Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leoreth, could you please say which python-files you edited for the new unit (Phoenicia) and Buildings? If you have to look in all files, you don't have to, but if you easily can say it, it can save me a lot of time.

So lately I've had alittle more time and thanks to my ISP screwing up unlimited downloads, so yea I thought I'd give this mod a go...

I've run up about 6 Mayan marathon starts and not one of them has Taoism founded in China. More to the point - every game Babylon has founded a religion (usually Taoism, sometimes Christianity).

Has much thought gone into getting marathon speed to be abit more...normal ?

Anyway...some thoughts

Aztecs
- Enslavement gives a military unit not a worker (kill a musketman - chance for Aztecs to get a mustketman unit)

Babylonians
- Power of law = no help
- Something to increase worker speed ?

China - I've always felt their UHV and UP don't really do that good a job of representing them. They're too militaristic focused to me.
- The silk road - all luxury resources yield +3 commerce
- UHV1 - Obtain half the worlds gold in 700 AD
- UHV2 - Control central asia in 800 AD
- UHV3 - Obtain 4 golden ages before 1750 AD
- UB - Confucan Academy (Replaces Courthhouse, decreases maintainence, increased GP birth rate)

England
The new UP is basically a free courthouse in every city (which could be acheived by a new UB)...What about an increase in production from trade (ie model English shipping raw materials to England, to be turned into goods). Turns London into one of the best cities in the world too (more population = more trade = more production)

Inca - Don't really like having two UHV's that are basically the same goal at different dates. I'd like to see afew native cities spawn in S.America for the Incans to conquer too...
- Power of the Tambo - Units can travel through mountains, can build roads on mountains
- UHV1 - Connect all Incan cities with roads by 1480 AD
- UHV2 - Control the Pacific coast of South America in 1550 AD
- UHV3 - Have 3000 gold in 1700 AD
- UB - Terrace - All mountain tiles +2 food, +1 production

Japan - Anyway else feel they should get most of their advantages just intime for WWII ?
- UU - Zero (Replaces fighter, Bonus against all other aircraft, bombard more effective)
- UB - Manufacturing plant (Increased production of Air units, Armored Units, Helicopter units, Naval Units)

Wake me up, when September starts,

or "Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated". :D

Well, as you see, I'm back. I'm really sorry that I've been away for so long, but the last few months really had it for me. I moved to another flat, had to do my exams, and enjoying the summer took its toll as well.

In short, was has been intended to be a short pause became several weeks, and I suddenly realised how long I haven't been to CivFanatics. That strange feeling of guilt when you know you probably disappointed some people kept me away for another few days.

But that's over now, the project is not dead and will be resumed. Sadly, my modding knowledge is somewhat rusty and I've no idea what I planned to do next (aside from converting everything to the latest RFC version), so it may take some time, but I'll start right then.

I will now go through the thread and try to respond to everything of current importance that was written in my absence.

Stop playing the game of life, its for wimps

But it has better graphics and needs no hardware upgrades :D

Feedback forthcoming.

Okay, first my replies to all issues I've filtered out of this thread, in no particular order.

Temple of Solomon
Will be changed. Both Salomon and Solomon are possible transliterations of that name, but in German "Salomon" is usually preferred. I didn't doublecheck that for English.

Independent Kyiv in Ukraine
Is still in consideration.

The Bangkok issue
Balancing still demands that the Khmer start at a coastal tile. I'm however thinking about moving their spawn to the Phnom Penh tile (and move the ressources aroung accordingly) or rename Bangkok to Phnom Penh (they are close enough to allow that kind of stretch). I'm not happy with a Thai capital, either.

Varietas Delectat
I'm not sure about adding this. Aside from the obvious advantage, it also would have many downsides, namely increased download size and reduced quality (not everyone likes all usermade graphics). I'd like to hear your opinion about it.

Topkapi Palace
I've mainly included this to allow for a greater variety of Muslim wonders, because Islam has lost many options after the adding of religious requirements. The Alhambra would have been great, too, but sadly there is no appropriate 3D graphic for it available (I personally find the one used in RFCE quite lacking).

The Vikings sailing to America
It IS definitely possible to do this before Astronomy. You have to do more than build a galley and set sails for Vinland, though. I don't want to spoil your fun figuring it out, but always have in mind from where the real Vikings started :)

Missing lines of code
Civ king, I think it was you who reminded me of certain lines missing in Ressources.py. They are indeed not there, but before I readd them, from which version of RFC do you figure that they should be there? Just so I can trace back the reason why I don't have them.

No spies from courthouses
I've removed several spy slots from buildings, mainly because I noticed that modern cities allow way too many. That this cripples any serious attempt to do espionage in classical times is true, though. I think they will return.

Conferences are gone
I didn't tackle them, so I wonder what might be causing this. Has everyone noticed this phenomenon, and does it happen in every game?

State Church
It's certainly not good that the AI seems to ignore it, and you might be on the right trail in that the happiness bonus is unnecessary in most situations, especially when combined with Monarchy. In my eyes, State Church should have more synergy with Monarchy, while Theocracy should synergize with Patriarchate (this should be true for the player as well). I'll wrap my mind around how to achieve that.

The Greek UHV
jammerculture, could you please outline your problems with the Greek UHV again? It is winnable, me and others have already done it, but that doesn't mean that there are no bugs.

England's extra settler
The settler was meant to compensate them for losing Inverness/Edinburgh, which normally didn't contain a longbow, so I left it at that.

