155 things you didn't know until Civ5 taught you

Meh, civ4 had a lot funnier "X things you didn't know until X"-threads. :p

31. Oil is useless for a modern army. Instead, the one who controls the most aluminium mines can build the strongest army. That's why we invaded Iraq for: aluminium!

32. Helicopters can't fly over water and move faster when they fly over a road and even faster when they fly over a railroad.

31. My warrior jumps into the sea to reach the little island with ruins, ends up next to a Songhai warrior and a barb-galley. I didn't get those ruins! :(

32. A warrior in the middle of no where can spontaneously construct a ship.
33. Gandhi was a huge fan of nuclear weapons. He believed the best way to bring peace to India was by Mutually Assured Destruction.
34. Queen Isabella of Spain was instantly able to generate 1,000 Gold when she discovered natural wonders.
35. The UN has only ever voted on one issue: who will win diplomatic victory.

-The UK denounced the United States after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.
-It is not possible to eat sugar, spices, or bananas without a calender.
-An atomic bomb has a greater range than a nuclear missile, but if you fire precisely two nuclear missiles at a city will be demolished forever.
-After we research nanotechnology there will be nothing left for humans to discover.
- Machu Pichu was not built in the city of Machu Pichu.
- Russia was unable to adapt communism because they had too many cities.
-Julius Caesar needed to wait 45 turns before was able to turn Rome into a dictatorship.
-People were physically unable to enter other countries until they learned how to write.
-Democracies like England and the US are unable to be nationalistic.
-Theaters did not exist until the Printing Press emerged.
-It is possible to learn how to ride horses without actually having any horses to ride.
-Only a few thousand soldiers are able to fit in New York City at one time.
-Theaters constructed in states on the opposite side of the country make me happy.
-The Indians and Siamese could magically transform horses into elephants, and the Arabians could turn them into camels.

4. Soldiers wielding ranged weapons of any kind were not fit to capture enemy workers.

They can (move order)

-These ancient cities that fire giant rocks can actually fire these rocks over mountains
-The ancient cities also shot their giant rocks at steath bombers going like 1,000 mph.
-Throughout history, different civilizations have always declared war on eachother for building
cities near them. That's why everyone in europe hate eachother
-El Dorado is real.
-England denounced the United States and Russia for taking German cities during ww2.
-A worker and a general can't be on the same tile. A general is one person but workers hate being around him.

I don't know what number were on.

Throughout history, different civilizations have always declared war on eachother for building
cities near them. That's why everyone in europe hate eachother

Hate to be a party pooper, but this is actually true. An idea like NATO/EU is very recent, and for the longest time European nationed HATED their neighbors, unless if they were small and out of the way like Switzerland. Some of the rivals are legendary in their number of wars against each other (France and Britian, Denmark and Sweden, etc). And don't get me started on Colonization. Perhaps this didn't apply when Rome and Macedon were making their empires, but from Mideval to very recently, this was very true.

42. Whenever Germany fights terrorists or revolutionarys, half of them will join the army.

43. Jannisarys got full health from units by adding more slaves to their ranks. Jaguars got full health by killing slaves for culture.

44. Wahington was wearing his colonial clothes in 4000 B.C. Likewise, Hiawatha was wearing loinscloth in 2000 A.D.

45. Citizens in New York were rioting because the Metrodome's dome collasped, and therefore couldn't bring entertainment to the citizens of Minnieapolis.

46) A guy trained to hit people with a club can learn to cut them with a sword instead, but he can never learn to stab them with a spear. A guy trained to stab people with a spear can never learn to stab them with a sword, he can only learn to stab them with a bigger spear. However they can all learn to shoot people with guns.

46) A guy trained to hit people with a club can learn to cut them with a sword instead, but he can never learn to stab them with a spear. A guy trained to stab people with a spear can never learn to stab them with a sword, he can only learn to stab them with a bigger spear. However they can all learn to shoot people with guns.

47. The only execption to the above is if the warrior finds some spears in a ruin. In that case, he learns to stab with a spear, but not cut with a sword.

48. Upon researching optics, everyone learns the ability to transform into a boat and back at will.

48. Upon researching optics, everyone learns the ability to transform into a boat and back at will.

And the same units are able to magically transform into a train. Absolutely nobody has an issue with this because that's the way it's always been.

And the same units are able to magically transform into a train. Absolutely nobody has an issue with this because that's the way it's always been.

Never seen any unit transforming into a train. Maybe we have been playing different games? Oh, that must be some new DLC spell

It's humor. Calm down.

:cringe:

Some of these here in this thread... many of these are simply... unimaginative, dull, unfunny, unoriginal... and even, yep I'll say it, plain dumb. Compared to the ones on civ4... :(

All I'm saying is, come on people you can do better than that! ;)

49. Apparently the more people you have the slower population grows

50. One engineer is good enough to build anything in one year

49. Apparently the more people you have the slower population grows

50. One engineer is good enough to build anything in one year

Liar. Only great ones can do that. Normal engineers produce great ones but only if there aren't dastardly artists and merchants making their great people faster

51. You can trust an Aztec... will be just as warlike as any other nation.

52. World diplomacy sums to "RAWR! ME BACKSTAB YOU" "Oh my god, your friend backstabbed you! I hate you now!" "Me too!" "Ditto!" "Let's form a colation of the willing!"

8. Medieval cavalry units, i.e. knights, never required iron in order to be outfitted with weapons and heavy armor.

Actually your article gave me some good laughs and some of the points bear some truth.

But I already myself wondered very much about this. I additionally wonder about that: If steel is a prerequisite to gunpowder (so is needed for gunpowder units), why wouldn't they also need iron? It would be logical to me, that everything that needs steel also would need iron.

But I think that if iron doesn't come in plenty then, it would just add an additional luck factor to change this rule. And if they come in too plenty, it would take away the fun to look for iron in the early game for quite some moves sometimes.

So I think, it should be left as is.

PS.: Even if many claim diplomacy being good in CiV, in my opinion it's by far the worst part of it (even negatively beating the combat AI).
We'll see, what the upcoming patch does for it (hopefully a lot). Also there should be absolutely no actions the AI can do, but the human player can't (like asking for a ressource when allied eg.).

Top Bottom