Any ideas how to fix the "Failed to initialize renderer" problem for ATI Radeon?

Petros

Chieftain
I just installed Civ IV Colonization and I get the "Failed to initialize renderer" and "Invalid 3D device type" error messages right after starting the game.

I'm an ATI Radeon IGP 34x user and I have installed the newest OmegaDrivers and the latest version of DirectX. I have no problem running Civ IV Vanilla, Warlords and BTS.

This is very frustrating as I'm unable to try the game. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

Does that gfx card support shader 1.1? Just being able to run Civ4 is no gauge to being able to run Col, as they use different shader technologies.

I have no idea, to be honest. If I can't find a solution to the problem here then hopefully a patch will help, but I'd like to play it now!

Actually, just did a quick look and the Radeon IGP 34x is more of a integrated chipset, rather than an actual graphics adapter. Also, the technology is more than 2 years old so it's doubtful it has T&L and shader technology (higher than 1.0) on it.

Your best bet is to get the latest unified driver from ATI (www.amd.com) and install that, and ensure you have the latest DirectX from MS (www.microsoft.com/directx) and hope. I seriously doubt your chances though from the simple fact the graphics capability of the IGP34x series is pretty limited.

Do you have another computer you can try on? :)

Well, before I updated my drivers, the game started without the "Failed to initialize renderer" error message, however, all terrain squares were black so I could only see the units on the map and the leaderheads were not displayed. Since I updated the drivers, the game doesn't even start.

I can't try it on another computer unfortunately :(. I hope my ATI Radeon chipset will still make it somehow after some patch is released.

....however, all terrain squares were black so I could only see the units on the map and the leaderheads were not displayed.

Ouch, sorry mate don't count on a patch fixing this. That's a lack of compatability with shader I think.

...however, all terrain squares were black so I could only see the units on the map....

Happened to me, too. I moved my first caravel (onto the black surrounding it) and then thank god the ocean showed up. I played for several hours but just now before I wanted to declare independance it crashes always at the same turn. That sucks.

In fact, I had the same problem with the black map and the leaderheads when I first installed CIV IV Vanilla, but thank God it was resolved by installing the appropriate OmegaDriver. It didn't help this time though.

My hope is still alive :).

Top Bottom