Rhye's and Fall of Civilization: Beyond the Sword

Edungeon

Flying~
Rhye's and Fall of Civilization: Beyond the Sword

New Civilizations and Leaders

From the 10 new Civilization of Beyond the Sword, RFC is going to use 5.

The 5 New Civilizations
  • Maya
    • Pacal
  • Netherlands
    • Willem van Oranje
  • Portugal
    • Joao II
  • Khmer
    • Suryavarman
  • And one more unknown civ (probably Ethiopia).

And there is a new non-playable civilization in the 600 Start: The Byzantine Empire.

Portugal and Holland

Portugal and Holland are civilizations that are choked in the Europe but develop really well through their colonial empire. They usually have 1 or 2 big cities enough to run a colonial empire, but of course, if Spain takes Lisboa, Portugal collapses :).​

The Portuguese AI will focus their colonization efforts in the Brazillian coast and some spots in Africa. In counterpart to this, the Dutch go to a lot of places but mainly for South Africa, Caribbean, New York area and Australia. The colonization efforts of Japan in Indonesia will be halt by the Dutchs.​

Unique Powers and Unique Historical Victory

The Portuguese ships have more visibility range, and the Portuguese goal (one of them) is to have the most explored map, this goal is in direct competition with the Dutch who have the same condition.​
The Unique Power of Holland is that ships can travel through other territories without open borders, not powerful compared to others Unique Powers but it is a necessity as they are completely closed by the culture of England, Viking and France. If it wasn't for this Unique Power, the Dutch wouldn't be in RFC today ( and you all can thank Elhoim for this ;) ).​
The Mayans have an interesting Unique Historical Victory, two of their goals are to the first civ to discover the Calendar by 600AD and manage not to lose a single city until the Industrial Age.​
Starting Places

All the Starting Places of the new civs were improved, since sometimes the region was very poor, and this is the way to make small civs more competitive. The new known starting places are: Yucatan Peninsula, West Iberian Peninsula and Low Countries.​
The Khmer are going to enter in the timeline of the game between Arabia and Spain; Dutch will start between Russia and Mali, and Portugal will start between Mali and Inca.​

Late Save Generator

One of the features of the RFC:BTS is the Late Save Generator, if you want to start a game with a medieval or modern civ, you can use the late save generator. The game starts to be generated in 600AD instead of 4000BC, with this you can speed to play as a civ like Britain or America, but the changes in the world will be less dynamic, since all the ancient era will be the same. The beginning playable civs are: China, Japan, Arabia and Vikings.​
In the Late Save Generator there is the non-playable Byzantine Empire, with preset cities. This is the same system used in the 1000AD scenario (made by Rhye too).​

Beyond the Sword Features

RFC will use all the new units, buildings and features of BTS Epic Game. The only exception is the release of colonial Dominions, instead of some random civ it will liberate all yours city to the independent.​
The Holy Roman Empire will be represented in the Germany Civilization, with Charlemagne added to the leader list, renamed to Otto I, the first Emperor. And the only part of the Native American civilization that you will see it their UU wandering around in North America as Natives.​

For the late start, beginning playable civs are:
China, Japan, Arabia, Vikings (with the Bizantines as a minor civ)

added :). So, if you start as China, you will have your land already developed, right?

You can't play as the Byzantines? I was sooo looking forward to that, too...

Oh well. I'm wondering though... Why were the ancient era civs changed?

because the start is not in the ancient era?

Oh well. I'm wondering though... Why were the ancient era civs changed?

Well, it should be fairly easy for you to edit the WB file in order to play as Byzantine. Just set them from a minor civ to a team and you should be set without any need to edit the XML. Then again, this code is so convoluted that it could be more difficult.

Do the Byzantines count in the 5 civs? I had figured the 5 new civs would be Holland, Portugal, Maya, SE Asian civ plus the new mystery civ (that they were hinting was African).

I don't like RFC:BtS changes :/
1. Byzantine was already VERY well represented by Greece.
2. I.e. Netherlands haven''t much place in Europe, and never was very big empire (it was rich, not big).
3. Portugal will give Spain new problems
4. Charlemagne was Frankish leader. Franks are represented by France (just look at starting date).
5. Native American UU may mean that last nation will be Native Americans (as non playable civ).
6. I don't like Native American civs :p

Non playable civs such as Byzantium don't count as "new civs". New civs are Maya, Netherlands, Portugal + other 2.
Charlemagne isn't represented as himself as German leader: he's renamed Otto I

Well, it should be fairly easy for you to edit the WB file in order to play as Byzantine. Just set them from a minor civ to a team and you should be set without any need to edit the XML. Then again, this code is so convoluted that it could be more difficult.

To make them fully playable some code should be edited to activate their stability counting (cos you know, minor civs have no one)

1. Byzantine was already VERY well represented by Greece.

Byzantium could have never be playable, since they were born in an unusual way (the Eastern Roman Empire). So their role is to populate the 600 AD start as the biggest power.

2. I.e. Netherlands haven''t much place in Europe, and never was very big empire (it was rich, not big).
3. Portugal will give Spain new problems

don't worry about that

Byzantium could have never be playable, since they were born in an unusual way (the Eastern Roman Empire). So their role is to populate the 600 AD start as the biggest power.

I think that playable Greece would populate the 600AD start much better :)

don't worry about that

Western Europe is already bigger than it used to be.

I believe that the only problem with Portugal, is when the Player is playing as Spain... Since in game there is no Reconquista to keep Spain busy, they will just crush Portugal. But it is okay, like real life =). Rhye, and you can say the starting dates for the new civs?

Europe isn't enlarged in BTS

Hmmm... That's... bad... Two new civs, plus all the old ones... Europe is going to be... bad...

Personally, I would have liked to see the Americas, Africa, and Asia become more crowded. The world kind of ends at the Bosporus in most of my games lately.

Interesting changes. I'm looking forward to BtS.

Question, Rhye: have you done anything with Sumeria (even as a minor unplayable civ)?

Top Bottom