155 things you didn't know until Civ5 taught you

140. If a fishing boat sails past a hill in 3000 BC, and then sinks, then the folks back home still know about that hill. Furthermore, without ever revisiting the area, when their science has advanced enough, they realize there's valuable uranium under that hill.

141. Every mountain is completely unclimbable. It's also impossible to build a road, tunnel or anything else.

Oil rigs take years to set up on land, yet hundreds of feet below the ocean's surface, you can set one up instantaneously.

Oil rigs take years to set up on land, yet hundreds of feet below the ocean's surface, you can set one up instantaneously.

In the world of entertainment media, veteran offshore oil drillers can blow asteroids up and save the world, so setting up an oil rig really fast is no surprise!

Advanced civilizations prefer to save money by only having one way into and out of town. And only one citizen at at time may use this road. All other citizens must walk through the wilderness.

civilians and the military cannot move north and south, but only northeast, northwest, southwest, southeast, east, or west.

one more:

There is no need for advanced countries to build a huge military (they can't afford one anyways), 2 infantry units and and 2 ranged unit2 is all you need to hold off the largest armies in the world if used correctly.

Actually, this is kindof true!

After all, it's not unlogical to assemble the rig as much as possible before sailing it out to sea.

Another one:

First, men learned how to shoot arrows while riding horse. It was centuries later that men discovered it was possible to ride the horse without shooting arrows, although some men had already found out it's also possible to shoot arrows without riding a horse!

Actually, this is kindof true!

It takes between 2-4 years for a rig to be set up and begin producing oil offshore in reality. A drilling rig is set up, taps the ocean floor (this is the long arduous process, where BP had it's booboo). Once the wellhead is established, the drilling rig moves on to the next site. Then the pumping rig (the actual well) is mounted and begins producing oil. (those move from site to site as well). New rigs aren't built for new wells, only as they need replacing.

So in reality, no.

As an addendum, it only takes 1-2 years to get a land-based oil well producing.

Cant be bothered to read them all. Hope this hasn't been taken.

149. If you are deemed "great" at your profession, you may be sacraficed in order to improve the income and production of every city in the empire.

nice thread .. my turn

150. City states know how to fight better than civilizations, cooperating with educated cities make your life easier cause they will not raze the captured cities but expand to a nice empire. It was fun seeing how Copenhagen colonized London and supported me pearls and furs for thousands of years. Also, Sidon and Hanoi can shame Napoleon by invading Paris and Lyon.

151. It is common that civilization A and B declare war together against civilization C, but 5 years later A also starts to fight against B. Then 10 years later B makes peace with C, but most of the battles are between A and B, leaving C unattended. As you know, I am playing C. Though this is a very simple case, but on a huge map with more than 10 civilizations things can be very complicated. In many situations, the world is a battle field and everyone is fighting with each other, but only me have been forgotten (like I have no war affair with anyone). So my workers could walk through the arrows and bullets with no harm, meanwhile my cheap warrior could pillage mines, trade posts for easy gold without causing any attention.

okay, one more ...

152. The civilization who threw nuclear bombs against other civilizations won the UN vote, sadly, it is true not only in civ 5.

153. An african empire wants to eliminate an American competitor, but do not want to trouble himself sailing large army across the ocean, so he pays 1000 gold to a small city in America, then gifts that city 30 tanks + 10 helicopters, then he just declares the war. After 30 years later, his american competitor is eliminated. That is a smart way of making war.

156. Ancient cavemen couldn't see horses until they learned animal husbandry.

Top Bottom