After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

Can't regular spies pop goodie huts guarded by barbs too?

Can't regular spies pop goodie huts guarded by barbs too?

They can, but the GS from the GW comes earlier when being PHI, has 2 moves and doesn't use any resources to be built apart from the GW itself which is mandatory in Raging Barb games :) .

While following Sulllas CIV streaming last Saturday I learned that antialias on even 2x vs off can have huge performance impact on later game, probably depends on the HW but still the difference was huge... reminded me of the times back in 2006 when I played Warlords on a 3 or 4 years old computer with 512MB of ram and geforce something (I think). I actually used some memory compression software just to get through the endgame. :D

The GG-galley with movement bonuses. It's a genuinely clever use of the game rules I've never thought of before and I'm still thinking up of good uses for it. Could you have a ship with two medic promos to heal troops along the shoreline?

Now there's a thought I never considered. Do coastal squares count as a "any tile" for the medic? Should be an interesting experiment.

I don't know for sure, but I do remember reading somewhere that the healing bonus doesn't cross the shoreline.

I don't know for sure, but I do remember reading somewhere that the healing bonus doesn't cross the shoreline.

So what you're saying is I've been promoting Transports and Carriers to Medic all these years for nothing? :sad:

So what you're saying is I've been promoting Transports and Carriers to Medic all these years for nothing? :sad:

No. He's saying that units on shore don't heal units at sea and visa versa. Transports and Carriers that have medic promos will help heal the units that are onboard, as well as any other ships in their company. (BTW, I am assuming that he knows that. I have never tried it for the cross shore effect. I do use the medic promo in fleets and it does help the marines and planes. I usually give the medic to a destroyer or two in the fleet, since I like to give the transports and carriers the added movement promo, so the fleet can move faster.)

Let's hope your worker doesn't make the goodie hut inhabitants angry (pop barbs). :aargh:

I had the Great Wall and an overabundance of Workers so I figured what the heck.

You won't get any failgold from the space elevator, if you have launched your spaceship. You can't even finish building it. All your production towards it will just vanish.

You won't get any failgold from the space elevator, if you have launched your spaceship. You can't even finish building it. All your production towards it will just vanish.

Not much different if you finish the damn thing either :D

continued playing after getting a Diplomatic victory with the AP - and found that I couldn't build the UN.

Mucking around with the world builder:
1) deleting Rifling from my techs allows some interesting Drafts - Anti-Tank if still have Scientific Method, SAM Infantry otherwise.

2) Once you've chosen to research a Tech, you no longer need the prereqs and can remove them without interfering with your research.

Indeed, as much era in which you are now won't regress if taking out the present era techs.
It's one of the permanent effect of a game that can't be worldbuilt. You need to edit as a scenario to move back to a previous era. Just like meeting another player cannot be unmet without scenario editting.

Just yesterday, I learned there's a way to make all of your cities build the same thing. However, I don't know the actual command; I was punch-drunk and misclicked and suddenly all 30 of my cities were producing explorers. That was annoying. :blush:

Ctrl clicking a city title bar selects all cities easily building everything. You can also swap build quee by holding shift and switch its spot. Also if you hold alt and click your build choice it makes them permenantly.

Selecting cities and shift right clciking a tile makes units garrison there. Just expanding on your post for others.

I recently found having a warrior for example with a few hammers then connecting copper to it will remove warrior from available units. but the hammers go into spearman who has percentage completed overflowed. A 12/15 warrior becomes a 30/35 spearman. (roughly)

I recently found out walls give 2 iPower each. Something the AI uses to evaluate strength when deciding if to attack you. Barracks and similar buildings do the same.

Sitting a unit on a tile wont let forests jungles spread on it

I knew these for a while. I have just been parsing civ4 leaderheadinfo.xml and learning a lot on AI attitudes. Ill post more when Im home.

Ctrl clicking a city title bar selects all cities easily building everything.

Small correction on this otherwise excellent post: Ctrl only selects all cities on the continent, Alt really selects all your cities.

I recently found having a warrior for example with a few hammers then connecting copper to it will remove warrior from available units. but the hammers go into spearman who has percentage completed overflowed. A 12/15 warrior becomes a 30/35 spearman. (roughly).
WOW. That's a new one on me; I always thought the 12/15 warrior became a 12/35 spearman.

Same here, was sure it just turned into 12/35 spear as you say, but can't say I've paid attention to it. Just been annoyed warriors were suddenly obsolete and that a "useless" spear was getting built.

It's sort of the same when you upgrade units too. If they aren't at full health when you upgrade, they get the same percentage (I assume) when upgraded. It probably has to do with the x/100 health mechanic, but it's quite nice to get "free" health.

Top Bottom