Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Leoreth
I have to agree with you again, if I were you I would do two things:
1. Add barbs in the waters of Somalia and Indonesia/Malaysia area set to come around 2000AD
2. I think something which would appease everybody, is adding a few more "events", where in one city (if it has a lot of unhappiness), and event can come up saying a building was blown up, here are your options....
And those options can be similar to the slave uprising event, or you can pick your own, up to you

Ugh, do we really need those terrorism thingies? What do they add?

I don't see much point in adding something that starts affecting the game in the 2000's, because people rarely play until that date.

A new event might be interesting, but I could imagine many events that would be interesting ;)

I've just uploaded version 1.5 of the modmod, containing the long promised upgrade to RFC 1.187 and RFCMarathon 1.2. Short, yet complete feature list:
Spoiler :
  • Upgrade to the latest patch of RFC (BtS v1.187)
    For a list of features, see the dedicated RFC thread
  • Upgrade to the latest version of RFC Epic/Marathon (version 1.2). This includes:
    • optimized loading times
    • disabled autosave during autoplay
    • a fixed Congress system
    • rebalancing for research times
  • Individual "Dawn of Man" texts have been added for each civilization
  • Fixed a bug in the diplomatic advisor screen
  • Catholic and Protestant buildings now have appropriate buttons

Available, of course, at the usual place.

Great. :D You should include the earlier mini-patch's data in the 1.5 information, too.

Changelog:
Spoiler :
  • spelling of "Temple of Solomon" corrected
  • excluded Detroit / Fort Détroit from the American spawn area
  • Taoism is now founded by Calendar again
  • removed a bug that prevented you from stopping a great depression by switching away from Capitalism
  • China's first UHV condition now works as intended
  • removed a bug from Phoenicia's unique names
  • lowered China's research costs for classical and ancient era by roughly 10%, to help with their UHV
  • Khmer now spawn at Angkor again (but one tile south of RFC's Angkor and thus still at sea)
  • independent Kyiv spawns in 900 AD with 2 longbowmen
  • courthouses now give a spy slot again

Actually, I've smuggled them into the 1.4 patchnotes. There's never been anything wrong with 1.4 ... *hypnotic voice* :p

Alright, I'll take your word for it. :D Are you still going to do changes to the Protestant/Catholic buildings in the future? So that their only difference isn't name and upper-left corner of their button picture?

By the way, didn't your modmod include the "Replaced by ___" building info before the newest patch? It's not there anymore.

PS: What's the current line of succession for German leaderheads? You have five of them currently, Francis I, Frederick Barbossa, Civ4 Frederick, Charles V and Bismarck. Also, Haile Selassie still misses his LH button and Mongkut misses both the button and the graphics. Didn't Mongkut have them earlier?

Currently, the German leaderheads are Charles V, Frederick the Great and Bismarck.

All the others are basically artifacts that are reserved for later use. Should there ever be a split of Germany into HRE and Prussia (I should stop talking about that), it was intended to change the leaderheads into Frederick Barbarossa -> Charles V -> Francis I for HRE and Frederick -> Bismarck for Prussia.

Mongkut is basically a victim of me trying to get rid of some of his graphical weirdnesses (he gets pink eyelids sometimes), and currently has no graphics as a result (I should remove his XML so he doesn't show up in the Civilopedia anymore).

And Haile will get a button, too (thanks for noticing). We don't want to repeat the Abu Bakr fiasco :)

What do you mean by the "replaced by" tags? Is it for unique units/buildings? If so, it's a change that happened with Rhye's patch, not mine.

I don't think I will change the missionary / religious buildings buttons any further. I'm terrible at drawing buttons, and I don't know how to visibly distinguish a Protestant from a Catholic building.

An unrelated request
Everyone playing this modmod would really help me fixing its problems in activating Python exceptions. To do so, open the _Civ4Config file in your BtS folder and search for the line "HidePythonExceptions". Then set the number after it to 0, so that it reads:
Code:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0
Now everytime an error occures, there will be a window that reports the line of code causing it. Posting screenshots of these here will be very helpful for me, especially because:
a.) there are errors that apply to hidden game features (like stability) and could go unnoticed otherwise.
b.) I'm looking for a particular bug that seems to be connected to the individual GP names feature, however, I've only see it coming up during autoplay so far (and it's difficult to see what has happened to cause it). So "hopefully", someone will encounter it during his actual game so I can figure out what's going on.

A little update: Hitler, Franco, Petain, Chiang Kai-shek and Pol Pot have just been added as this modmod's leaderheads. If someone has noticed a pattern here: yes, there will be dynamic leaderhead changes for specific civics. :)

I plan for some civs to have a special leaderhead as long as they're fascist and/or communist.

For this reason, I also plan to add Nicholas II for Russia and Cixi for China to make Mao and Stalin only appear when their countries run communism.

Other than that, I've also downloaded a nice new leaderhead for Maria II of Portugal, as well as Vittorio Emmanuele and Benito Mussolini. Make of that what you will ;)

Those should be interesting. I'm guessing that when Rome dies, it'll come back as Italy?

That's the plan. Giving them an own UU and UB will be no problem (any suggestions?), though I'm still trying to figure out how to implement their own UP and UHV as elegantly as possible.

Once Italy works, the concept could be expanded to many other civilizations.

