"Requests" to research in civ.exe...

Yeah I thought that last one would catch your attention...

The trigger seems to be the hardest part in any changes. I would think at random would be the best way to go, that way you don't get all of the techs at the same time, but rather you would get one each turn at random (I like random, it makes the game more fun). Otherwise, any tech discovered by another civ (eliminating the check if a second civ has it... besides you of course) would be a good alternative.

You wouldn't mind another small question of mine, right? What is the deal with the limit on military units? Is there any way to increase it?

This limit is hard-wired in so many places in the code that I can't see any practical way to change it and still make CIV work properly...

You have to realize that every single piece of code looping on all units has a hard-coded instruction like "if X < 128 then ...". So all such occurrences would need to be patched. And I guarantee you that there are tens if not hundreds of such loops in the code. And they should not be confused with city loops, which are also relying on hard-coded conditions "if X < 128"...

Also, the memory to store units data is statically allocated as 12 bytes per unit. As there are 128 units per Civ, and totally 8 Civs (at the same time), this makes a total of 12,288 bytes (almost 30% of the SVE file...). More units would need to consider possible shortages of memory.

Increasing the number of units would also mean to push memory around to make room for the additional units or to use memory in a different place, and thus modify all code references to the UnitData location in memory... Not a small task!

Then you have the multiplicity of "unit counters" or "unit IDs", that were all coded under the assumption that there wouldn't be more than 128 units per Civ, and consequently use signed bytes to represent those counters... The problem with a signed byte is that its highest value is 128. If you need to count more than 128, you need to switch to different data types (unsigned bytes, or shorts, or ...) and of course that would mean plenty of things to change in the code.

In short: there's probably a way to increase this limit, but it is a long, dark, tedious way, with plenty of holes and trees across.

Sweet, that was an idea from my brother. I was hoping it wasn't going to be really hard as my requests lately have been quite difficult. :)

Ooh another request... When a civilization dies can the next civilization of the same color receive all of the technology that it leaves behind? Just thinking that if a civ dies when another has nukes and armors, they don't really stand a chance..

Sorry for double/triple posting, but it is 5 months later, lol.

How do you change building roads on rivers to requiring no technology? On king/emperor it takes me a good deal of time to discover bridge building...

On king and emperor, ais are usually spoiled in a lot of technology, so if you conquer and take their cities then you could eventually take bridge building.

That's not really the idea.. I just want to be able make roads before I have bridge building, and also let the computer do the same. Often times the ai won't make roads on rivers, so maybe this would change that.

Top Bottom