155 things you didn't know until Civ5 taught you

NoAnswer

See You Space Cowboy...
Well, since this hasn't been done, it absolutely must be! And the number is 155 in honor of the great V in the game title.

1. Ancient roads required such frequent repair that their maintenance cost per hex was as much as that of entire buildings.

2. The great Genghis Khan knew that the best way to take a city is to send a single catapult ahead with two spearmen trailing behind.

3. Way before construction and mathematics, in fact, even before archery was discovered, even the smallest towns were able to bombard enemies as far as two tiles with huge rocks every single turn!

4. Soldiers wielding ranged weapons of any kind were not fit to capture enemy workers.

5. Men standing on a chariot with bows have a greater firing range than infrantrymen with modern rifles. In fact, rifles or firearms of any kind aren't actually ranged weapons at all!

6. Napoleon thought a garrisoned catapult unit was super ineffective in face of an oncoming siege army, so it was best to send it out towards them instead.

7. Whales trading for gold, furs, cotton, gems, 23 gold per turn, and open borders was a fair trade in the year 100 AD.

8. Medieval cavalry units, i.e. knights, never required iron in order to be outfitted with weapons and heavy armor.

9. Clothed riflemen were MUCH more resistant to arrows and bombardment than longswordsmen fully clad in heavy steel.

10. We were wrong all along. There were, in fact, and never have been, religions.

11. The most sophisticated modern military units were incapable of passing mountains, even though renaissance scientists could easily build large observatories on them.

12. Fighting scattered barbarian units in the dark ages often led to the emergence of a great general who would know how to improve the effectiveness of entire armies in wars between large civilizations using sophisticated weaponry.

13. Many ancient era axe-wielding warriors also doubled as medics.

14. American land units have really, really good eyes.

15. The Statue of Liberty would have taken significantly longer to build if it hadn't been for access to a nearby marble resource.

16. A common tradition of militaries throughout history that historians clearly overlooked was making use of their ability to use combat experience in order to instantly revive 90% of the fallen men in their unit.

17. After a couple hours playing Civilization, your inner voice actually says "I wonder what's on televison" rather than "One more turn..."

Wow, another one of these useless threads.

Seriously, i suggest You to imagine, that all Your points are implemented in game. Let's go further, whole real life through 6000 years is perfectly implemented. What a boring game would it be...

Games *need* to be a bit simplified, have weird rules, so they're *playable* - it's called game design

Now go to play civ4 and make list of flaws there, because there will be many, when You will do it with the same logic.

18. Hitler was extremely stupid: he just needed a couple of archer units to bombard the heck out of southern England to death across the English Channel instead of all those silly fighters and bombers.

Well, since this hasn't been done, it absolutely must be! And the number is 155 in honor of the great V in the game title.

Great. Another spam "I hate Civ5" thread.

1. Ancient roads required such frequent repair that their maintenance cost per hex was as much as that of entire buildings.
Maybe ancient buildings were just built so well that their maintenance cost was as cheap as ancient roads?

2. The great Genghis Khan knew that the best way to take a city is to send a single catapult ahead with two spearmen trailing behind.
It's nice to see that you've noticed the same crappy combat AI that has been around since Civ2.

3. Way before construction and mathematics, in fact, even before archery was discovered, even the smallest towns were able to bombard enemies as far as two tiles with huge rocks every single turn!
I'm sure someone could come up with a better animation for you, since the issue is entirely cosmetic. They could use arrows. Or, if you'd prefer, throw rocks or hurl cows?

4. Soldiers wielding ranged weapons of any kind were not fit to capture enemy workers.
Soldiers wielding ranged weapons generally weren't used to capture POW's or perform CQC of any kind... because they were wielding ranged weapons. Seriously, why bring a bow to a shovel fight?

5. Men standing on a chariot with bows have a greater firing range than infrantrymen with modern rifles. In fact, rifles or firearms of any kind aren't actually ranged weapons at all!
"Men on horses aren't faster than men on foot." "I don't like that certain units have unique abilities."

6. Napoleon thought a garrisoned catapult unit was super ineffective in face of an oncoming siege army, so it was best to send it out towards them instead.
"... crappy combat AI that has been around since Civ2."

7. Whales trading for gold, furs, cotton, gems, 23 gold per turn, and open borders was a fair trade in the year 100 AD.
Maybe they just really like whales? Or maybe the AI is trying to buy your affection?

