New NESes, ideas, development, etc

You could just save them in different files.

With Paint, it's pretty easy to do all of those things, since there are mini-circles, you can fill in the old lines with the new color, and the third one I have no idea what you're talking about. By now the western American NESers should be on...it's only about dinner time there...

ALRIGHT! I've got PSP figured out, and I made a test map. It worked perfectly! I'm starting to write up the rules and history for the NES now. I'll start the thread when it's finished.

Neo-Nazis don't have enough power, they only control 5% of the vote

Didn't stop Reno, though. ;) I was talking about a NES where a similar situation developed.

Yes. I'm making the story now, there'll be three powers already established, (Atlantis, Ur, and China) then you can make your own nation somewhere in Eurasia or northern Africa. Sorry to those who wanted to be zombie Aztecs or something like that ;), you can start a new nation in the americas when the conditions are right for civilization to grow. Eco. system will be like Kamilian's NES, with a few small changes.

Alright! All I have to do now is the stats for the existing nations, then my NES is ready to go. I'm at school right now, so I estimate that I'll be able to launch it in about 8 hours.

Can anyone dig up GM's old Middle Ages NES? I can't find it...

Thank you!

Okay, I have an Idea for a NES, but it's a bit unusual. it's a pre-programed, Pre-NES NEs. basicly, a set up for a NES I am planing to run sometime in january.

basicly it's to document the spread of human Pre-civilization, and will eventually deivied the known world into a serries of Culture areas, where a piticular culture is domanint. it anyone is inturested, I'll post a basic rule set in a seperate thread.

Not that I would particularly want to run it, but I had a somewhat interesting idea: Team NES. Basically, each country is run by a minimum of two players working as a team. More would make it more interesting, but require a smaller map (fewer "players"). Sort of like SGOTM except for NESing.

Not that I would particularly want to run it, but I had a somewhat interesting idea: Team NES. Basically, each country is run by a minimum of two players working as a team. More would make it more interesting, but require a smaller map (fewer "players"). Sort of like SGOTM except for NESing.

I had a similar idea a while back.

But it was different :/

It would be played over a series of NES's (say three), and each time a team would "win", at the end the of the three Nes's the teams that didn't score at all (or the winner in a case of two rounds for one team), Would be broken up and turned into singal Nations. (so they can still play, just as a single nation)

Oh teams of three.

Okay, I have an Idea for a NES, but it's a bit unusual. it's a pre-programed, Pre-NES NEs. basicly, a set up for a NES I am planing to run sometime in january.

basicly it's to document the spread of human Pre-civilization, and will eventually deivied the known world into a serries of Culture areas, where a piticular culture is domanint. it anyone is inturested, I'll post a basic rule set in a seperate thread.

Sounds interesting. Perhaps you could incorporate the IT-BT system for this?

I was planing to Use a simple 3-stat System(Culture, military, and standard of Living). and 2 simple equations, one detailing the Rate of Expansion (M+(C/2)+2S), and cultural Conflict (M+2C+(S/2)). the NES would last 10 turns, each dealing with 500 years of pre-history, starting in 6000BC, and ending in 1000BC. a cultural area would start with 1/1/1 stat base, and each player can add one point to one of the stats each turn. (hence, the pre-programed part. you only need to send in one set of orders, ever). stats can also be increesed by Stories between the updates.

but I am willing to try another system. tell me where I can find information on this IT-BT systme, and I will look into it.

das said:
Introducing and Developing the Interesting Times Concept.

"May you live in Interesting Times!"
- ancient Chinese curse.

This is a concept on which I hope to base my next NES.

