Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: a WB'ed in Apostolic Palace still doesn't move the holy city with the new code. I'm too lazy to build it myself, and all of the four 3000 BC Mongol starts I got had Catholicism razed or landlocked in Gordion :(

Did you try hurrying it with Great Engineers? That counts as building, as far as Python goes.

This is a great modmod (I've actually started a story with it- here's the link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=363312

There's just two problems that I have found:

1. If I adopt Pantheon or Secularism, I keep my state religion and can adopt another one.

2. If I am a European civ without a state religion, I can still embrace the Reformation. I get the gold but do not convert to Protestantism. I don't know if this applies to other civs, but I suspect it is because I had Catholic cities and buildings in my empire. This has happened with England and Portugal.

Also, a few suggestions.

1. You might want to create an advanced swordsman (like a maceman but with a city-attack bonus instead of a melee bonus). This would simulate the use of swords along with pikes as the age of cavalry was waning but the rise of guns had not begun. After all, this tactical innovation made Spain the foremost military power of the world.

2. You might want to make a Catholic shrine other than the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, such as RFCE's St. Peter's Basilica, as historically it makes more sense (our catholic churches mainly donate to the Pope and the Vatican, not to some church in the Middle East that happens to be on top of Jesus's birthplace). This church would go in Rome. This would help the colonial powers support their empires due to the increase in income. It might also cause more wars since Rome will look more valuable.

interestingly, even spellcheck thinks macemen aren't historically accurate. Swordsmen is a word, but Macemen isn't :lol:!

Did you try hurrying it with Great Engineers? That counts as building, as far as Python goes.
Good idea, that's what I'm doing now. Thanks :)

This is a great modmod (I've actually started a story with it
Cool! I'm going to follow your Spanish Empire :)

1. If I adopt Pantheon or Secularism, I keep my state religion and can adopt another one.
I've also noticed that. And it's driving me crazy, because Secularism is 100% Free Religion, just with a new name.

2. If I am a European civ without a state religion, I can still embrace the Reformation. I get the gold but do not convert to Protestantism. I don't know if this applies to other civs, but I suspect it is because I had Catholic cities and buildings in my empire. This has happened with England and Portugal.
You can blame Panopticon for that :mischief: Seriously, I'll take a look into it. Maybe the code only checks if Catholicism is the current state religion, even when civics like Secularism are active.

1. You might want to create an advanced swordsman (like a maceman but with a city-attack bonus instead of a melee bonus). This would simulate the use of swords along with pikes as the age of cavalry was waning but the rise of guns had not begun. After all, this tactical innovation made Spain the foremost military power of the world.
Macemen are dull. I'm thinking of replacing them with the Longswordsmen from RFCE. The only problem is that they're looking very European and would seem odd for Eastern civs.

2. You might want to make a Catholic shrine other than the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, such as RFCE's St. Peter's Basilica, as historically it makes more sense (our catholic churches mainly donate to the Pope and the Vatican, not to some church in the Middle East that happens to be on top of Jesus's birthplace). This church would go in Rome. This would help the colonial powers support their empires due to the increase in income. It might also cause more wars since Rome will look more valuable.
Well, St. Peter's Basilica is essentially the Apostolic Palace. With its holy-city-reallocation there should be enough incentive to get Rome.

Edit: Did some fixing and testing, with the following results:

- Holy City reallocation via Apostolic Palace works
- Apostolic Palace now requires Catholic state religion
- Pantheon (tested) and Secularism (not tested) should now have no state religion as planned
- several other civics have the "no state religion" tag, but without effect. Don't know what that means.
- all planned v1.2 changes are done
- I'm tired now and have to sleep
- Upload tomorrow :)

Macemen are dull. I'm thinking of replacing them with the Longswordsmen from RFCE. The only problem is that they're looking very European and would seem odd for Eastern civs.

Have you ever played Varietas Delectat? Most Macemen in it are heavy infantry with a sword or scimitar. It shouldn't be too hard to create a unit with localized graphics, though I've never tried it myself. I'll take a look around the Varietas Delectat files in the downloads section tomorrow.

And I'll be damned if I see someone defend an Arabian Maceman over Scimitarman! :(

- Holy City reallocation via Apostolic Palace works
Awesome! :D

I have renamed it RFCDawnofCivilization, because I renamed it with spaces, and nothing happened. What else could be the problem, and when I go to the scenarios screen on Single Player, it doesn't have the 600 AD and 3000 BC starts, could someone give me some advice?

I have renamed it RFCDawnofCivilization, because I renamed it with spaces, and nothing happened. What else could be the problem, and when I go to the scenarios screen on Single Player, it doesn't have the 600 AD and 3000 BC starts, could someone give me some advice?

