Rhye's and Fall of Civilization

mjd260

Chieftain
A few times I've played as the Spanish, and I've had difficulty and frustration putting up with Lisboa growing exponentially, which limits the production and operability of my city on the Atlantic. That city is one square to the right from the bottom left corner of the Iberian peninsula. (It's one space away SSE from Lisboa.) Its default city name in the game is Cadiz, but Sevilla is far more historically accurate for what the game wants you to do. Sevilla was THE port city for Spain to the New World (up until the Guadalquivir River silted over), which put the city in a golden age during this time. But in this game, that spot/city is pointless, which contradicts history completely. Lisboa just grows and grows, and in a few turns, its culture has expanded to take over the three northwestern tiles that immediately surround my city.

What can I do to counteract this? Has anyone done it successfully? If the victory conditions require Spain to have significant expeditions to the New World, then this spot should be able to function. It's left me with Barcelona being the only other operable port city, but amazingly, the Byzantines zoom over and attack my ships as soon as they go out to sea. (They ignore other civs' boats, apparently.)

And, while I'm asking, can I use the map from Rhye's and Fall to play a regular game and select the civs I want?

Thanks.

Top Bottom