I take it this mod is dead?

Aleenik

Deity
Just wondering. CIV5 is coming out soon, so maybe the idea could be transferred over there?

that is what i was thinking but i havn't put enough work into the mod to know all the details and bahmo didn't like the idea of just giving up and moving to civ5.

This mod lives or dies based upon whether or not somebody is able to help me figure out what's preventing the XML documents from loading. Right now I'm waiting to appear on Garret's next modcast, so I can broadcast our need to the world.

There is. Garret has had to delay for some reason, and now he may just be waiting for me to talk to him--I haven't been able to because I'm on a trip; this is posted from a hotel PC.

that is what i was thinking but i havn't put enough work into the mod to know all the details and bahmo didn't like the idea of just giving up and moving to civ5.

For the record, it isn't so much that I dislike the idea as that I don't think it's practical. Civ V is a very different game, I have no idea how to mod it, and neither does anyone else except for the people who are developing it. I may eventually buy it, but it isn't a priority when I like the Civ game and its mods that I already have more than enough, and I'm saving up money for Fallout New Vegas and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Also, I am starting to feel regretful that I opted to lead this mod. I thought I could complete things quickly, and I did, but apparently I did them incorrectly. I may be the most industrious member of the mod, but I'm not nearly as learned as some people here. All I know about modding, I know from what they discovered, and that will be true of Civ V if I ever get it, as well; one more reason I'm not getting it immediately. Civ V may stand a better chance of having a modern era mod than Civ IV at this point, but it still will have to wait until its modding community grows to sufficient size.

I have no idea where you got that notion, but it's probably from somebody who didn't know anything about Civ V. Civ IV maps cannot be ported because Civ IV uses a square grid and Civ V uses a hex grid, and mods cannot be ported because of many more such differences.

Edit: Garret since told me there is a way to convert Civ IV maps to be used with Civ V. But that's just maps, and other factors of this mod would still not translate over. Cultural groups replace religions, for example, and religions don't exist in Civ V.

What is the current status of this mod? I might be able to help if you need any XML work or maps, but coding and 3D graphics are out of my league.

Back in the day, this mod had a lot of support and many people were working on files of all sorts. Unfortunately, many of them have dissapeared from the scene for a variety of reasons, and in some cases, their files with them.

What we have is a lot of stuff that is unfinished, as well as some things that don't go with each other's coding. That was what I attempted to address when I took over for Niknaks. I did my best to update files, but much still needs to be done.

My biggest gripe for so long now, has been that the technology infos, which would not load, and gave an XML error that did not explain why. After many, many months of nobody caring, The J finally figured it out for me. Hence, work can resume soon. I am going to look over it within the next few days, and see what needs doing.

Meanwhile, the map was technically completed by Mattygerst, but it uses much outdated information and is thus in need of an overhall. I mean to ask if you know much about editing maps through XML, as without that, we will never get the old map opened. If worse comes to worse, we will need a new map, although some photos exist of the old one, as guidance.

I do know how to edit maps through XML, so if you'll point me to where I can get the file I'll give it a look and see if I can figure out what's wrong (no promises though :)). Does the map have any modified units/buildings/terrain/improvements on it yet, or could I open it (once it works, of course) in regular BTS?

As much as I can recall, the map does not have any new units, buildings, terrains, or improvements; only new leaders, so you may be able to get it open if you edit the XML to reference leaders in the core game, but be warned that the map is large, and has more players than the core game allows, so the Giant Earth Map mod might be your best bet for opening it.

Keep in mind that while I'd love for you to at least get it open so I can look at it, most of the editing will involve things original to the mod. Buildings, religions, units, and leaders are all being overhauled in our mod, so I'd advise against making many changes to the map, considering we will just need to change it again in the mod.