So you would essentially be adding new modern civs like italy with completely new uhv and all? That would be interesting to be able to play, although I wonder how crowded it might get in the end.

There will be no additional civ slots (Rome can't be around when Italy is etc.), so it won't be no more crowded than usual RFC with all civs respawned.

I'm currently toying with Japan's spawn date as well; from what I've gathered from a few cursory wikipedia readings, there's a rather continuus formation of a Japanese central government, so finding an appropriate spawn date is difficult.

Is there somebody with deeper knowledge on that topic who can point me at some viable dates? Rhye used Jimmu becoming emperor, but that's almost certainly myth and Japan was far from a unified state at that point. But I also don't want to delay them as late as the Tokugawa period. Does the beginning of the Heian period make sense from a historical perspective?

UU: Maybe a battleship (inspired by the Littorio) with +2 strenght and -1 movement? (representing the serious lack of oil)
UB: Parco Industriale: industrial park but remove all of the unhealthiness and give it a +10% hammer or instead of security bureau :party Headquarter : gives +1/2 stability and a free spy.
UP: power of fallback? attacking units have a 25% withdrawal rate. (or maybe Power of the Duce: You have +10 stability but are extra vulnerable for the unit kill/lose ratio stability decreasement.)
UHV :be the first to adopt fascism(totalitarianism) ,secure Libya and Abyssinia by 1936, have a stable stability in 1950 (representing the italian economic boom)

I know these are pretty much one-sided :/ but Im just giving ideas:p

UU: Maybe a battleship (inspired by the Littorio) with +2 strenght and -1 movement? (representing the serious lack of oil)
Might be possible. Do you know how the Littorio class compared to contemporary battleships?
UB: Parco Industriale: industrial park but remove all of the unhealthiness and give it a +10% hammer or instead of security bureau :party Headquarter : gives +1/2 stability and a free spy.
I was toying with the idea of using an Opera House as Theatre replacement, but those ideas are good as well.
UP: power of fallback? attacking units have a 25% withdrawal rate. (or maybe Power of the Duce: You have +10 stability but are extra vulnerable for the unit kill/lose ratio stability decreasement.)
Oh my, I fear the first idea would only lead to "Want to sell Italian machinegun, never used, only dropped once" jokes ;) And I don't want a UP directly related to fascist Italy. Maybe something related to the Italian cultural heritage?
UHV :be the first to adopt fascism(totalitarianism) ,secure Libya and Abyssinia by 1936, have a stable stability in 1950 (representing the italian economic boom)
Yeah, I thought along the same lines:
1. Be the first to discover Fascism, Radio (Marconi) and Fission (Fermi) - which might be too difficult for a 1861 AD spawn.
2. Control Greece, Libya and Ethiopia by 1940 AD.
3. Something culture-related? I'd like to have something for post-WW2 Italy, in any case, to not have that era go unrepresented.

I know these are pretty much one-sided :/ but Im just giving ideas:p
Every idea is helpful, thanks :)

That said, having a reborn civ represent a "new" civilization requires rather extensive adaptions of the code, so I'm already happy when Rome returns as Italy at the right date ;)

I'm feeling the renaissance. Something related to great people. Maybe artists give science as well as culture? Or UB could be Davinci's workshop, or similar, an extra culture university? Or how about victory condition = birth x number of great people by such and such a date.

Quick question. Will this new civ be playable? Howso?

Littorio Actually according to wikipedia and to my knowledge it was the first ship wich passed the 35k tons limit ( determined in the Washington treaty 1922, the ship was 36k tn) and is in the ranks of the more successfull Italian battleships and even the British were afraid of it.

This is a very interesting discussion. I hope I won't break up what you guys are discussing.

I have some ideas about stability, most of which arise from my failure to play rfc in general :mischief:.

-How difficult would it be to include an in-game tile stability revealing feature such as the one in RFC rand? Would help noobs like me out with city placement.

-I know a city like Guangzhou (coastal, south eastern China) is a bad place for Japan to expand to. But if I founded a city there (3000 BC start, when I saw the spot ~700AD the city had already been razed), and manage to control my empire's stability for next 500 years, I feel like the negative effects on my stability due to my Guangzhou should at least be lowered. I feel this would make empire-building more historical and open up many more strategic gameplay options. Would it be possible to make "red" areas on stability maps be highly unstable when first acquired (more unhappiness in city, lower stability in empire, and are more prone to negative bandits/armed rebel movements/terrorists random events) but if the same owner is retained for a set number of turns (depending on game speed) without revolts and civil disorder, stability will start to rise to "orange." Perhaps eventually after a long, long time even become "yellow." Of course, exceptions will be made (Paris will never become "yellow" for Indians no longer how long they control the city).

- If the previous idea doesn't work out, would it be possible to include dynamic tile stability ratings? Ethiopian lands would be "red" for Rome prior to 1800AD , but slowly start becoming more "orange," maybe even "yellow" by WWII.

Power of Heritage/Legacy: Each Great Person gives +2 culture/turn./Each city has +10 culture/turn. or maybe its a bit extreme but : You are able to "hurry" units with culture.
Power of the Unification: No maintance cost and stability decreasement for cities in Europe.

3rd UHV: By 1960 control 15 obsolated wonders. The problem with this is the too much dependence on autoplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom