Your Civ Environment

Lemon Merchant

Not Quite Sonic
Retired Moderator
Most of us have a certain place where we play Civ - a certain environment. A place that is relaxing and gets you in the mood to build, wage war, or go to space, or any of the other things you can do in Civ4.

I always play in my home office. It's where my main computer is. I have a comfy office chair and a dual monitor setup (to keep an eye on temperatures and core loads). I always play by candlelight, with a glass of wine nearby, and maybe some M&Ms. The temperature is comfortable enough to wear scrubs (comfy!), but cool enough that I don't fall asleep. And I'm far enough from the telly that I can't hear it.

Besides, the music in the background drowns out anything. ;)

So what is your Civ environment like?

Laptop on a little TV-dinner-foldy-table thing downstairs in the coldest part of the house. I mostly play after I get home from work (midnightish) when everyone's asleep and I can DoW in peace. :goodjob:

...with a glass of wine nearby...
But what do you do when Shaka attacks and pillages your Winery? :mischief:

The nice thing about Civ is that I don't need a particularly suitable environment to get into it as I might, say, studying for a physics exam. All I really need is a decent monitor, speakers or headphones, and not too many external distractions. Currently, where my desktop is in the living room works quite well for that.

But it's just as addicting to be playing on my laptop on a sofa at a friend's place. Slightly less ideal since there's not a nice surface for the mouse, but one-more-turn-fever kicks in nonetheless.

The place I've probably played Civ the most overall would be my parents' dining room, where I first played Civ3. It actually was a pretty nice setup for Civ. Far enough from the bedrooms that the speakers could be on without being too loud, close to the kitchen for snacks, and with a nice window facing east so the sunlight could come in at dawn and let me know it was time to save the game for the night and go to sleep!

I'm playing in small room on desk, currently with old laptop (which will be updated to a desktop after a couple of months, hooray). I like to eat some cheap Lidl stuff like Apple Loops while playing (if I find any). I play always with headphones. Clothing is t-shirt, sweatpants and no socks like when doing anything else in home.

I work the overnight shift so my Civ playing occurs in the morning and afternoon. My computer desk is in the den of my apt, nice and cool. During the day I keep the window blinds open to let in the light. I also keep the TV on either stationed to a cable news channel or maybe the History channel providing its not playing some stupid reality show. I much prefer History channel to stick to actual history stuff. Love getting civ inspiration from programs about nation histories. Watching /listening to a show about ancient cultures or periods of conflict always puts me into a good civing mood.

I tried playing from bed once, by RDP'ing from my laptop to my desktop, but it was not to be as the laptop couldn't handle the resolution I usually play at.

There's an alcove in our family room where I set up a desk for my computer and I like to play there.
I can have the TV on in the background, but more importantly it's right behind my wife's tv/reading recliner. So if she's watching some inane reality show, like the bachelorette, I can make a comment from behind her and it's like we're spending some quality time. So I don't take a lot of abuse when I'm playing. Of course as a result I haven't had the sound on for years because it used to drive her crazy.

Let's see. I've got Civ installed on every comp in the house ( including the better half's, which she just recently discovered, dang it :eek:), and everything set up wireless for when the three oldest boys come over to play with the old man and little brother.
Hmnn, so I guess that would be in the living room with the primary lappy to where we could all gather and have fun. If I'm just doing my own thing, it's still in the living room with either the PC or the lappy. Since I also work the graveyard shift, I usually change into scrubs and settle down with a basic breakfast burrito or biscuts and gravy and play for about two to three hours before heading off to bed. Great way to relax and unwind from a rough night.

Interesting, the notes about TV and the history channel in particular. I don't own a TV, so I don't have one near my Civ environment. But sometimes, when playing Civ or other history-based games, I will have my laptop nearby to look up historical aspects of the game on Wikipedia. Which does sometimes lead to a Wikipedia linkfest and reading instead of playing.

I usually play Civ in casual street clothes, but occasionally will in business casual if I don't feel like changing into something else after work.

1) In the bed, with the main TV running in the background and my wife next to me surfing on her laptop or watching TV.

2) In the library ín a comfy chair, when my wife is asleep (I ususally get up an hour or two before her).

3) In the office, when I am in a phase where I am mainly waiting for the AI to do stuff and my turns require very little time, so when I am forced to listen to somebody boring on the phone I do a turn at the same time.

I play exclusively in the nude - anywhere in the house and the porch. It's very liberating'

edit:

Spoiler :
Just in case anyone was thinking I was a bigger nutjob than I really am, I was just joking. :D I do play just about anywhere in the house, but do so fully garbed. Ok...maybe occasionally in my boxers when the ladies are not around. I generally just have a nice ice gold glass of Coke or Dr. Pepper for refreshment - no food. Rarely do I imbibe spirits while playing as that can lead to crazy stuff, although I've on occasion fired up civ after coming up soused from the pubs.

@civfanchambers - So true about the History Channel. They need stop with the reality crap and focus on actual history. I'd love to see more shows and movies like "Vikings" as well. Really cool if they would do series of action/adventure/dramas focusing on less covered periods of history or events like Otto's attack on Vienna, Mongols, Russia, etc....anything really. It could be their niche and I would watch that stuff all the time.

I have a little niche room, it's octagonal with windows on seven sides (the opening to the master bedroom is on the eighth side). I have a computer table in the room with an office chair. When I'm playing during the day I close the blinds for the window the sun is shining through. I have to open and close blinds about once an hour. I drink iced tea when it's warm and hot tea when it's cool. And headphones. Gots to wear headphones to listen to classical music when I'm playing.

Sounds like a nice little room.

My main computer is in the living room on desk with duel monitor and a TV. The computer used to be in the then home office which has turned into my son's bedroom. So, obviously, i can only use it when he's asleep. There is another PC in the bedroom. I sometimes hide there during the day if I'm home. But that happens less and less since I figured playing with my son is more interesting than playing any games.

Until he's old enough to play the game. Obviously.

he plays. but only games like purple palace, mahjong titans on windows 7, or mostly watching me playing wii sports resort...

he plays. but only games like purple palace, mahjong titans on windows 7, or mostly watching me playing wii sports resort...

Mahjong Titans is what I play when I first wake up in order to activate my brain enough to play Civ. :goodjob:

(I've found that the quickest way to destroy my empire is to try and fight a war before the coffee kicks in...)

Heh, I started all 4 of my boys on civ as soon as they were old enough. Much to the eternal annoyance of the significant other. On the plus side, us guys get awesome snacks during our civ sessions, and mom usually get's taken out to her favorite resteraunt as compensation.

Top Bottom