It is based on several assumptions:
- The Fresh Start NESes, in theory, should reach from the 4000/2000 BC to 2005 AD. I am unaware of any such NES achieving this, and yet I would really have loved to see that done.
- The wide majority of NES players like to play in interesting times, when great wars and rebellions erupt, when colonial and other empires are built or ruined, etc, etc. BUT:
- Real history could be divided into "interesting" and "uninteresting times". Lets face it - (much of) 5th century BC is less interesting then, for instance, the short period of 336-323 BC. And yet, by the rules of standard Fresh Start NESes, one turn is supposedly enough to cover 5th century or 4th century alike.
- Thus, for the sake of realism, and, indeed, interest, it would have been better to spend more turns on short, but INTERESTING periods of time and less turns on long, but UNINTERESTING periods of time.

This is rather similar to an idea of EQ's and Warman's that unfortunately in both cases died somewhere in the second part (if memory doesn't betray me). This also, however, takes a lot from the idea of Plexus which he, too, never really carried out, and which was expanded upon by North King, who did the history to 1500 AD and then killed the NES for the lack of orders.

So, what is my plan?

A Fresh Start NES (okay, I will change a lot from your average Fresh Start, for example with features like "Civilized Zones", with my own NES2 rules (that will probably undergo large changes, if indeed I will actually keep a brick on brick again)), i.e. you create your own civilization, hopefully historical for that time or original, don't care too much as long as it is realistic and as long as you can plausibly explain how did it come to be. After the civilizations are created, I write the history (taking into account your cultures and your development plans if you send any in, though I will not follow them strictly, as descendants of the first ruler rarely do that) until the first Interesting Time (which will be when the nations are developped enough for the Rise of First Empires, or otherwise for interesting conflicts). Then, the first IT of the NES begins, which is like an ordinary NES, only, ofcourse, the time scale will be shorter, 25 years for example. Then, after a set amount of turns, or after the lose of interest (whichever comes first), or if when the set amount runs out there still are major wars/rebellions/world-changing events on, I will again write the history until the next IT.

I hope my explanation is understood. I would like to know if this idea interested anybody, and/or if anybody could offer some more ideas on this, whether in addition to the original ones or in modifying them.

Please note that befor I start, I will have to get rid of the exams (theoretically, by 15th of June, practically, after 3rd because that's when the algebra exam takes place, and that's the only one over which I am worried, as by all indications the other ones - Russian, English, History - will be much more of a walkover), and I will also have to finnish the development of this concept and of my ordinary rules, which need quite some revamping to work for the Fresh Start idea.

Oh, and I forgot to add, you could create new nations at any point in the game, whether by rebellion or in an untaken Civilized Zone, or even elsewhere if you explain why do you think you could do that one.

For the NES itself, see ITNES I. Meh, your system sounds good, perhaps it could be like this - after the pre-history (maybe end it in 1500 BC instead? Makes more sense to me), there is a "BT" period and in 1000 BC the game itself begins.

Btw, what map? Earth?

the map?
Spoiler FallenWorld :

basicly, 2 alien races got into a big fight in earth orbit. for reasons unknown. don't even know the reasons they were in earth orbit in the first place. one side lost, the otherside sterilized all debrie that survived re-entry. they also put a small 300km moon in orbit around our moon(known as "Eye of Luna"), and a series of Relay satilites in orbit around the earth to monitor it.
aditional effect: Minature Ice Age. Ice will be covering about 1/4th of Europe/asia, and will have hit its peak around 3000BC, covering a full 1/3 of Europe (I still haven't marked the map with those boundries.) by 0AD, the Iceage will be over.
the IT-BT system.. VERY NEAT!
I like it a lot. and much more practical then ploding along turn after turn. the culture map will let me.. hmm very inturesting.. and there are a few per-programed events waiting to heppen (some set, some random).

yes, I think I will use it. thanks for the advice. much better then deviding the game into set sections of Turns. and I think I will end the pre-NES to 1500BC. Very nice help Das.

still, this is a few weeks away, even for the pre-NES

Speaking of IT-BT--das, if I did start another NES ( :mischief: ), then I could use it, right?

North King said:
Speaking of IT-BT--das, if I did start another NES ( :mischief: ), then I could use it, right?
Hey, I liked your old one! I was doing well in the old one!

Top Bottom