one tile, but that results in catapults becoming laser guided missile launchers.

1 unit per tile is very much like what existed in Civ and civ 2. From a defender's point of view, having several units in one tile was suicidal. Except, and that's a big exception, in cities. I wonder whether the one unit per tile limit will be valid in cities too.
In Panzer General and other similar games (fantasy general, battle for wesnoth, elven legacy...), the limit is not an issue, it makes the game more challenging tactically, although sometimes you can have issues maneuvering your troops through chokepoints.

I think a better idea would be, a one unit per branch limit on a tile. That way you can still have catapults, and air support and whatnot. Or your infantry would still be able to travel with tanks....

There are DOZENS of ways to pull off a one unit per tile system that would work quite well, and myriad thousands that would be horrible. Till we know precisely how they have done it, we have to assume that they grabbed one of the reasonable dozens, and hope they found the best one.

Heck, we don't even know if a unit needs to move into the same tile as an enemy to engage in battle. Maybe you just declare battle and you plus all units in tiles adjacent to yourself participate. Thus combined Arms would be performed naturally, without needing additional units per tile. Cities may have their own defensive fortifications via buildings, and thus no units are EVER allowed to exist within them, the city itself is a "unit" for purposes of defense.

I hated the way you could include every unit type in a stack and be guaranteed a favorable defender.

Wars were bus trips from one city to another.

Catapults next to a city too vulnerable? Give them a firing range of 2 hexes. Solved

Having played the Panzer General series alot, and also Fantasy General I'm pleased by the change in focus. I just hope that the number of units don't overwhelm the map but I'm sure they will do a good job.

Top Bottom