Player Personality

garyg

Beer Snob
Do you take on the personality of the Civ your playing?
Certain Civs do lend themselves to certain strategies.
Still does the persona of your leader make guidelines you won't cross even if it would be in your best interest for the win.
I'm playing India right now and I can't bring myself to declare war.
China has a city sitting exposed on my border with coal and gems.
I'm two techs ahead and they don't have iron.
My Cavs and War Elephants are poised and ready but I can't pull the trigger. It would be a quick war, I could take at least my goal and more in one turn. I'm going to try and find some way to make them attack me.
Greece did earlier and I eradicated them so I have no qualms defending myself.
If I was playing the Germans or the Mongols I would show no mercy.

In a way i do because of the traits. The Vikings, for instance, is militaristic and so lends themselves to warmongering. I would not say that my civ makes any direct limits, but sometimes it can increase the chance that I decide to do something. A good example would be that as russians I am more leaning towards communism than with any other civ.

I do, somewhat. When playing the Egyptians I build the Pyramads ASAP and put a temple in every city; ditto Aztecs. When playing the Germans I go for universities and tend to play more aggressively.

Almost every game I play, really. I even take into account who my neighbours are and such. Having the French or India as a neighbour often illicits good relations, but if I'm next to the accursed Zulu, vile Mongols, hated Aztecs, or belligerent Germans, then I tend to treat them with much suspicion.

Reprisal said:
but if I'm next to the accursed Zulu, vile Mongols, hated Aztecs, or belligerent Germans, then I tend to treat them with much suspicion.

i treat everyone with suspicion :mischief:

MrMahk said:
i treat everyone with suspicion :mischief:
Me too! I trusted Ghandi's peaceful reputation with an ROP several months ago and he sneak attacked me. I have NEVER forgiven him for this and have disliked having him for a neighbor ever since. :mad:

I don't, really. I play as the Babylonians, and some games I'll be perfectly content with peace, whereas in others I'll be the big warmonger. ;)

gmaharriet said:
Me too! I trusted Ghandi's peaceful reputation with an ROP several months ago and he sneak attacked me. I have NEVER forgiven him for this and have disliked having him for a neighbor ever since. :mad:

Yeah, it's one thing if you have a neighbor like Tokugawa (I get sneak attacks all the time from him), but in some games I've played 'peaceful' Gandhi is relentless.

Actually, the AI are completely random in every game, which is what makes them so cool. Sure, some civs will usually be the warmonger, or the pacifist... but every now and then you get an odd occurance. Like Ghandi being your worst enemy, for instance... or, as another example, in one of my recent-ish games, Shaka was my best ally!!! :crazyeye: :lol:

I always seem to get along very well with the Mongols, but they're rated as aggressive. Maybe they just like the civs or governments I happen to pick. ;)

Where's the fun in replaying history that has already happened??? The whole magic in this game is rewriting history YOUR way--when I got my hands on Civ1, started up my first game, and saw "the Colossus of London" on my computer screen, I realized I was onto something special. :)

The Mongols as peaceful statesmen. Ghandi as a Middle Age warlord. Germany as the good guys and France as the bad guys. That last one actually happened to me in a recent game; I was the Germans, trying to get along nice with my neighbors, and being constantly invaded by France. In a surprising twist on history, it was GERMANY who built the Maginot Line early in Industrial Times. Seeing this and realizing how I'd turned history all backwards was just classic. :lol:

Make your own history. :king:

Absolutely right there, BasketCase. :) Following the lines of history is BORING!!! :D

Ah, well, Germany and the Zulu have always been the ones who have marched on my cities well before they should have... They always disrupt, but never win of course, and therefore are treated with great suspicion. In the games that I've played, it's been quite easy to see that the aggressiveness trait does have some meaning. In this instance, I meant that if I had a border with the French, Sumerians, and Germans while I was playing the Inca, then I would place an Assaulting Force nearer to the Germans than I would the other two. This is, of course, depending on whether or not my neighbours lack a resource that I have in abundance (iron and horses seem to be the big ones for AA to MA wars) and whether we've ever allied against another threat.

- Rep.

BasketCase said:
saw "the Colossus of London" on my computer screen, I realized I was onto something special. :)

The Mongols as peaceful statesmen. Ghandi as a Middle Age warlord. Germany as the good guys and France as the bad guys. That last one actually happened to me in a recent game; I was the Germans, trying to get along nice with my neighbors, and being constantly invaded by France. In a surprising twist on history, it was GERMANY who built the Maginot Line early in Industrial Times. Seeing this and realizing how I'd turned history all backwards was just classic. :lol:
I enjoy it too, but we have to actually know something about history to appreciate the humor. :lol: :p

I get Shaka as my best ally often, even if the relationship starts out ugly. :) Ditto Alexander, but more so.

It probably depends on the civ you choose. If you choose one with traits Shaka likes, or naturally play using the government Shaka likes (can't remember what it is), then he's more inclined to like you. ;)

Lord Parkin said:
It probably depends on the civ you choose. If you choose one with traits Shaka likes, or naturally play using the government Shaka likes (can't remember what it is), then he's more inclined to like you. ;)
Shaka likes despotism and shuns republic. No wonder I can't get along with him!!! ;)

gmaharriet said:
I trusted Ghandi's peaceful reputation with an ROP several months ago and he sneak attacked me. I have NEVER forgiven him for this and have disliked having him for a neighbor ever since. :mad:
Ghandi seems to sneak me almost every game.

Ghandi likes people in Democracies... but he's got the lowest aggression setting, so I can't see why he'd want to attack you so much... :confused:

A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

Right now I have the Carthaginians as a Land-based Monarchical empire, and have been swarming and destroying the poor Koreans and Egyptians with hordes of Numidian Mercenaries. I'm pretty much on par, bloodthirst wise, with my recurring allies, the Aztecs and Vikings (bad luck for Egypt and Korea to be sandwiched together in the center of the Carthage-Trondheim-Tenochtitlan Triangle...)

But, in the Carthaginian spirit, I am trying to build up more of a naval presence than I usually do (instead of just waiting for specific isolated incidents that call for boats to build them), and having quite a bit of fun with it. Having the Lighthouse helps a lot, of course...

And yes, my long-term goal is to carve out a path to the Romans, and then destroy them. :D

Top Bottom