For the Mod-er Par Excellence - WEATHER?

Nuh Uh

Warlord
Anyone know if this is possible, given that there are four seasonal turns per year?

High latitude N
Always snow (like it is now)

with 5 separations of weather between High latitude N and High latitude S,
such as:

Medium latitude N
Winter (chance of) snow 60%, rain 10%, overcast 20%, clear 10%
Spring (chance of) snow 20%, rain 40%, overcast 20%, clear 20%
Summer (chance of) snow 5%, rain 20%, overcast 20%, clear 55%
Fall (chance of) snow 25%, rain 10%, overcast 40%, clear 25%

Low latitude N
Winter (chance of) snow 40%, rain 25%, overcast 20%, clear 15%
Spring (chance of ) snow 10%, rain 40%, overcast 20%, clear 30%
Summer (chance of) snow 0%, rain 20%, overcast 10%, clear 70%
Fall (chance of) snow 15%, rain 10%, overcast 35%, clear 40%

Middle latitude (Equatorial) Weather - etc.

And with the effects of weather on the tiles something like -
(with halves rounded up, for example .5 = 1):

Snow - costs half movement and half strength to enter, planes and bomber can't enter
Rain - cost half movement to enter, planes and bombers can't enter
Overcast - cost half movement for foot units only, bombers can't enter
Clear - normal

This, or something comparable to it, in order to simulate weather; can it be done for Civ?

If you're willing to pull some SERIOUS amount of work into it, I'd guess this can be modeled in one way or the other using Python.
For example, you can have a set of variables keeping track of the native plot types and then do your math in the beginning of each turn, changing the terrain to copies of their native variants, i.e. you'd have copies of each terrain type for each season. I'm not sure about limiting plane ranges and such, though. Just do a prototype using the Python Class reference. :)
_____
rezaf

This'll be real nice. Reminds me of SMAC a bit. Where it would mention how my factories have shifted the natural rainfall patterns.

And seeing how forests grow back already in Civ 4, it'll be real nice to see the natural world + this weather model all make an interesting experience in the game. It can also give a second thought to enviroment damage with pollution, so as it doesn't just affect health factors, but effects the world itself.

Very good, full support.

It wouldn't be entirely realistic since each turn is at the very least one full year. But it would be cool to see! And the game isn't temporally realistic anyway, like it takes 20 years to move my warrior one square!

69king said:
It wouldn't be entirely realistic since each turn is at the very least one full year.

Not true. You can set the scale all the way down to months (look at the WW2 scenario).

I'm researching a weather system for my fantasy mod, since I'm going to be using months for my turn increments. I'm planning on implementing it as a random event type system - snowstorms would happen during winter and spring and would affect the yield of tiles in their radius, make mountains impassible (they're passable by default), and so on.

69king said:
It wouldn't be entirely realistic since each turn is at the very least one full year. But it would be cool to see! And the game isn't temporally realistic anyway, like it takes 20 years to move my warrior one square!

Yes, as stated you can scale it back to months, or rather in this instance Seasons; but it requires that you multiply the Tech factor substantially. For instance, I have my epic Game moded at four seasonal turns per year, and since I now I have 25,000 turns in my game, I have to switch the Tech setting from 100 to 4000. I haven't play tested the 25,000 turns so 4000 may be too high or to low, but its around that, and seems to work out fine.

rezaf said:
If you're willing to pull some SERIOUS amount of work into it, I'd guess this can be modeled in one way or the other using Python.
For example, you can have a set of variables keeping track of the native plot types and then do your math in the beginning of each turn, changing the terrain to copies of their native variants, i.e. you'd have copies of each terrain type for each season. I'm not sure about limiting plane ranges and such, though. Just do a prototype using the Python Class reference. :)
_____
rezaf

I've actually never moded before, Rezaf. And, I know little if anything about programming past wing-ding html, as I call it. I did mod my turns to seasons, and the aspects of the game associated with it, but that's the extent of my experience. :eek:

Top Bottom