Ingame Editor

The next version is in the pipes and should be available within the next couple of days.

In the end I added a horizontal scroll bar to the bottom and changed the code so that, whenever a list should overflow, a new column is added instead. Finally, I moved the players list to the right of the panel : it is not visible by default and you need to scroll a bit to make it appear. This new layout fixes the beforementioned problems and give me the tools I need for more changes. The result is very satisfying and does not hinder the comfortable UI I achieved so far.

Now I am left with some of the new features but they should not be troublesome.

On behalf of Mac Civ 5 players, I thank you, DonQuiche!

The SDK/In-game editor do not exist for the Mac version of the game. This mod is the next best thing. It eliminates the hassle of restarting into Boot Camp, or launching a virtual machine, when all you need is a resource or two.

In fact, it's all around easier to use than Firetuner, and it has a few extra features as well.

I need you!
To find critical bugs...

Someone reported a critical bug that corrupts savegames. I take this very seriously and started to investigate the problem in order to find counter-measures. I already discovered the bug I think caused the issue (reproduction: select a coastal land tile, turn the tile into ocean, save, try to reload) and I am going to prohibit the user to do some changes to prevent this.

However, I would like to be sure there aren't other bugs like that and, for that purpose, I need volunteers to try miscalleneous crazy changes and provide me with clear reproduction steps like those I provided. The methodology is simple : do ONE change, save, try to reload. You should also try to look at oddballs on the units panels and such (ghost units for example).

Since Civ5 tend to hang rather than crashing, I suggest you make your life easier and create a desktop shortcut with one of the following commands (depending on your version of Windows) and assign it the "ctrl+alt+shift+k" shortcut. Note that you will have to alt+tab to another application before you use the shortcut since Civ5 tends to intercept keypresses.
* tskill civ* (XP Home)
* taskkill /f /im civ* (XP Pro)

Just five minutes of your time would be nice, thanks to anyone who will help. :)

@Premier
I actually didn't think about macs while creating this addon but it is a pleasant surprise to learn it is so useful for you. :)

I do say, I desperately need a mod like this and if it is primed and ready to go, I will certainly want to download this. :p

It is already publicly available and running. ;)

Just try to not do illicit changes (such as ocean rather than coast right next to land).

PS : Next version is almost ready, I just didn't have time to work on it.

I miss the Civilization 4 in-game editor system, it's the perfect system to me as I don't like litterly saving the game, reloading my save towards another program that is confusing editing system. I like on-the-fly systems like this as they are more useful and faster that way.

The new version (v4) is finally here ! \o/

Bugfixes :
* Changed the water management to prevent illicit changes that caused savegames corruption. On edition mode, illicit changes will be straightly disabled. On paint mode, you now only have two options ("coasts & lakes" or "oceans") and the tool will automatically adapt (when painting oceans, coasts will be left where they are needed). Finally, when setting a land on water, surrounding ocean tiles will be transformed into coasts.
* The layout can now adjust itself both for lower resolutions (down to 1024 pixels width, through a scrollbar at the bottom) and to support addons that add many new units, resources and such (more columns will be added on the fly).
* The first versions were kinda dirty and could have a slight effect on performances (global variables pollution). This new version obey better practices.
* Many little things here and there.

New features :
* Possible owners for hexes now include city states.
* Spawn units or kill them. New units can also be granted up to nine promotions. Units can belong to any civilization/city state.

I know there are not that many new features. However, many things changed underhood in order to support the automatic layout, to match a better programming model and to give me bricks I can reuse across all parts of the addon, including the future ones.

Update is nice, but I keep getting one tile randomly highlighted 2 south of the founding settler, and on every consecutive turn 2 tiles south of whatever the first highlighted unit is.

downloaded this and some other mods with the ingame mod browser
now they are all listed as download complete
but they arent installed
how do i actually install them?

edit: NM rebootet and now theres an install mods button :)

Update is nice, but I keep getting one tile randomly highlighted 2 south of the founding settler, and on every consecutive turn 2 tiles south of whatever the first highlighted unit is.
Thank you for the report. Does it occur after you closed the editor or while it is still opened ? Does it occur if you load the game and never open the editor ?

Btw, if you do have Firetuner and can check for any logged error, it may really help because I never observed that behaviour. :)

PS : Thanks for the cheers everyone!

Ok, so I just encountered that bug myself and it drove me crazy for ten minutes.
In the end, I deleted the addons and reinstalled only the last version and the problem vanished.

Note that I actually re-installed v5, the next version but I am 99% sure there wasn't a problem with v4 itself.

love the mod:)
actually seems to me its easier to use than the one in C4
a bit annoying that the map doesnt update untill i save/load, but thats not the mod, thats the game, same thing when barb encampments appear, really hard to see them in forrest/jungle untill after a load
guess we can hope they fix that in a patch soon

couple of questions
is it possible to remove the fog initially?
sometimes i just want to pop open the editor to check if its a map i want to play or not;)
also is it possible to add units to the barbarians?

Hello Donlep

Fog removal is already something I want to add for a future version. However, I am unsure whether I can make it reversible or not, I will have to dig this topic.

Regarding the barbarians, it is not yet possible but, again, I do want to add that feature and it may be done for the next version. Barbarians would be added as another civilization in the civilizations lists (units and terrain ownership).

Barbarians are considered a civilization right now. They are always in game as CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN.

Yes, but what I need is the player ID, not the civilization ID. And at the time I designed the players scan code, I didn't encounter them. I am currently adding the possibility to edit existing units and cities, so tomorrow I will seize this opportunity to see what ID is returned for their owners. However, I guess there is no barbarian player, only a special ID, so I may have to import them manually.

PS : Here is the existing code. The barbarians are not among those players :
Code:
for i = 0, GameDefines.MAX_CIV_PLAYERS-1, 1 do
   local row = Players[i];

yep, they are the last player, you can get them with
iBarbarian = GameDefines.MAX_PLAYERS

(MAX_PLAYERS is 64, MAX_CIV_PLAYERS is 63 in current version)

Ah ! Thank you. So there are MAX_PLAYERS + 1 in the game actually. How tricky. I tried that among many changes before but they made the game crash. The additional index was not the culprit, though. But I rushed and cleaned up everything.

Top Bottom