Beyond Earth

Yep, I've got it.

So far, mixed impressions. I never played CiV, so it took me a long time to understand the gameplay mechanics, but after 200 turns I've kinda got an idea of what I'm meant to be doing.

Graphics look pretty but its hard to figure out what is what.
Interface is terrible, looks pretty but again hard to figure out what is what. Completely non-intuitive.
Civlopedia has lots of lore and detail, but nowhere near as useful and intuitive as even the Civlopedia in Civ4
Seems to lack the immersion of SMAC so far. Whereas the different factions in SMAC all had their own traits, playstyles and identities, in BE, so far anyway, they all seem to just be essentially the same faction with a different looking leader.
Wonders seem weak, little more than powerful buildings, to the point where I get a new tech and go "is this a building or a wonder?" No movies either :(

I realise that's a list of complaints......I''l try and think of something positive to say about the game...

But I keep playing it....I'm on one of the lower difficulties, next game I'll jump up a couple to see how I get on.

I don't have it. Have seen some screenshots and it looks far too much like Civ 5 for me to want to play it. (I didn't enjoy Civ 5 at all.)

Nope. Don't intend to pick it up, either. Civ 5 killed my interest in the new Civilization games.

I played the demo. It is essentially Civilization 5 with a pasted on Sci-fi theme. There are a few interesting innovations but for the most part it is dull and lifeless.

Since it borrows heavily from Civilization 5, it still has terrible diplomacy, 1 UPT which the AI still can't figure out how to use and unstable multiplayer.

The UI is considered to be a step back from even Civilization 5.

It also carries a hefty price tag.

If you want an honest review, check out Tom Chick's:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/10/25/occasionally-thrilling-beyond-earth-cant-quite-get-beyond-civilization-v/

Don't have it and doubt I'll pick it up.

Civ5 simply wasn't the game for me, and a glorified mod doesn't change that.

I am so glad I didn't follow the hive minded hype. Civ 5 was bad enough and it seems they made it even worse :lol:

No thanks

As long as they stick to 1upt and all the consequences that come with it, I got no hope for Civ6

Well, quarterto three, the posted objective review, is the lowest on metactritic, which gives it a combined 82.

Well, quarterto three, the posted objective review, is the lowest on metactritic, which gives it a combined 82.

User reviews are sitting at 5.9 with as many negative reviews as positive. Positive reviews make up only 36% of the user reviews.

As long as they stick to 1upt and all the consequences that come with it, I got no hope for Civ6

Exactly. It would be disastrous for them to retain 1UPT. It is an utterly failed premise.

Hopefully, they will go to 64 bit and then the sky is literally the limit. (Whether they take advantage of that is another question altogether.)

Dreaming of a good civ 6 is a waste of time. They released a game with obvious basic gameplay flaws. The designer knew this and everyone decent at the game said this. Problem is the vast majority of sales do not come from serious gamers. Did they lose a lot of money on civ 5? I was under the impression they expanded their market base to a great deal of softcore gamers. There's no reason for them to turn back now. The series as a serious strategy game is dead. It lives on as a SIMS historical roleplay game now.

Beyond Earth never had a chance to be good. Why would a sci-fi themed mod of a bad game turn into something deeper. It will be really cool to play through 1-5 times, and then just like civ 4 colonization, never played again.

I thought one of the Civ V devs said post-release that 1UPT was a huge mistake? Clearly they don't all think so or they wouldn't have repeated it.

From my point of view I see nothing to suggest this is anything but a Civ V clone. I'l still probably try it out, since that's only fair, but I'm not expecting much.

A friend of mine picked it up for me. It still has most of the core problems Civ 5 did, and the manual is (oddly) awful, leaving out critical information. It's buggy and horribly unbalanced, but I think there's some room for fun here, once it gets decently patched up.

However- it's "inspired" by Alpha Centauri exclusively in the sense that it's an expansion pack sequel to the previous game. It has no heart, and it has no soul, and AC was overflowing with both. Planet busters alone don't keep people talking about- let alone playing- a game for fifteen years.

I thought one of the Civ V devs said post-release that 1UPT was a huge mistake? Clearly they don't all think so or they wouldn't have repeated it.

From my point of view I see nothing to suggest this is anything but a Civ V clone. I'l still probably try it out, since that's only fair, but I'm not expecting much.

No Civ5 dev have ever said that 1upt was a huge mistake, or a mistake at all. Jon Shafer (lead designer, now indie developer) spoke rather openly of some of the drawbacks of 1upt post-release, but some took what he said way too far.

I've never seen the current Firaxis team talk negatively about 1upt. And even if they do see the flaws of 1upt, making Beyond Earth 1upt still makes sense. It's a lot easier(=cheaper) to just stick with 1upt rather than design a new combat system. Also, the Civ5 fans will love it. So why waste money changing something the buyers love?

While we might hate 1upt, we are a small minority. Civ5 is a huge financial success and 1upt is a part of that.

Yes unfortunately. On a 1-10 scale I'd give it a 4.

UI; horrendous, especially for those of us with bad eyes.

Leaders; Dull, lifeless, boring. Makes me wanna grab blaster and just put them out of my misery.

Story; Early game, great. Mid-end game is boring and seriously lacking.

A.I.; It's 1upt, and the AI is worse than civ V in dealing with it.

Maps; A 50/50% shot here. Some maps are great, while others want me to automatically reach for my modding tools.

Exploits; The biggy is the trade route exploit. Happiness isn't really an issue either if you take some basic precautions, and can also be exploited.

Units: minimal types, uses, and counters. Meh.

Combat: don't get me started... Just don't.

Wonders; A vast majority are totally useless, and no wonder videos, WTF?

Alerts; None. Seriously, you have no idea when a city has completed a build.

Toss in no end game cinematic's, no end game replay, no graphs, only one voice for extremely bad quotes, and it's really not worth the fail gold I paid for it. On the plus side, once the modders get a hold of it and start working their magic, it should become a good game to play.

Nice to know what Civ 4 vets think of Civ:BE.

So, if I need a fix for a 'modernized' SMAC, what do you people recommend?

Nice to know what Civ 4 vets think of Civ:BE.

So, if I need a fix for a 'modernized' SMAC, what do you people recommend?

Download the CIV mod Planetfall. It's pretty decent. I never played SMAC, but others have said that Planetfall is an effort to mod CIV as a follow on to SMAC. Since it is a CIV mod, the price is right. All you risk is the time to try it out.

Top Bottom