8. Medieval cavalry units, i.e. knights, never required iron in order to be outfitted with weapons and heavy armor.
Because just requiring horses isn't good enough. I want to have even less resources to build units with.

9. Clothed riflemen were MUCH more resistant to arrows and bombardment than longswordsmen fully clad in heavy steel.
This is the worst one, because it shows you don't know what you are talking about. Musketmen replaced archers due to a better cost-effect ratio, and Rifles were the next step forward in firearms technology. This is like comparing a Trebuchet to WWII Era Artillery.

Also, arrows are quite effective at piercing several types of armor. Plate was the most effective at stopping this, but it had to be heavy (and thus, expensive) to provide adequate protection. However, that considered, a Swordsman also has to get close to you to hurt you; who do you think would win a fight that started at 1000 yards? The guy who has to run across it wearing 100lbs of armor and carrying a broadsword, or the guy wearing leather and carrying a bow? How about between a man with a rifle, who can fire straight down the sights, or a man with a bow who has to aim into the air?

The reason the Rifleman wears cloth armor... is because plate/leather/chain armor is obsolete. It doesn't matter what you are wearing, if they hit you... they hit you- and this has remained a fact even today, where body-armor doesn't always protect you from ballistics.

As far as the bombardment goes, I fail to see your point? If you are wearing 100lbs of metal, and looking at the world through a hole, then someone starts hurling rocks at you... you aren't going to be able to move as quickly as someone wearing clothes... so you aren't going to be able to move out of the way. You act like everyone was just standing there getting hit with catapults, and the concept of "get out of the way" hadn't been invented yet.

10. We were wrong all along. There were, in fact, and never have been, religions.
QQ

11. The most sophisticated modern military units were incapable of passing mountains, even though renaissance scientists could easily build large observatories on them.
There are several mountains in the world that are simply impractical to climb for military reasons. The vast majority of military units would rather go around Mt. Everest than try to climb over it.

12. Fighting scattered barbarian units in the dark ages often led to the emergence of a great general who would know how to improve the effectiveness of entire armies in wars between large civilizations using sophisticated weaponry.
Individual military doctrines are often honed over multiple engagements with military units of varying sizes. This fact holds true to this day.

13. Many ancient era axe-wielding warriors also doubled as medics.
As does every single member of the U.S. armed services, to some extent; part of the recurring training involves first-aid that includes (but is not limited to) treatment of upper-chest wounds, field lung-inflation, proper application of a turnakit, and the issued materials to perform field-cauterization, wound sanitation, and so on.

14. American land units have really, really good eyes.
And the other countries don't have ridiculous, or (dare I say it?) unique traits.

15. The Statue of Liberty would have taken significantly longer to build if it hadn't been for access to a nearby marble resource.
"Nerf Marble."

16. A common tradition of militaries throughout history that historians clearly overlooked was making use of their ability to use combat experience in order to instantly revive 90% of the fallen men in their unit.
Because having to chose between health and promotion is obviously better than automatically getting both every time you gain combat experience. Or was this about the mechanic, itself? Who knows? I mean, almost the same mechanic that was in Civ4. Or maybe he just really likes losing units when they gain promotions?

17. After a couple hours playing Civilization, your inner voice actually says "I wonder what's on televison" rather than "One more turn..."
Not really. But then... I don't really watch Television.

TL;DR: QQ

20. Weapons don't work on boats.

21. If your army wins a battle, all your dead soldiers come back to life.

22. Grass is more nutritious than mutton or beef

23. The most destructive weapon ever invented is a two legged robot that kills its enemies with beams of light.

24. Throughout history, no civilization has been able to mine hills that are defended by sheep. The sheep hate mines and are very fierce, so no-one will dare to mine near them. The sheep however don't mind being put in pens and eaten.

25. When three foxes get togeather, two will chase each other while the third will simply watch and never do anything.

Wow, another one of these useless threads.

Seriously, i suggest You to imagine, that all Your points are implemented in game. Let's go further, whole real life through 6000 years is perfectly implemented. What a boring game would it be...

Games *need* to be a bit simplified, have weird rules, so they're *playable* - it's called game design

Now go to play civ4 and make list of flaws there, because there will be many, when You will do it with the same logic.

it's called a sense of humor, some people have them, others do not.

