a new generation of civ'ers?

Civdude1

Chieftain
I'm 33 years old and have played civ since civ 2. I've just returned to these forums after reading about beyond earth. I used have an old account on here, but I can't remember what it is!

I'm just curious to see if people here think civ 5 has brought about a new generation of civ players. I bought civ 5 when it came out and couldn't get into it. I haven't touched it since its release. I t didn't have that magic feeling the older ones did for me. I understand the game has updated a lot since its arrival, so I assume it has improved a lot.

moving on, just by judging these forums, civ 5 seems to be emmensly popular. Although, I've heard a lot of hate with this game as well. The topic posts have nearly eclipsed civ 4 already. So there must be a lot of interest in the game and the sales figures have been strong.

Are there a lot of old timers still posting here and playing civ5? Have some of you oldies adjusted and found a lot of love for civ5? I really want to be excited about Beyond Earth, but I didn't get along with civ5 lol. I just can't believe how strong its fan base is! Am I missing something?

just some thoughts of mine.

I'm 26 and i've been playing since Civ 1 on Amiga 500. That was 20 years ago so guess how old I was when I started playing :D

It's a great game for kids IMO because if they read the Civilopedia as I did, they can learn so much which will put them miles ahead of their classmates at school as it did for me.

28 here, also playing since Civ 1. I played Civ 1, and especially 2 and 4 obsessively throughout my school and college years.

Never really got into 5 as much, just doesn't seem as engaging. didn't live up to my expectations. But still I sometimes give it a go and it's, well, "ok".

I'm still not really sure whether to blame it on Civ 5 just having worse game mechanics, me being too nostalgic about the old games, or being too busy/stressed being all grown up and stuff and simply too old to enjoy it.

I'm 43 and I pretty much started playing with Civ 4, and now Civ 5 with maybe an hour or 2 on Civ 2 that came bundled with some software (maybe a Windows install or prebuilt system). I prefer Civ 5, personally.

I'm 19 and have been playing Civ since shortly after Civ III came out. I played Civ III and IV to death, but I didn't really treat Civ V the same as the other two. Civ V is... less engrossing. I can't imagine it more than just a game, unlike the others. The others were my own little worlds, but this is just a game board.

I'm also 33 and a Civ player since the original.
5 was just a very bad game.
I hated it, an over simplified insult to the series and I also gave up on it.
Thankfully i gave it another go now it has been radically improved with the expansions.
I'm not sure the players have changed much, more a case of the game coming into line with expectations.

I also played since Civ1 on the Amiga and played every Civ version since then. I'm not sure if Civ5 is more popular with new players or just more successful at bringing older players back.

I've been playing the series for 20 years also, the only game I haven't played being Revelations.

When Civ V was first released, I found it unplayable. However, after a few patches, I really started to enjoy it. Now we've had two expansions and multiple DLC (DLC doesn't add too much to the overall feel), I've found myself playing this game far more than I have any other version - with exception, perhaps, to Civ II (Steam wasn't watching me back then so who knows how many hours I put into that one).

In my opinion, give Civ V another go. Play a few games with different Civs. Each one gives far more flavour than previous versions have allowed, and many more tactics arise from this. It won't take you long to get used to the 1upt either. Yes, it's massively different, but it makes war all the more interesting - at least you're no longer doing the same thing over and over again with each new instalment (FIFA and COD come to mind).

I started with civ II on PS1 a while ago, I can still remember endless roads and railroads covering all the tiles of my France and sending units across the ocean to invade Japan then conquering one city on the shore and stacking tanks in there. It was fun

Thanks for the replies. I might give civ 5 another go if the price ever drops low enough. I might just be over video games in general. I used to love them when I was younger...probably a nostolgic thing.

I'm 52, and I started playing Civ V a few years ago. I never played the previous Civ games.

Been playing for over 20 yrs. Started in college in 93 and a room mate said hey I just copied a game from someone else and lets load it on your computer which was only two floppy discs. That was Civ 1. Been hooked ever since and have the complete Civ 5 series with all DLC's. Love the game.

It relaxes me from the stress from work and being stuck in traffic for hours each week.

I started with Alpha Centauri, which I played for about a decade or longer. Somewhere along the road I played Civ III for a while. Now I play this. Will be playing Beyond Earth when it comes out.

Thanks for the replies. I might give civ 5 another go if the price ever drops low enough. I might just be over video games in general. I used to love them when I was younger...probably a nostolgic thing.

The price is bound to drop again, when the Steam holiday sales roll around.

I started with Civ 3 and I think Civ V is the best. I'm a total 1upt fan. Love the road maintenance. I hate micro.

Should mention I also played the Call To Power games! Who remembers them?

Oh ya. I played the heck out of those. I remember trying to play online with a 56k back I the day! Lol. That was a horrible experience, but enjoyed the single player a lot!

Top Bottom