Expansion pack announced - Civilization V: Gods & Kings

This would start a epic flame war on most foruns, but here I think plp will respect your opinion.

I will only say that I disagree.

Believe me when I say I have zero interest in participating in a flame war or contributing to one, but I thought I'd just point out how important learning, education, scientific endeavor is in Jewish thinking, and then point to the proportionally phenomenal contribution that Jewish people have made to scientific advance. I'm not Jewish, just sort of in awe at the accomplishments of a relatively small ethno-religious group.

I don't know as much about the Persian and Islamic contributions, but didn't they basically revolutionize mathematics and astronomy?

Polytheistic Egypt and astronomy? Polytheistic Maya and astronomy?

Not that religion explicitly contributed, but simply that it didn't hinder.

Not that religion explicitly contributed, but simply that it didn't hinder.

Hmm. Until relatively recently, that is.

Maybe "Evolution" should be a tech that introduces science penalties on any civ whose religion includes tenants of monotheism and fundamentalist?

Hmm. Until relatively recently, that is.

Maybe "Evolution" should be a tech that introduces science penalties on any civ whose religion includes tenants of monotheism and fundamentalist?

Sorry, I don't see anything good that can happen from that.

Yes, religion has been and continues to be an important of history but nothing like the way Civ4 implemented religion (i.e., all generic, no differences).

Yes, religion has been and continues to be an important of history but nothing like the way Civ4 implemented religion (i.e., all generic, no differences).

I'm most interested in the promised 'inflection' in world relations when religion recedes and ideologies come to the fore.

The core issue with Civ4, aside from religions being just a win/win gold/happiness balancer for everyone and being fairly generic is that you can play the religion crutch in your diplomatic game for the entire game.

I wonder if there will be a limit on religions possible to found in a game depending on the Size. For example Small 3-4, Standard 4-5, Large 5-6, etc.

Perhaps I don't understand the mechanics well enough, but it seems otherwise everyone will want to found their own religion and there won't be any positive relations of nations with one another and rather another negative bonus against one another (Making is harder for the AI to like someone).

Look what you've done! You should ashamed of yourself, how could you make a poor Moderator take action on such a friendly topic, tsk tsk tsk, son, i'm disappoint.
Moderator Action: Public discussion of moderator actions is not allowed in this forum.

Anybody has a time machine so I coudl go to May and get the expnansion pack early :D

Theodora would not be a good choice for Byzantine ruler, imo. Civ may be needing more female leaders, but at least Wu Zetian ruled far longer than Theodora (who only ruled 1 year, not counting her time as co-empress with Zoe). They should choose Justinian (the most well known Byzantine Emperor), or Basil II (also well-known and accomplished).

Surely Irene if they want a female, Zoe if desperate. Theodora was a non-entity. All Macedonians up to Basil II did pretty well, including the ones who weren't Macedonian (John, Nicephoros). Justinian was arguably a Roman Emperor.

Religion actually helped science for most of its history and in most places,

You mean like burning the Library of Alexandria? or making astronomy that deviated from the (incorrect) orthodoxy a form of heresy? I suppose burning the witches must have lead to all sorts of discoveries, in combustion and pain and stuff.

Religion actually helped science for most of its history and in most places, and is directly responsible for several scientific advances. It's only relatively recently that religion has become sort of the antithesis to scientific progress in people's minds.

Interesting where did you come by that information? Have you ever heard of the Spanish Inquisition? I suppose you feel those mad priests loved innovation? In Christian kingdoms, such as Spain, accusations of heresy and subsequent executions caused many setbacks in scientific research. People in many areas were simply afraid to come forth with something that would go against God's law.

Now under Islam, science was viewed far differently, innovation abounded and scientific research was viewed holistically. So you are right in that many areas research was favored. That is why Islamic nations had more knowledge or were ahead of the game in math, science, medicine, and in the preservation of classical antiquity and studies of earlier cultures, compared to Christian kingdoms. Of course we see this revival of classical antiquity in Spain during the onset of the Reconquista. Although it was a slow process the new world certainly helped to advance the old as time pushed forward. ;)

Interesting where did you come by that information? Have you ever heard of the Spanish Inquisition? I suppose you feel those mad priests loved innovation? In Christian kingdoms, such as Spain, accusations of heresy and subsequent executions caused many setbacks in scientific research. People in many areas were simply afraid to come forth with something that would go against God's law.

Now under Islam, science was viewed far differently, innovation abounded and scientific research was viewed holistically. So you are right in that many areas research was favored. That is why Islamic nations had more knowledge or were ahead of the game in math, science, medicine, and in the preservation of classical antiquity and studies of earlier cultures, compared to Christian kingdoms. Of course we see this revival of classical antiquity in Spain during the onset of the Reconquista. Although it was a slow process the new world certainly helped to advance the old as time pushed forward. ;)

i agree to u about the catholics science restriction but that doesnt apply to the orthodox countrys which were open and were a lot more democratic as there wasnt a pope and the priests werent rich people and werent corrupt like the catholic ones.fo u remember the forgivness papers were the catholics had to pay a lot of money to the priest to forgive his mistakes?in the orthodox states the church many times gave its wealth to save byzantium from an economic crisis .so in my opinion some religions like christianity should be diversed in two parts because of their big differences

Moderator Action: Just a general note, please keep the off-topic discussion to our OT forum, and the history discussion to our World History forum, which are both perfectly functional. :)

Moderator Action: Not entirely sure how the last few posters missed it, but apparently they did. Please cease the off-topic discussion here, and continue it in the linked forums if you must.

Really excited for this Expansion, it's exactly what Civ V needs. Looks to be a pretty decently sized XP too.

I wasn't a fan of espionage in Civ IV, and religion was ok, but wasn't implemented quite as well as it could have been, so I'm interested to see the changes they make to them for V.

I wonder if there will be a limit on religions possible to found in a game depending on the Size. For example Small 3-4, Standard 4-5, Large 5-6, etc.

Perhaps I don't understand the mechanics well enough, but it seems otherwise everyone will want to found their own religion and there won't be any positive relations of nations with one another and rather another negative bonus against one another (Making is harder for the AI to like someone).

Well you have resources to spend if you want to found a religion, so it should be a trade off.

Found my own religion: get the benefits I want (unless someone else grabbed those benefits first)

OR

Follow someone elses religion: get better relationships with them: get the benefits of their religion (which may be the ones I want most): and use my faith for something else.

Expectations are already getting way too high. Stay within the confines of what they announced and don't make it much bigger than it is. History of past Civ expansion packs have shown that.

Top Bottom