26. It is very common for the world to crash now and then during the history. However this problem is often solved through loading the latest auto save of the world and the history can continue. But sometimes the world freeze beyond help and need to be restarted.

24. Throughout history, no civilization has been able to mine hills that are defended by sheep. The sheep hate mines and are very fierce, so no-one will dare to mine near them. The sheep however don't mind being put in pens and eaten.
:lol:

27. Small nations on the other side of the world don't mind their warmongering Alexander that much, but they'll form a coalition of the willing to take you down if you even consider uniting the peoples of your continent.

Great. Another spam "I hate Civ5" thread.

Maybe ancient buildings were just built so well that their maintenance cost was as cheap as ancient roads?

It's nice to see that you've noticed the same crappy combat AI that has been around since Civ2.

I'm sure someone could come up with a better animation for you, since the issue is entirely cosmetic. They could use arrows. Or, if you'd prefer, throw rocks or hurl cows?

Soldiers wielding ranged weapons generally weren't used to capture POW's or perform CQC of any kind... because they were wielding ranged weapons. Seriously, why bring a bow to a shovel fight?

"Men on horses aren't faster than men on foot." "I don't like that certain units have unique abilities."

"... crappy combat AI that has been around since Civ2."

Maybe they just really like whales? Or maybe the AI is trying to buy your affection?

Because just requiring horses isn't good enough. I want to have even less resources to build units with.

This is the worst one, because it shows you don't know what you are talking about. Musketmen replaced archers due to a better cost-effect ratio, and Rifles were the next step forward in firearms technology. This is like comparing a Trebuchet to WWII Era Artillery.

Also, arrows are quite effective at piercing several types of armor. Plate was the most effective at stopping this, but it had to be heavy (and thus, expensive) to provide adequate protection. However, that considered, a Swordsman also has to get close to you to hurt you; who do you think would win a fight that started at 1000 yards? The guy who has to run across it wearing 100lbs of armor and carrying a broadsword, or the guy wearing leather and carrying a bow? How about between a man with a rifle, who can fire straight down the sights, or a man with a bow who has to aim into the air?

The reason the Rifleman wears cloth armor... is because plate/leather/chain armor is obsolete. It doesn't matter what you are wearing, if they hit you... they hit you- and this has remained a fact even today, where body-armor doesn't always protect you from ballistics.

As far as the bombardment goes, I fail to see your point? If you are wearing 100lbs of metal, and looking at the world through a hole, then someone starts hurling rocks at you... you aren't going to be able to move as quickly as someone wearing clothes... so you aren't going to be able to move out of the way. You act like everyone was just standing there getting hit with catapults, and the concept of "get out of the way" hadn't been invented yet.

QQ

There are several mountains in the world that are simply impractical to climb for military reasons. The vast majority of military units would rather go around Mt. Everest than try to climb over it.

Individual military doctrines are often honed over multiple engagements with military units of varying sizes. This fact holds true to this day.

As does every single member of the U.S. armed services, to some extent; part of the recurring training involves first-aid that includes (but is not limited to) treatment of upper-chest wounds, field lung-inflation, proper application of a turnakit, and the issued materials to perform field-cauterization, wound sanitation, and so on.

And the other countries don't have ridiculous, or (dare I say it?) unique traits.

"Nerf Marble."

Because having to chose between health and promotion is obviously better than automatically getting both every time you gain combat experience. Or was this about the mechanic, itself? Who knows? I mean, almost the same mechanic that was in Civ4. Or maybe he just really likes losing units when they gain promotions?

Not really. But then... I don't really watch Television.

TL;DR: QQ

tl;dr - but you're clearly mad, huh?

thread is funny tho' :)

Moderator Action: CFC isn't against these types of topics as they are fun and entertaining, but please keep this fun and don't argue, thanks. :)

I really hate it when my video games aren't perfectly accurate historically, even if their inaccuracies are a longstanding part of the franchise and vitally important to making the game fun. :(

Nice one. :goodjob:

The only 2 options for warfare are letting everybody dogpile in a giant mess of axes, tanks, catapults, etc and attacking another pile OR not letting any types stand near eachother or pass through the land someone is already standing on

28. two community workers cant pass each other on a sidewalk. one of them have to walk around the block (which isnt a block but a hexagon) to continue their journey. otherwise they are stuck.
29. scientists makes new discovery : world is made out of hexagons. maps and atlas' needs to be redrawn.

Top Bottom