• Industrial

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Modern

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Future

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I prefer classical and ancient, although most of my gameplay tends to be in the renaissance, industrial, and modern eras. I don't get to spend much time in classical, but I like to enjoy it as much as possible. Besides, even if it is a brief era, it often has a huge impact on the rest of the game.

I like to start at the Industrial Era. it starts with the Rifle and the automated workers can build Lumbermills and Watermills.

I always start at ancient, or it just doesn't feel right.

I will never play a game that doesn't start in the Ancient era.

I always start in the Ancient Era

I always ALWAYS start in the ancient era but my favorites are Industrial-Modern.

I like when the race is tight between different Civs at right around the industrial age

I voted for Medieval, for a few reasons:

The earlier ages used to be my favorites in Civ2 and 3, but a lot of the joy of expansion has been taken away from the starting game. (Which is a good thing, don't get me wrong; thinking you might be in serious trouble because you didn't beat a neighbor to a fourth city was joyless in a different way.) The thrill of exploration never goes away for me, but all the other headaches have dropped this era from "most favorite" status.

The Medieval era has the best range of choices, options, and unit viability, at least on Noble. Choices include picking between new buildings and new units, and how they fit into the situation as you see it; which direction to expand the more optional cities you're going to build (the first three tend to be fairly clear-cut, eh?); and picking a direction to research based on something other than the terrain is nice.

Options: you have enough of an empire at this point to start feeling as if you're headed somewhere, and have something to work with. You also have the feeling, or at least I do, that you can make a mistake and still recover from it, in a way you can't when you have two cities and a third on the way.

Units: this is an era when the old units aren't so obsolete that sending them off to war doesn't feel like a way of managing your treasury. Horse Archers and Chariots can at least nibble on Macemen (and Longbowmen who actually venture into the field), and Archers with the right promotions are still almost good enough. The mix of new and old units means you have to think a bit before you use them, too, unlike the arms race that starts with Gunpowder and continues to the end of the game.

tomsnowman123 said:
I think this poll is asking favorite era, not favorite era to start a game with.

The poll has "random" as an option and mirrors the custom game screen to select an era. This is why I voted Ancient as it seems the poll is asking your favorite era to start in. Rather than random there should be an option of "I like them all equally" if the intention is to select your favorite in general.

uncarved block said:
I voted for Medieval, for a few reasons:

The earlier ages used to be my favorites in Civ2 and 3, but a lot of the joy of expansion has been taken away from the starting game. (Which is a good thing, don't get me wrong; thinking you might be in serious trouble because you didn't beat a neighbor to a fourth city was joyless in a different way.) The thrill of exploration never goes away for me, but all the other headaches have dropped this era from "most favorite" status.

The Medieval era has the best range of choices, options, and unit viability, at least on Noble. Choices include picking between new buildings and new units, and how they fit into the situation as you see it; which direction to expand the more optional cities you're going to build (the first three tend to be fairly clear-cut, eh?); and picking a direction to research based on something other than the terrain is nice.

Options: you have enough of an empire at this point to start feeling as if you're headed somewhere, and have something to work with. You also have the feeling, or at least I do, that you can make a mistake and still recover from it, in a way you can't when you have two cities and a third on the way.

Units: this is an era when the old units aren't so obsolete that sending them off to war doesn't feel like a way of managing your treasury. Horse Archers and Chariots can at least nibble on Macemen (and Longbowmen who actually venture into the field), and Archers with the right promotions are still almost good enough. The mix of new and old units means you have to think a bit before you use them, too, unlike the arms race that starts with Gunpowder and continues to the end of the game.

Nice quote, thanks.

Top Bottom