The new civics and stability
First, thanks to Cethegus for providing quick help with the stability system via Python. I think I documented the code quite well, but still not everyone can "read" Python or even knows where to look. So I think I'll write a little guide on how civic+civic and civic+tech combinations affect your stability. This is probably the first thing I'll do, because I somehow feel like it ;)

Fort Detroit and the American spawn
Thanks for the multicolored maps. I would have believed you anyway, but they are still nice to look at :)
Seriously though, you have a valid point, it's no great effort to realise it and I don't think it'll hurt the game. So consider it done ;)

Phoenicia/Carthage in Southern Spain
Well, as already pointed out, I fear that this will only confuse the AI. AI Phoenicia doesn't go for the Iberian peninsula all that often, so it's even not really necessary in most games. And if the human player wants to keep this Carthago Nova, he can always refuse the flip and fight for it.

Phoenicia's UP
I never intended to let them have the old Carthaginian one, but somehow it stuck. Your suggestions are very good, although they both need to be toned down, especially considering that the Phoenician UB already gives +1 trade route. I was thinking along the lines of "+50% commerce from trade routes". Let's see what works best.

China's UHV
I always like to be surprised, but I consider that one to be unwinnable as well. I've already changed Taoism to Code of Laws so that you can get the religion and much needed courthouses in one step, but now I doubt if it was really all that helpful. Needing to get three expensive medieval techs way before 1000 AD is definitely too rough. So you can expect some attempt at rebalancing in my next version.
By the way, I also don't like the "never lose a city to barbarians" condition. It's almost a corollary to the religious condition, because if you screw up enough to lose a city, you'll never make it in time. I like the suggested idea of having a "Have X golden ages before 1850 AD" condition instead, as it synchs up nicely with the rest of the game (or can be completed later, if necessary) and is quite historical.

Upgrade to the final patch of RFC
I'll again use embryodead's Epic/Marathon mod as base of my merging, so this will also include his rebalancing for those two speed types. As it is mostly merging all files and sorting out where to copy Rhye's changes, this is not all that complicated. Going through Rhye's patchnotes again, though, there were some points where this modmod is not entirely compatible or his changes have to be adapted to my different circumstances:
  • I personally like my "impassable cape" solution for the workboat exploit more than Rhye's new rule, so workboats will be able to leave cultural borders, and capes will stay blocked.
  • His changes to the Netherlands won't apply due to their new starting date
  • Mongolia's tech and unit changes will be taken over, but probably need to be rebalanced because their UP in DoC is more powerful than in standard RFC.
  • Despite their new position, Vikings will still get their unit spawns

The broken download link
... has changed to another host, so the download should work again.

Welcome back, Leoreth! :king:

Leoreth, in the old RFCMarathon version that you merged in, conferences and embassies are kind of broken on Epic/Marathon speed, and resarch rate is completely, utterly broken on all speeds. If you upgrade to latest version of RFCMarathon, it will resolve all these issues, and it is also updated to latest version of RFC, so that's 2 in 1, although please wait 1-2 days, conferences is something I discovered just last week and will post a fix shortly.

@Baldyr:
Thanks! I see you have been very busy the last months :)

@embryodead:
Thanks for your hint regarding conferences and embassies, that explains a lot. Then I'll wait a few days and spend them fixing one of DoC's internal issues. Judging from my above list, that seems to be enough :D

Well, glad to see this mod is back on the rails.

Great to see you're back on this Leoreth.
The Rev posted a patch that changed Daoism back to being founding with calendar and I suggest sticking with that. China rarely seems to be the first to get code of laws but usually goes for calendar. IMO, those plantations are a lot more important to get before the courthouses too.

I've meditated about the Chinese problem a bit, and you're right, Taoism should return back to Calendar.

For the tight timeline, two solutions present itself:

1) Move Confucian Academy to Civil Service, so that you don't have to research Paper anymore.
2) Extending the deadline to 1100 AD to give you ten more turns.

Where option (1) would have the drawback that this would mean a really early university for China.

Oh, by the way: The Rev, if you're still active here, I'll be glad to hear what solution you had in mind for the Classical Mediterranean wonders and how you planned to implement it. The repercussions of my marble workaround are quite undesirable, especially for Egypt and Babylonia.

I've just finished a quite exhaustive guide to the stability effects of my new civics.

That was a good idea overall, because I've also found a small bug in the great depression code :)

The guide will from now on be included into future releases of this modmod.

Excellent! I think more mods, should create stability charts *cough*Sword of Islam*cough* ;)

But I still think that you should replace Daoism with Confucianism, and instead have a Daoist Shrine which you can build, because having Daoism spread to Korea, Mogolia, Japan and Khmer, is too too unhistorical, and it can be EASILY avoidable.

Well, Sword of Islam already has its province system, which I think is a HUGE improvement from RFC's expansion stability system.

It's just a convenience for people who don't get along with Python at all, everyone else can easily spy into the Stability.py file. Maybe you can spare embryodead some work and parse his Python code into a readable document? Because I don't want him to waste his time on that at the moment, with RFC Epic/Marathon still waiting for an update :D

Embryodead is legit, and so is the province idea. Incorporating that into DoC would be hard, and a lot of work, but I think it'd really pay off.

resources were added in the final RFC version

Ah, thanks. Then they will merge themselves in without my doing :)

I don't know if a province system would benefit RFC. At least it would mean a fundamental change in gameplay, and I think that's a step too far for me. Although I've already thought about displaying tile stability on a tooltip ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom