G&K video preview with Dennis Shirk and Ed Beach

While it might be the case for Utrecht, I doubt it is for Breda ! The trade route ability is clearly shown by the white bridges.

The white bridge is just a part of the Polder graphic IMO. The picture shows three different Polder graphics, and the white bridge appears on all 4 Polders with one particular graphic, but not on any of the others.

One thing we could check is compare the behavior we see with the Iroquois UA, which should behave the same. If you use the Iroquois and build a road on a non-forest tile that is adjacent to two forest tiles in your own territory, do you see a fork in the road going to the two forest tiles or does it just look like a dead end road?

I disagree with a nerf on this ability . The Crossing mountain ability for Carthage isn't their main ability and isn't even strong enough to justify such heavy nerf like this . This ability is more interesting to be used as a alternative route for surprise players who try to use Mountains as a natural defense and this case is very unusual .

It is just rather gimicky to make them the ONLY civ that can cross mountains. Like they were known for their stupendous mountain negotiating abilities spare one notable usage in history. Plus it is hardly a gameplay changer as it is.

You have to admit it brings more colour to the game though.

The polder terrain graphic is really whacked. Looks like playing civ on acid -- or a graphics glitch. Really awful.

My exact thought.

Build an empire to stand the test of time and to turn the world into a giant LSD trip.

A bit more decent colours would probably already fix this, I guess ^^.

It brings more color, but it is completely out of harmony with the aesthetics of the game. It's quite jolting. The brightness needs to be toned down, or the fields of color should be smaller relative to the rest of the terrain graphic. Or both.

The polder terrain graphic is really whacked. Looks like playing civ on acid -- or a graphics glitch. Really awful.

You have never seen the tulip fields from the air? They should be more connected with berms separating them but they are really that colorful in real life.

You have never seen the tulip fields from the air?

The graphic is fine if, in real life, 60% of Netherlands' land is tulip fields. But I don't think that's the case. As far as gameplay is concerned, it will look ridiculous having Netherlands next door to you with its swath of land colored like a giant easter egg. I mean, seriously. In those areas where tulips are being grown, yes it is colorful and beautiful, as pictured above. But, Netherlands from the air doesn't look like a giant tie dye shirt, does it?

The graphic is fine if I'm flying over tulip fields in real life. But, it is highly unlikely I'll be doing that while playing Civ.

It will look ridiculous having Netherlands next door to you with its swath of land colored like a giant easter egg. I mean, seriously. In those areas where tulips are being grown, yes it is colorful and beautiful, as pictured above. But, Netherlands from the air doesn't look like a giant tie dye shirt, does it?

I dunno, the picture Buccaneer provided looks like the artists got it right.

The graphic is fine if, in real life, 60% of Netherlands' land is tulip fields. But I don't think that's the case. As far as gameplay is concerned, it will look ridiculous having Netherlands next door to you with its swath of land colored like a giant easter egg. I mean, seriously. In those areas where tulips are being grown, yes it is colorful and beautiful, as pictured above. But, Netherlands from the air doesn't look like a giant tie dye shirt, does it?

60% is a gross exaggeration but given the scale of Civ5, sure. After all, if you have a city planted among hills, most of your tiles are mines, right? There are hundreds of tiles in the game of all variety and this just add to it. Take a look a satellite map of Western Europe and even from space, the low country's tulip fields stand out quite brilliantly.

You're not going to have a high percentage of land as Polders, if you can only build them on Marshes and Flood Plains.

And for those gushing about how powerful an improvement it is, remember that it's not available until Guilds in the Medieval era. In the case of Marsh, that's going to mean you can't build a farm there during earlier periods (because it will remove the marsh), so those tiles will be pretty useless for the first half of the game.

You're not going to have a high percentage of land as Polders, if you can only build them on Marshes and Flood Plains.

Which is perfectly fine..

Terrace Farms are only buildable on Hills
Moai Statues are only buildable on coastal tiles, and even then you have to choose between sacrificing something for the culture.

I think it's more fun if polder should only built on Marsh and provide 1 Tulip resource for the first polder and no more after that.

Top Bottom