Sulla's Civilization IV Walkthrough

Shakespeare was writing in iambic pentameter - it's accepted that the normal rules of grammar sometimes take a back seat to artistic requirements.

Victoria, however, is not obligated to follow a particular rhythm.

(shrugs) I can't say that leaving out the word is permissable. Nor can I say with certainty that it's an error. It's very jarring, though.

Melendwyr said:
It's very jarring, though.

Why do I somehow suspect that in RL having a conversation with Queen Victoria would be very jarring as well. She doesn't exactly come across as an easy person to talk to if you know what I mean. The image used in the game seems to convey that same feeling pretty well. ;)

have read up to the end of part 2 and this is an excellent walk thru, so many walk thrus I've seen just tell you what to do period. You show what you did in an actual game and most importantly the whys of what you do...and the are a few oops that I like too my scout finished its turn next to a barbarian which will kill my scout if he chooses to attack - dont know about civ4 yet, but like the barbarian in civ 3 will choose not to attack a scout/worker/settler. I lvoe it.

You are right Sirrian-forgot to go back and correct my post. Funny thing is, by rereading the walkthrough, I picked up on a fifth thing which caught my attention, which is just how close the top 4 players actually are in terms of score. It certainly seems a LOT more difficult for a human player to simply 'break away', even on 'lower' levels.
@Mossmonster. I realise that techs can eventually be traded-which is why I referred specifically to the ancient age-but even THIS restriction will have an ENORMOUS impact, IMO, on how players both select their techs and how much they assign to science more generally.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Good news as well, it was only after his SECOND city that he faced a minor maintenance charge... that is good to know...

-SA

Aussie_Lurker said:
@Mossmonster. I realise that techs can eventually be traded-which is why I referred specifically to the ancient age-but even THIS restriction will have an ENORMOUS impact, IMO, on how players both select their techs and how much they assign to science more generally.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

I was considering this as a possible strategy may be to take advantage of the new more flexible tech tree and not research many of the ancient era techs early in the game when they require considerable effort to learn, but instead to wait. By the time the tech catches up and allows trades they will be farther down the tree and may be able to be acquired in mass by trade from your allies for quite cheap. Depends in great part on how the AI values 'older' vs. 'current' techs.

southafrica said:
Good news as well, it was only after his SECOND city that he faced a minor maintenance charge... that is good to know...
Technically, after his third. Or are you not counting the capital?

Oh I also have to say that, as much as I have loved all the 'Hands-on Previews' from Solver, MarkG, Thunderfall, Civrules and Chieftess, this Walk-through just makes me want this game in ways the previews never did, because it is sooo detailed and in-depth, and makes me understand the features (and what makes them so different from anything we have seen before) so much better!
Once again, truly BRILLIANT WORK Sullla!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Melendwyr said:
Technically, after his third. Or are you not counting the capital?

Yeah, i wasn't counting the capital. Did he mention what size map he was playing on? because it is nice to know that you can have 100 science on 2 cities...

One question though, is there unit maintenance anymore?

-SA

southafrica said:
Yeah, i wasn't counting the capital. Did he mention what size map he was playing on?

He didn't mention anything specifically in the text, but both set-up screens show 'standard' as the map size. :)

@Speaker, @Khaim,

The key factor that's new is that Sulla's religion is creeping into the English cities. Civs that share your religion have a much higher opinion of you. Why not be friends with her, set up some trade routes, swap some techs and know your Southern border is secure. That frees you up face the real enemy, the stronger civs to the North. Why not spend your forces smacking on them instead. :devil:

Besides, did you see the English terrain? Looks pretty nasty. :thumbdown

One issue that jumped out to me was that Sulla is directing the actions of the workers. When I played Civ3 I usually set the workers to automate other than to connect my cities. I got the feeling that Sulla wasn’t directing the workers to show us how it looks as much as an indication of how even worker placement takes a much more strategic role in this game. While some may feel that this “adds” to the micromanagement of the game, due to the fact that there won’t be ICS (at least no without its own cost), I think the game is taken to another strategic level.

Another thing that jumped out to me was that the cites cost not the buildings. I had missed the fact that there are no maintenance cost for buildings. Good news indeed for the builders.

I enjoyed the walkthrough greatly! I look forward to the successive chapters. Thanks for your work and your willingness to address the issues raised.

Hi,

jakswan said:
Very nicely done, although I think you'll be seeing a lot less hits when the game ships.
Not necessarily so. While the tutorial aspect of his walkthrough will be less valuable once most people have the game, it still remains a well-written and exciting report of a complete game of Civ 4, something many people like to read. I know that I will finish reading it, even now that I know I will have the game myself tomorrow morning. I like reading other's game reports, be it Sulla's, Sirian's, from SGs here at CFC or Epic reports from Realms Beyond, so I guess he will still have more than enough hits later. :)

-Kylearan

In civ 3, the AI didnt touch any of my workers until way after 0 AD. I preferred to handle them one by one. I wonder if I'll ever try the automation of workers in civ 4, apparantly it's supposed to be better than civ 3. Better does not mean acceptable though....

Sullla said:
Questions Answered! :)

=====
Terra
=====

Global Map: World Wrap left to right
Huge Oceanic Map: 104 plots wide, 64 plots tall, at "Standard" map size
Bigger than Civ3!!! Terra maps are BIGGER THAN equivalent Civ3 maps of the same sizes!

Simulates Earth: Randomly generated landmasses that roughly simulate Earth's continents!
Old World Start: All civs start in the "Old World", equivalent to Asia-Europe-Africa
New World: The "New World", equivalent of the Americas, will have to be discovered
Third World: Some small landmasses or island chains may be reachable from Old World

Bigger? Bigger. I guess that assumption that Civ4 maps are tiny in comparison flies out the window.

mossmonster said:
Civs that share your religion have a much higher opinion of you. Why not be friends with her, set up some trade routes, swap some techs and know your Southern border is secure.
He has more powerful religious allies to the north. And London will prove to be a very valuable, or dare I say, "great" city......

That frees you up face the real enemy, the stronger civs to the North. Why not spend your forces smacking on them instead.
Taking out the English won't require much effort on Sullla's part and he will still have later military campaign's in the north.

Trust me. ;)

I think one of the things which makes the AI better for automation is the strong link between terrain, resources and terrain improvements. In civ3, you could build a mine almost ANYWHERE-same with farms and roads. Now certain improvements are just no good for certain terrains OR can't be built due to absence of resources-the terrain issue was what made SMAC automation so good too! Also, as roads no longer provide a direct commerce bonus, then roading will more likely be a 'minimalist' approach on automated!
Anyway, bedtime for me now-hopefully part 3 will be up by the time I am ;)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Top Bottom