What is the best tile?

So while a 182 size city has a population of 2.13 billion, a size 183 city has -2.08 billion inhabitants. Size 184 -2.01 billion and so on. I don't fully understand the pattern, since cities with much higher sizes have a positive population again. E.g. a 364 city actually has about 2 billion again (positive), as I now found out. A size 1000 city likewise has around 2 billion. I didn't come across any city size though in which the population exceeded that of a 182 size city, namely 2.13 billion. I obviously didn't go through all the missing 800 city sizes up to 1000 though, so I can't exclude the possibility that maybe somewhere among them the population is indeed higher.

Err surely it's integer overflow; a signed 32-bit int will go from (2^31)-1 to -2^31, which is 2,147,483,647 to -2,147,483,648 [1], so obviously the population would never be higher (or lower).

[1] assuming two's complement, but it doesn't make a lot of difference. :)

So while a 182 size city has a population of 2.13 billion, a size 183 city has -2.08 billion inhabitants. Size 184 -2.01 billion and so on

Looks to me that the maximum value of a 32-bit signed integer variable that stores the city population is reached between pop levels 182 and 183 ;)

Reminds me of my negative high scores in the 16-bit tetris for pc: score would turn negative somewhere past 30K

Gives a whole new meaning to "beating" a game: get a high enough score (or some other numerical metric) that funks up the game's signed binary arithmetic :lol:

Thanks for the explanation. Then size 182 is indeed the largest. We should use a 32-bit system in real life. It sure would solve many global problems if we had a city or two with -2 billion inhabitants. :D

Grassland wet corn is the best for a city, but I'm going with river side gems because gems are a much rarer resource and better for your empire as a whole.

Btw, I don't know why but the lake tiles actually give 7/5/15, so even higher than the previously shown 6/5/14 tiles ;)

That's because there's a trading post and a feitoria in that city.

The best tile is a forested hill deer in BFC to start a game. 5 yeild tile thar

6 yield unless the hill is tundra. The normal start generator won't give you a forested deer in the BFC or near it, nor will it give you a tundra tile.

Top Bottom