Which version of the mod is current? Is it the one here, or the one here? That first one doesn't load properly, and the version on the SVN is missing a lot of stuff. I'm assuming that the map is the one titled "2009" found here. I loaded that map through the SVN mod (with a few modifications) and it is huge. Too huge for my computer to handle in a timely fashion, in fact, so I'm not going to be able to help edit/test the map. I can help you with some of the other XML work you need, but this project is really ambitious and I don't think I really have the time/patience to volunteer as a member of this team. I'm willing to help out on occasion, but I'm not going to make any commitments I can't keep. Best of luck finishing this.

Edit: Here are some screens of the map. Whoever made it did a really good, thorough job.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 407
  • Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 425
  • Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 372
Which version of the mod is current? Is it the one here, or the one here? That first one doesn't load properly, and the version on the SVN is missing a lot of stuff. I'm assuming that the map is the one titled "2009" found here.

There is, as it turns out, no "current" version of the mod, and I don't think any of the ones dowloadable actually works.

I loaded that map through the SVN mod (with a few modifications) and it is huge. Too huge for my computer to handle in a timely fashion, in fact, so I'm not going to be able to help edit/test the map.

How is your computer, exactly? Because I want to make sure my computer can handle it!

I can help you with some of the other XML work you need, but this project is really ambitious and I don't think I really have the time/patience to volunteer as a member of this team.

Well, thank you. Someone who can only help on occasion is a big step up from nobody ever helping anymore! My advice is to just stay in touch. I'd like to know which areas of XML are your specialty, and then I can start asking for help on certain files. If you can't finish everything you start, that's unfortunate but understandable, just please, reupload whatever you completed so other people can continue where you left off.

Edit: Here are some screens of the map. Whoever made it did a really good, thorough job.

Indeed; I believe it was Genghis Kai and Mattygerst who made the mod, both of whom have unfortunately abandoned the mod since.

By the way, what exactly are those icons above city bars, in the place where you'd normally find religions and corporations? That would be good to know because both religions and corporations are going to be changed for the mod, and I'd like to know just how far anybody has gotten.

How is your computer, exactly? Because I want to make sure my computer can handle it!

I have kind of an old computer, it only has a 1.5 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM. That's a contributing factor to why I'm still with Civ4 and haven't moved on to Civ5 yet.

Well, thank you. Someone who can only help on occasion is a big step up from nobody ever helping anymore! My advice is to just stay in touch. I'd like to know which areas of XML are your specialty, and then I can start asking for help on certain files. If you can't finish everything you start, that's unfortunate but understandable, just please, reupload whatever you completed so other people can continue where you left off.

I don't really have any specialty in XML; I've sort of dabbled with multiple XML files but wouldn't say I'm an expert at modifying any of them in particular. I'll upload the files I modified from the SVN and then you can take a look at where things are and decide what should be done first and I'll see what I can do.

By the way, what exactly are those icons above city bars, in the place where you'd normally find religions and corporations? That would be good to know because both religions and corporations are going to be changed for the mod, and I'd like to know just how far anybody has gotten.

Those icons are the religions and corporations as they now stand. I think the religions have been replaced with "cultures", and I'm willing to bet that most of those are just placeholder symbols, because they don't really relate to the cultures they represent as far as I can tell.

Edit: How exactly should I go about uploading the files I have modified?

I'll take them on Fileplanet, if you can do that. I think I'll be reinstalling BTS on my new system soon, so I can start looking around at what you and The J have done.

Is fileplanet hooked in with that SVN repository, or could I just upload to any site?

I have no idea where you got that notion, but it's probably from somebody who didn't know anything about Civ V. Civ IV maps cannot be ported because Civ IV uses a square grid and Civ V uses a hex grid, and mods cannot be ported because of many more such differences.

Edit: Garret since told me there is a way to convert Civ IV maps to be used with Civ V. But that's just maps, and other factors of this mod would still not translate over. Cultural groups replace religions, for example, and religions don't exist in Civ V.

There is a tool in the released SDK where you can convert maps, but not Mods :dunno:

Top Bottom