The Naming Thread

WOW DMOC, its like we have telepathy, this was honestly my second idea for a thread (you already took the first one as well :lol:)

Anyway, I thought we could take 3 approaches with city names.

Since we are the Mavericks, maybe we could name our cities after famous mavericks of history (Our capital of course would have to be Palin city, for isn't she the greatest maverick of all?) although after Palin, I don't think anyone could compare in terms of Maverickness or Maverickicity...

The next idea was to go with Mavericks players names. Mavericks may not have moons, but Saturn doesn't have power forwards... Or for those who don't follow the NBA, our other favourite sports stars (Chris Juddopolis anyone?).

Finally, I thought that since we have Obsolete on board, we could name our cities "Obsolete-style" (tm). That means the cap is called "Home" and other cities are called things like "Pigs Spices Gold City". Of course since its MP we could probably use this "strategically", like calling a junk tundra city "GP farm". Or naming a city "2corn 5gold" or "this city is building the Pyramids". Just a thought...

How about we set up a list, everyone gives 2 names for a city, then someone shuffles them(i think there are programs that can do that) at random and everytime we build a city we give it the next name on the list.

Yes bobbyboy I took up all the thread ideas since I was online 4 minutes after ainwood had the forum screated. :goodjob:

Good idea Bobbyboy, although I think that naming them after NBA players is a little exclusive to those who don't follow NBA (especially internationals on this board). Perhaps Dirk Nowitzki should be named since he's been the star of the Mavericks team for over a decade, but I think that should be it for NBA players to be named (or you can argue for Jason Terry to be named since he's been playing for a while). I think that "mavericks" as in people like palin might be the better idea since they're more well known.

I wouldn't name it "Home", "pigs" etc. since it just seems to be a bit more non-creative.

Aline - that's fine but we have to get the list first.

Of course since its MP we could probably use this "strategically", like calling a junk tundra city "GP farm".

ROFLMFAO!!

I like that deception, however I was thinking along something a little more deceptive.

Say for example, we start with a Red leader like Catherine. What we do then, is re-name all our Russian cities into the same name & order as though we were another red leader (The Jap!).

It can be quite easy to make a mistake when your looking at red-coloured territories with all famouse Jap cities. Of course, they may wise up when our UU shows up as a cossack, instead of a Sammouri, but that's their problem to figure out :p

IMHO i doubt that would work, after all the game will last very long and there will be many people discussing it, i cant believe no one will notice. ^^

IMHO i doubt that would work, after all the game will last very long and there will be many people discussing it, i cant believe no one will notice. ^^

Albert Einstein once said, "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but I'm not sure about the universe." Who knows...it might work :crazyeye:

Personally I like the idea of deceptive city names, especially if we could come up with some system for one thing meaning another...although as for how I have no suggestions. ;)

Albert Einstein once said, "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but I'm not sure about the universe." Who knows...it might work :crazyeye:

Personally I like the idea of deceptive city names, especially if we could come up with some system for one thing meaning another...although as for how I have no suggestions. ;)

Make sure we dont become confused ouerselfs...

Make sure we dont become confused ouerselfs...

True. To avoid that we should just have a "City" thread...keeps track of all our cities (GPT, beakers, GPP, Culture, etc.)

ROFLMFAO!!

I like that deception, however I was thinking along something a little more deceptive.

Say for example, we start with a Red leader like Catherine. What we do then, is re-name all our Russian cities into the same name & order as though we were another red leader (The Jap!).

It can be quite easy to make a mistake when your looking at red-coloured territories with all famouse Jap cities. Of course, they may wise up when our UU shows up as a cossack, instead of a Sammouri, but that's their problem to figure out :p

That would work really well if we were playing with 18 civilizations. Unfortunately, with only a third as many teams, I think that at least one person on each team will figure out who we are. :lol:

I think we should decide on what civ to play, and then start naming cities according to some scheme from that civ. Makes for a more fun and immersive playing experience IMO. :)

I just like the idea of BUG mod telling the other players "Team Mavericks has founded Ten Gold, two Irrigated corn city in a distant land". Or we cound found "Iron city" before anyone's near IW. Or "Blocker city" before our opponents have found our land, I'm sure that there will be lots of ways to do this, if we so choose, to ensure that hilarity and/or confusion will ensue...

Indeed, if we decide to ignore something like TGLH, we can indeed name a coastal city that to throw opponents for a loop.

I just like the idea of BUG mod telling the other players "Team Mavericks has founded Ten Gold, two Irrigated corn city in a distant land". Or we cound found "Iron city" before anyone's near IW. Or "Blocker city" before our opponents have found our land, I'm sure that there will be lots of ways to do this, if we so choose, to ensure that hilarity and/or confusion will ensue...

Yeah this could be good, and confusing, I'm for this idea! Also I think we could name capitol Dallas, since we are Mavericks, and originate from Dallas!

If we go with Dallas, then our starting warrior should be Bobby Ewing :p

Call me old-fashioned, but I find all this talk about deception quite deterring. What fun is there to abuse features of the game to throw misdirection?

Dallas sounds great though. :goodjob:

Deception is a major component of good warfare. You may want to pick up the warmongers bible by Sun Tzu. It's a few thousand years old, but still holds valid to this day.

Or naming a city "2corn 5gold" or "this city is building the Pyramids".

For the record, I believe cities have a 15 character limit. We could also name them random characters like !%(%@%&^~#@&&*! just to really annoy them until they put down their own marker labels :p

I really like the deception thing, I would bet that at least one team would fall for it.

If we're sticking with Team Maverick as a name, our units could be named after Dallas players, present and past.

Sorry if I'm daft (eh, not really sorry) but what sports is this Dallas Mavericks team? Some weird US-only sports like baseball or that rugby-like thing called "football"? :p

Hahaha, Niklas apply for who wants to be millionare and when you get this question call me:)

Top Bottom