Mod scenarios are usually designed to run only with the mod so it's very important your computer won't try searching for the wrong thing by renaming folders.

How to fix it: either rename your folder back to what it was or open the 3000 BC and 600 AD scenarios in a notepad program, go to line 9 (ModPath=) and delete the same spaces you did in the folder name. These two things need to match.

Hope it runs now.

@Larxon: what Cethegus said.
Mods find "their" scenarios by comparing the name of their folder to the mod name in the worldbuilder files. If you change one, they don't match and can't be found anymore.

Have you ever played Varietas Delectat? Most Macemen in it are heavy infantry with a sword or scimitar. It shouldn't be too hard to create a unit with localized graphics, though I've never tried it myself. I'll take a look around the Varietas Delectat files in the downloads section tomorrow.

And I'll be damned if I see someone defend an Arabian Maceman over Scimitarman!
I never played VD, although I've seen many people hold it in high regard. So why stop at Macemen? Merging it into this mod could very well be a project for the next version, it depends on the necessary work.

Although I have adding the "Unique Civ-specific Great People" mod by Gaius Octavius also on my agenda ... :crazyeye:

Version 1.2 is now online!

Changelog:
Spoiler :
  • RFC Marathon modmod by embryodead
    Thanks to the work of embryodead, you are now also able to play this modmod in epic or marathon game speed
    Spawns, events and UHVs of course scale correctly.
  • new UP for Japan: The Power of Honor - unit promotions are available 50% faster
  • new UP for England: The Power of Indirect Rule - city distance maintenance halved
  • The Khmer spawn one tile south at Bang Makok (to help the AI)
  • Corporation redesign: the corporations are now:
    1. Cereal Industry (GM): Wheat, Rice, Corn -> Food
    2. Fishing Industry (GM): Rice, Fish, Crab, Clam -> Food
    3. Oil Industry (GM): Oil -> Gold
    4. Computer Industry (GS): Oil, Copper, Aluminum -> Gold & Research
    5. Textile Industry (GE): Coal, Sheep, Cotton, Silk, Dye -> Gold & Production
    6. Steel Industry (GE): Coal, Copper, Iron, Aluminum -> Production
    7. Luxury Industry (GA): Gems, Gold, Silver -> Gold & Culture
  • new UP for Mongolia: The Power of the Horde - every city captured spawns keshiks according to its size
  • more Keshiks for Mongolia on spawn
  • The Germans now spawn at Wien/Vienna. The coal on this tile was moved onto a hill west of it.
  • fixed Egypt's UP: now allows Monarchy/Serfdom for the same effects as in RFC
  • gave Netherlands some beakers in Astronomy to make them research it faster
  • The Apostolic Palace now requires Catholic state religion
  • The Apostolic Palace moves the Catholic holy city to its city when built. The shrine is not moved.
  • fixed Pantheon and Secularism so that they allow no state religion, as intended.

DOWNLOAD

Problem fixed now, feel free to download :)
(Really this time *g*)

The new version should fix that, though I didn't test it myself. Please report what's happening.

That's not odd, that's just me being stupid. One shouldn't do such things in a hurry :rolleyes:

Currently uploading another fix, called 1.21 for clarification. I hope without any more errors.

Edit: Done.

I just downloaded the newest version and started a game as America to see what would happen. I think there might be something wrong with the founding of Protestantism. When I started, the religion screen said it still hadn't been founded even though clearly someone had achieved printing press by 1775 (and if not, I started with it but didn't found the religion.) I also had a Python Traceback error on the third turn. I'm attaching the save file for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• Roosevelt AD-1775 Turn 346 DoC.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 143
@KaiserBenjamin:
I'll investigate that. Do you have a picture of the python error?

@Berlin issue:
No, it doesn't. We can't even be sure it exists at that point :)

Thanks for the fixes. To people who have trouble loading the mod. What I do is load the mod thru the advanced button.

What I do is load the mod thru the advanced button.
Is there any other possibility to load a mod? Say, RFC?

Is there any other possibility to load a mod? Say, RFC?
I always open the WBS directly. Also, if I wanna load a save I open it directly. (Actually, I usually name my current save "CurrentGam"e and resume playing via a shortcut on the Windows start menu.) I never use the BTS executive to start RFC.

Okay, that's a possibility. But if the map's mod and the name of the mod folder are different, both won't work.

I think I found the reason for the Reformation problem. Currently testing my fix (i.e. waiting for American autoplay).

Edit: Reformation works again. Current version 1.22 available HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom